Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different perspective on Rex

All League

Different perspective on Rex

So I was on my way back from finishing my holiday shopping and I am listening the the Fan sports talk show here in pittsburgh. They were discussing the scenarios that need to play out in order for the steelers to get in.

They were talking about the jets and how they need to win and then they went on a tangent about Rex. One of the guys made a statement that "here is a guy who very well could get fired but probably deserves coach of the year consideration". The other 2 guys said that he will probably get hired in a heartbeat and that he took the least talented team in the league and is leading them to potentially an 8-8 year. They said if u line up each player, the jets would overall have less talent then Jacksonville. Thought it was an interesting perspective from sports guys from elsewhere than NY.

Hall Of Fame
    How is that a different perspective?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    How is that a different perspective?
    In terms of opinion, its not.

In terms of WHERE its coming from, it is.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

So it's not a different perspective. Got it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I think Rex did more with a very low level talent roster. +1 for Rex.

What's the reason the roster is very low level talent? -1 for Rex.

The Jets put all their eggs in their basket for the 2009 but more so the 2010 season, signing everyone and acquiring everyone they could. It killed us to give away all those draft picks, even starting a year before on Kris Jenkins. Just at a glance, we gave up a 2nd, two 3rds, and two 5ths on 3 players, of which we only got a full season out of one. A 5th for Holmes. Eventually add 4th for Tebow. The hits just keep coming. Rex and whoever you want to blame (Tanny, Woody, the Pope) are responsible.
    Last edited by John_0515; 12-23-2013 at 03:04 PM.

No offense, but this is a perspective being used by a majority of fans who support Rex.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

Exactly

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    No offense, but this is a perspective being used by a majority of fans who support Rex.
    It's just what I heard on the radio here in pittsburgh. Take it for what it's worth.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    It's just what I heard on the radio here in pittsburgh. Take it for what it's worth.
    Thank you!!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

The Jets put all their eggs in their basket for the 2009 but more so the 2010 season, signing everyone and acquiring everyone they could. It killed us to give away all those draft picks, even starting a year before on Kris Jenkins. Just at a glance, we gave up a 2nd, two 3rds, and two 5ths on 3 players, of which we only got a full season out of one. A 5th for Holmes. Eventually add 4th for Tebow. The hits just keep coming. Rex and whoever you want to blame (Tanny, Woody, the Pope) are responsible.

John you have said this before and I respect you.

I just don't understand the logic; how in the world could the Jets go all in with a rookie QB who only had 1 year college experience, had developmental needs and whose college coach said he (Sanchez) was not ready for the NFL?

To me drafting Sanchez should have signaled that it was a time to rebuild not go for it all.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    John you have said this before and I respect you.

I just don't understand the logic; how in the world could the Jets go all in with a rookie QB who only had 1 year college experience, had developmental needs and whose college coach said he (Sanchez) was not ready for the NFL?

To me drafting Sanchez should have signaled that it was a time to rebuild not go for it all.
    If the Jets were rebuilding, why would they give up so many draft choices for all those players so quickly? I think perhaps it was "acquire as you go" and they raised their expectations as the 2009 season went along and then into 2010, 11, etc.

I don't think it was a planned philosophy to just grab the big name by Tanny, it was just his inexperience showing up. Everyone devalues future draft picks because they want instant gratification or instant production. There were plenty of fans that were fine with the trade ups to go get someone they liked, it just happened to not work out, so it looks much worse in the end. If ended up say trading up for Russel Wilson last year instead of Shonn Greene in the past, it looks great. I think Tanny was too inexperienced to let the board come to him, and just focused in on certain players and looked for ways to get them, much similar to how people play a fantasy draft at first with stars and scrubs instead of a balanced team. It works, if you are good at getting talent off the scrap heap that turn into studs, but Tanny wasn't good at that, so we failed.

I don't know if we're less talented than Jacksonville, but we don't have 8 win talent on the team, especially on offense. Even on defense, we're basically throwing 2 rookies out there, two players getting their first shot at playing time in Davis and Snacks, another player playing a prominent role for the first time in Allen. This wasn't a veteran defense that was proven coming into the year. These guys are bound to be better as they gain more experience, but even our "dominant" side in terms of talent was pretty much unproven past Wilkerson.

However, I think the Jets are setup much better than the Jags and a few other bottom dwelling teams, because of cap space, and because almost all the young players improved their outlook and really showed talent. The only young guy on defense that we realistically needed a big year out of, and disappointed is Milliner, and he's improving towards the end of the year. I think Richardson, Davis, Snacks, Allen all have been better than we were expecting, with Coples getting better but hard to tell because of the position change. If Barnes can come back healthy, could end up being a very solid yet young defense.

Veteran

Nothing wrong with trading away picks. Its a smart strategy. Rounds 1-3 are the only ones that matter. The difference between a 4rth rounder and a UDFA is marginal.

I know everyone likes to kill Tanny for trading away those useless later round picks, but thats really not the problem.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Nothing wrong with trading away picks. Its a smart strategy. Rounds 1-3 are the only ones that matter. The difference between a 4rth rounder and a UDFA is marginal.
    Please be trolling.

So I was on my way back from finishing my holiday shopping and I am listening the the Fan sports talk show here in pittsburgh. They were discussing the scenarios that need to play out in order for the steelers to get in.

They were talking about the jets and how they need to win and then they went on a tangent about Rex. One of the guys made a statement that "here is a guy who very well could get fired but probably deserves coach of the year consideration". The other 2 guys said that he will probably get hired in a heartbeat and that he took the least talented team in the league and is leading them to potentially an 8-8 year. They said if u line up each player, the jets would overall have less talent then Jacksonville. Thought it was an interesting perspective from sports guys from elsewhere than NY.
    Thanks for sharing. Only the anti-Rex clan cannot see what the majority of football fans and those who follow the sport can see -- Rex is a hell of a coach. Mark my words, once he is fired, he will go somewhere else and win a SB. Meanwhile, Idzik will bring in "his guy" and fail big time setting the franchise back due to his ego. A true leader in management is an individual who can inherit a situation and make the sum of the parts into a whole. By firing Rex, Idzik is telling us he cannot adapt to the environment he inherited and needs to blow it up for it to work. I say that's b/s. With a few moves that Idzik needs to make, the Jets can win. Rex has done it before and can do it again.

Yeah too bad they don't know that this is rex's team. he built it. the program, the players, the coaches, the penalties, the breakdowns, the bad calls, the undiscipline, the takeovers. all of it is on the coach. So imagine if we had a real coach we might've won those 7 games instead of winning 5 and being given 2.

rex is bad.

can't wait for black monday.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post

I know everyone likes to kill Tanny for trading away those useless later round picks, but thats really not the problem.
    Leon Washington, Jericho Cotchery, and Kerry Rhodes say hello!!

All League
    It's the same dumb perspective that is only a really lame EXCUSE for a coach that some people like. He is not a good head coach, and three consecutive late season collapses, a defense that has gotten worse every year despite a big influx of talent, and Ryan actively destroying the offense all point to a crappy coach which Rex is.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Sorry John, Rex was not the guy responsible for trading away draft picks, that falls squarely on Tannenbaum's shoulders.

Tanny may have asked for Rex's input as far as what he thought of a particular player - but as far as actually pulling the trigger and deciding how many draft picks to trade away, that's squarely the general manager's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    It's the same dumb perspective that is only a really lame EXCUSE for a coach that some people like. He is not a good head coach, and three consecutive late season collapses, a defense that has gotten worse every year despite a big influx of talent, and Ryan actively destroying the offense all point to a crappy coach which Rex is.
    You are so lost I actually feel embarassed for you. Since 2009 the defense got progressively worse b/c of age and being slow, not b/c of Rex. Although the 2013 Jets defense is talented they are also young which breeds inconsistency and that's what we saw this year. As far as the offense goes, the blame goes to not having a legitimate QB his whole tenure. The last 5 years he has gotten terrible to below average QB play and even with that Rex still has an above .500 record. I really hope you leave this site when he gets extended.