Thread: Have we been suffering from offensive series anemia under Rex?

Rookie

Have we been suffering from offensive series anemia under Rex?

We can all agree that offensive series are a good thing, the more per game the merrier. Offensive series provide the O chances to let the OC coach, to let the players play, to build on past success, to put past mistakes behind them, to score points, to gel, to build momentum, to quiet the crowd, to control the game, to keep the opposing offense off the field, to control the time of possession, etc., etc., etc.

Offensive series are preceded by:
    *Three and outs
    *Interceptions and fumble recoveries
    *The other team putting up points (artificially inflated by pick 6ís & fumbles run for 6, and safeties).
    *The initial kickoff of the 1st or 2nd half.
    *On sides kick recoveries, both theirs and ours.

It seems to me that under Rex Ryanís bend but donít break defense of the past five years this defense has all too often been unable to get off the field. It may be due to untimely penalties. It may be due to too many third down conversions. It may be due to coaching mistakes. It may be due to these and any number of other things in combination. Whatever the cause, Iíve come to believe that it results in what Iíve come to think of as offensive series anemia.

Iím not a big stats guy and I donít have access to them like some here I know do. I wonder if anyone can provide info on the # of NYJ offensive series over the past 5 years compared to the other 31 teams. Could offensive series anemia be one root cause for Rexís poor offense and poor player development on the offensive side of the ball? OTOH, the stat might be insignificant. Just food for thought, Jets fans.

All League
    I'm sorry,I've read this a couple of times now and I still don't understand what you are getting at although I am several sherries into Christmas Day so I will look again when sober.

Defense has disappointed this year in several key aspects and actually the last few weeks the offense has started to function pretty solidly so theoretically should be making the D's job easier

Rookie
    I'm saying that the defense can't get off the field. Even if they don't give up points they are not stopping the other team quickly and often enough to give our offense the ball back. So the offense sits there and gets cold and doesn't ever build up any momentum.

If the defense would get us the ball back quicker and more often then each offensive series wouldn't feel so precious and perhaps the offense could relax and play better.
    Last edited by LIJetsFan; 12-25-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes and no. Our defense has given up many long drives the past couple of years. Also, most teams opt to take the ball at half so that is not a Rex Ryan phenomenon.

There are a lot of contributing factors but the biggest reason why we haven't had held the ball for long is b.c the offense sucks as a whole. And you can make the case that Rex shares responsibility in that.

Rookie
    No, I'm not talking about holding on the the ball. I'm taking about how often we get the ball back during the game. If finally getting the ball is a big event rather than just another possession then the offense might feel "undo" pressure to perform.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    No, I'm not talking about holding on the the ball. I'm taking about how often we get the ball back during the game. If finally getting the ball is a big event rather than just another possession then the offense might feel "undo" pressure to perform.
    This year the Jets D ranks 13th in opponent plays per drive. Not great, but not bad either, just slightly above average. Last year they were 5th, 2011 1st, 2010 3rd, 2009 3rd.

So this year they've just been average at getting the ball back for the offense, but every other year under Rex they've been top 5. So what you're saying makes no sense for the Jets.

On the flipside, offense was 23rd in 2009, 16th in 2010, 29th in 2011, 25th in 2012, and 31st this year.

As for number of offensive drives, this year Jets have had 173, league average is 163. Jets have had more offensive drives than average every year under Rex.

You can find these drive stats at Football Outsiders. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

Rookie
    So much for that pet theory. Thanks jpoppy7. I didn't realize the info was so readily available either.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    So much for that pet theory. Thanks jpoppy7. I didn't realize the info was so readily available either.
    You're welcome. It's some really interesting stats if you take the time to look at them. After all, since teams don't have the same number of drives over the course of the year, yards per drive and points per drive tell a lot more than just total yards or total points.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    This year the Jets D ranks 13th in opponent plays per drive. Not great, but not bad either, just slightly above average. Last year they were 5th, 2011 1st, 2010 3rd, 2009 3rd.

So this year they've just been average at getting the ball back for the offense, but every other year under Rex they've been top 5. So what you're saying makes no sense for the Jets.

On the flipside, offense was 23rd in 2009, 16th in 2010, 29th in 2011, 25th in 2012, and 31st this year.

As for number of offensive drives, this year Jets have had 173, league average is 163. Jets have had more offensive drives than average every year under Rex.

You can find these drive stats at Football Outsiders. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats
    Thanks for posting. So the issue is not the number of drives, but what they do with the drives they get, as they seem to be 30th or below in just about every "per drive" measure that is shown.

All League
    When Parcells came on board there was a great article in the NYT about hidden yardage. The general point was that two big areas can really position a team for victory in a game:
    1. Yards per offensive series
    2. Special Teams

The thought being that you can turn field position around over several series if you can get some positive yardage offensively and also pick up hidden yardage in having a positive difference between the differential of your punting team vs. the opposing teams punting team. it is by far the main reason he was able to go from 1-15 to 9-7 the next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post

Stats are nice but the one I like is in 07 the O was ranked 25th Favre came in and in 08 they were 9th even with his bad arm. Good QB play is the most important factor period..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Stats are nice but the one I like is in 07 the O was ranked 25th Favre came in and in 08 they were 9th even with his bad arm. Good QB play is the most important factor period..
    Unfortunately Favre also had us last in interceptions per drive in 2008.

Rookie
    I can see why the OP would get the hunch for the thread because we can be depressing on third down. I am a big Rex fan, but think he's gotten very predictable on 3rd down with the overloads and we end up getting burnt a lot when we blitz...