Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets should pursue Kyle Orton in the offseason

Jets should pursue Kyle Orton in the offseason

The Jets should try to sign Kyle Orton in the offseason. He's a very good quarterback and he's a proven commodity. He hasn't hardly played for Dallas the last 3 seasons plus they screwed him over on his contract and forced him to take a paycut earlier this year. He could be an immediate solid starter for the Jets.

Check out his '08 thru '11 stats... He's a consistent 60% completion passer, always throws significantly more TD's than INT's, doesn't hardly ever fumble, and has won plenty of games in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/player/kyleorton/2506444/profile

Jets should seriously look into signing him in my opinion. He's basically a solid starting quarterback trapped behind a big contract quarterback on the same roster.

As a solidified backup and insurance if Geno bombs? Sure.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Drugs and lots of them.

Orton is 31 years old, so that's young enough to play yet old enough to groom another QB like Geno for the future. It seems like a no-brainer if it can be done.

All League
    Wouldn't mind bringing him in as a backup. Would love to see Geno have a great final game in Miami and a good camp/exhibition season. But we need a viable backup..

Hall Of Fame
    Doesn't surprise me that the Tebow fan also thinks Kyle Orton is "very good". Lol, dem standards.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Drugs and lots of them.
    Agreed, but what does that have to do with this thread?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Doesn't surprise me that the Tebow fan also thinks Kyle Orton is "very good". Lol, dem standards.
    I wouldn't want him as my undisputed starter, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better veteran backup option.

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in to compete with Geno.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Wouldn't mind bringing him in as a backup. Would love to see Geno have a great final game in Miami and a good camp/exhibition season. But we need a viable backup..

No, not as a backup. Geno as the backup (as he would have been under Sanchez this season). Orton the starter for the next 2 or 3 years, then Geno unless Orton is still playing at a high level. We don't owe Geno anything, he's a 2nd round pick. Orton is a better QB than Geno or Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    No, not as a backup. Geno as the backup (as he would have been under Sanchez this season). Orton the starter for the next 2 or 3 years, then Geno unless Orton is still playing at a high level. We don't owe Geno anything, he's a 2nd round pick. Orton is a better QB than Geno or Sanchez.
    Drugs are bad.

All League
    Considering he's not a free agent, it would be a very short pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Pff... I'm not turning this into a Tebow thread. I wasn't for Tebow, I was disgusted with Sanchez. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Drugs are bad.
    So your answer is Geno Smith next year? Kid's a turnover machine. Some of it's not his fault but some of it is. Kid needs more time. The Jets need a proven starter. Orton's a proven starter.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Orton's a proven starter.
    No, Orton's a proven backup.

Veteran
    Orton the starter for the next 2 or 3 years
    Jesus Christ.

So your answer is Geno Smith next year? Kid's a turnover machine. Some of it's not his fault but some of it is. Kid needs more time. The Jets need a proven starter. Orton's a proven starter.
    Orton has not started in quite sometime, it's not as if his play will miraculously return. I would prefer to stick with Geno, surround himself with weapons, and hope for progression. When Geno has solidified time in the pocket, he has proven he can step into his throws, and throw a laser.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Orton has not started in quite sometime, it's not as if his play will miraculously return. I would prefer to stick with Geno, surround himself with weapons, and hope for progression. When Geno has solidified time in the pocket, he has proven he can step into his throws, and throw a laser.
    Yeah he's also proven he can throw the ball to the other team too. We need an experienced quarterback. Bringing Sanchez back isn't an option. Orton is an option. If you have a couple more proven experienced options I'd like to hear them.

All Pro
    Dallas isnt letting him go and he isnt a FA.

Yeah he's also proven he can throw the ball to the other team too. We need an experienced quarterback. Bringing Sanchez back isn't an option. Orton is an option. If you have a couple more proven experienced options I'd like to hear them.
    Why settle for Orton as a starting QB? He will NEVER take us to a Super Bowl. I would prefer to find out thoroughly what we have in Geno, or draft another QB. I believe in the mantra of drafting QB's, until you find the right one.

Look we were forced to go with Geno this year, that wasn't the plan. Sanchez was going to be the starter and Geno was going to sit. So the Jets bit the bullet and started the rookie because it's the only option they had. Now it's time for an experienced starter, and Orton is experienced and has solid stats. Seems like a valid option.