Thread: Ivory key to playoffs next year

Ivory key to playoffs next year

I'm one of the guys that actually mocked this kid early in the season, talked trash about him. But he has turned into a monster and I'm glad to eat some crow here. If this guy can stay healthy and average at least 20-25 carries per game I think we're a lock to get into the post season. If the defense plays well and if whoever plays QB takes care of the football (the way Geno did yesterday). I think the O-Line can do even better and hopefully they'll bench Winters again, he's been horrible in pass protection and clearly not an upgrade at run blocking over Ducasse but that's another story. Ivory reminds me of a mix between Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch. Doesn't have quite the quickness/skills/speed of AP but he's more physical than Lynch and a great finisher, better than both right now I think. Probably one of the reasons why he gets nicked up a lot because he dishes out a lot of punishment and takes a lot of hits in a run, when 95% of the backs would fall down after contact he just keeps his legs moving and runs people over.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm very glad Izdik picked him up.
    I love players who go hard like that!
    And he barely got used in NO. Not bad at all for a 4th!

Practice Squad
    Yeah love the way he runs as much as I love the gifs above. Imagine if the Jets actually had real threats at the WR/TE spots?

Even though I've seen many here say, I don't think RB is an area of need here, especially w/ Goodson coming back (assuming he does). The Jets primary need should be to build up that OLine, address the WR/TE and consider getting some better safeties.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    I'm one of the guys that actually mocked this kid early in the season, talked trash about him. But he has turned into a monster and I'm glad to eat some crow here. If this guy can stay healthy and average at least 20-25 carries per game I think we're a lock to get into the post season. If the defense plays well and if whoever plays QB takes care of the football (the way Geno did yesterday). I think the O-Line can do even better and hopefully they'll bench Winters again, he's been horrible in pass protection and clearly not an upgrade at run blocking over Ducasse but that's another story. Ivory reminds me of a mix between Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch. Doesn't have quite the quickness/skills/speed of AP but he's more physical than Lynch and a great finisher, better than both right now I think. Probably one of the reasons why he gets nicked up a lot because he dishes out a lot of punishment and takes a lot of hits in a run, when 95% of the backs would fall down after contact he just keeps his legs moving and runs people over.
    Ivory has actually gotten better as the season has gone on.

Unfortunately, he's not going to last long because of the way he runs.

Rookie
    Spot on OP, spot on. I think we're set at RB which is a relief. For that matter I don't think we have to spend resources on QB for the 2014 season either. Geno has earned another year under center and we do have so many other wholes to fill.

Veteran
    As someone who was skeptical of giving up a 4th round pick for Ivory - I'll eat crow on this one and say that he was not only a great addition to the team this year, but the way he runs seems to fit in with Rex's philosophy more than any RB we've had since 2009.

It's unfortunate that the Goodson signing was such a failure (between his arrest and subsequent injury) because his speed would have complimented Ivory nicely.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Ivory has actually gotten better as the season has gone on.

Unfortunately, he's not going to last long because of the way he runs.
    Marshawn Lynch has the same problem but he's hell when he's well.. Come to think of it Earl Campbell was the same way..

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Forget the playoffs next year& maybe for the next 5 years.You guys had a coach get you to 2 AFC championship ggames in his first 5 yeats as a head coach while being cap strape for cash to sign players cause of Mr.T. ,thats why the last 2 years were bad.imagine what rex would do with 13 draft picks & ,40 million in cap space this year.but this lousey org. will rebuild.again and be bad for at least 5 more years!

What is there to rebuild. We need a couple decent receivers, or at least 1 really good one. Somebody to compete with Geno. On defense maybe a decent corner and a couple of pass rushers, or at least one really good one since Barnes is gonna be back anyway. Thats about it. All that can be done via FA/Draft, no need to rebuild. We have everything in place, a good running game and a good defense, we just need way better QB play and some receivers to make some plays in the passing game.

All League
    Would love to have Ivory/Powell on 1st/2nd down and Goodson on 3rd down next season

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post

you just compared our running back who has never had a 1,000 yards in a season to a combination of AP and Marshawn Lynch (arguably the two best running backs in the NFL)... I can understand that Ivory is physical but he is just nowhere near those guys. I am on your side in regards to keeping Ivory but I dont think that we should just ignore the RB position if theres a chance to upgrade it via draft or FA.

AP is on a different planet and way more dangerous of course but Ivory right now in my opinion is the best guy in the NFL when it comes to yards after contact. Never said he's as accomplished or as good a player. Of course AP is by far the best and a different animal because he's the total package. But Ivory right now is playing more physical I think, he's like a bowling ball. If he keeps it up I'd even take him over Lynch who I haven't been impressed by lately.