Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick fix for the offense

All Pro

Quick fix for the offense

Having hopefully 2 third round picks will allow Idzik to take one chance I believe we should take to fix this offense for 2014.
    The new rules have made it almost impossible to stop TEs. As Jet fans, we have seen 1st hand how even our resident defensive genius Rex Ryan has trouble stopping TEs.
    Unless your the 49ers & have someone like Navarro Bowman or the Panthers Luke Keuckly, not many LBs can keep with a top TE. You can't run through them so they can box out, they are usually taller which allows the QB to throw slightly higher & let them go get the ball.
    With the high amount of QBs that will come off the boards before our pick, pass rushers, left tackles, I believe that the Jets might have their choice of the best TEs coming out.
    Amaro, Ebron, Jenkins, might all be there when we pick in the 1st round.
    It's imperative that we get Geno a big target, safety valve.
    Here's where things can get interesting. I don't know if he will still be there in the 2nd round after he blows away scouts & GMs in the combine.
    Will Colt Lyerla still be there in the 2nd round? If he is do the Jets hold their nose & add probably one of the most dynamic, tough, talented TE/HB in the draft?
    With 2 third rounders & a 4th left the Jets could still get their young WR, Safety, LB, CB.
    Imagine coming out of the draft with 2 dynamic TEs, ie. Ebron & Lyerla!
    Idzik could go Golden Tate & Jeremy Maclin at WR in free agency. That's an awesome group of skill players for Geno to learn with & all of them have YAC ability.
    You would have Tate, Maclin, Kerley, Ebron, Lyerla, Nelson, Hill.
    If the Jets have a RB fall to them in the 3rd round that is quick with great hands that would really round out the offense. MM could be very creative with a group like this! Could you imagine when they switch into a run option mode if you had Maclin, Tate & Lyerla (who has actually run plays out of the backfield).
    You would make it difficult for defenses to practice for you. This would be a group that 1 missed tackle leads to a huge gain. Plus it wouldn't cost a fortune in free agency as you would only be signing 2 WRs.
    That would leave plenty of FA funds to fix our defensive problems at CB & Safety.
    2014 season would be exciting as hell with a group like that, what say yee?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Thought this was part of the Drug thread, but it can't be there is no quick fix for the O.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Thought this was part of the Drug thread, but it can't be there is no quick fix for the O.
    Thanks for your input.

All Pro
    It's simple.

A mid level free agent at WR that's reliable like you mentioned. Tate or Maclin.
    Draft WR/WR or WR/TE.

Offense improved.

WR usually take a year before they make any kind of impact

I am the leader of the Eric Ebron Bandwagon this year. I think we may be in a spot that is considered a reach to take him in the first but I still wouldnt mind if we did.

If things went perfectly the offseason for me would be:
    1. Sign Maclin
    2. Draft Sammy Watkins First round (13-15 range)
    3. Draft Eric Ebron in 2nd (even if we have to trade up to the first few picks of the 2nd round to get him. we have the picks to make that happen)

Now I do believe that Ebron will climb this offseason because of his measurables and he should test very well but if we made this happen, I would be astounded.

Practice Squad
    One thing we have to keep in mind as fans is Idzik will no doubt take a much more methodical approach to the draft than we've seen under the Tanny regime. I think we've seen a small sample of that in last year's draft. Idzik wanted Tavon Austin but wasn't willing to move up and get him and held steady with our draft picks. While we need playmakers on offense big time, if Idzik feels their talent level doesn't justify their draft position he simple won't draft them. That's not to say we'll end up drafting 5 more D-lineman if their available but drafting purely by need is not the answer and is how you end up drafting guys like Stephen Hill...all the potential in the world but never contribute or pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    I am the leader of the Eric Ebron Bandwagon this year. I think we may be in a spot that is considered a reach to take him in the first but I still wouldnt mind if we did.

If things went perfectly the offseason for me would be:
    1. Sign Maclin
    2. Draft Sammy Watkins First round (13-15 range)
    3. Draft Eric Ebron in 2nd (even if we have to trade up to the first few picks of the 2nd round to get him. we have the picks to make that happen)

Now I do believe that Ebron will climb this offseason because of his measurables and he should test very well but if we made this happen, I would be astounded.
    I like Ebron, but I'm thinking he goes higher in the first.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by killu4what View Post
    I agree, that's why the Pats like to have vets & draft a few WRs to bring along slowly.

Hall Of Fame
    Cordarrelle Patterson says hi.

The quick fix would be sign a maclin/edelman type. Draft a TE early. And pray that Stephen hill becomes something closer to what he was supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    43 catches 430+ yards and 3 touchdowns. 150 of those yards came against the ravens. He has looked good last few games that I saw. I'm not going to pretend that I saw a lot of the early games but he seems to prove my point. He is starting to make an impact at the end of the year.

Hall Of Fame
    43 catches 430+ yards and 3 touchdowns. 150 of those yards came against the ravens. He has looked good last few games that I saw. I'm not going to pretend that I saw a lot of the early games but he seems to prove my point. He is starting to make an impact at the end of the year.
    You just contradicted your own point. Originally, you said WRs rarely make an impact in their first season.

BTW, Patterson's scored an offensive TD in four straight games. When's the last time a Jets WR has done that?

Their are NO quick fixes. Rookies take time to develop into weapons and free agents are NEVER worth the money. I am hoping for a competent offense next season that improves as the season progresses into an above average offense.

Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    One thing we have to keep in mind as fans is Idzik will no doubt take a much more methodical approach to the draft than we've seen under the Tanny regime. I think we've seen a small sample of that in last year's draft. Idzik wanted Tavon Austin but wasn't willing to move up and get him and held steady with our draft picks. While we need playmakers on offense big time, if Idzik feels their talent level doesn't justify their draft position he simple won't draft them. That's not to say we'll end up drafting 5 more D-lineman if their available but drafting purely by need is not the answer and is how you end up drafting guys like Stephen Hill...all the potential in the world but never contribute or pan out.
    You have a good grasp on how Idzik will operate his draft. He will draft BPA. Or if possible...trade down if he feels the value isn't there for the pick. And at this stage of the rebuild...Idzik will not utilize draft picks to move into higher positions. He will keep all 12 picks and hope to hit lots of singles-doubles...with a few triples-home runs sprinkled in their too. As he has told us...draft picks will be his main lifeline for stock piling talent for present and future starters.

Idzik will also not shoot his CAP load in acquiring FAs to fill needs. As he did last year...Idzik will spend prudently and hunt for bargain low risk pickups...that will not have a negative long range impact on the CAP. If they bust...Idzik can simply cut them and move on.

Veteran
    Keenan Allen says whats up

Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Keenan Allen says whats up
    Hey you got one there. I said "usually" .It definitely takes a while for WRs to transition "most" of the time. I'm all for drafting multiple wide outs. I just would not expect it to be a quick fix like the title says.

PS I'm sure all the recievers that took a year to make an impact say hi/what's up too.
    Last edited by killu4what; 12-26-2013 at 03:43 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Their are NO quick fixes. Rookies take time to develop into weapons and free agents are NEVER worth the money. I am hoping for a competent offense next season that improves as the season progresses into an above average offense.
    That's why the Jets should target someone like Maclin 1st, coming off injury he won't be able to demand as much.
    I agree that the Jets should not dive head first into FA, and Idzik won't.
    The best deals will come when teams resign their own FAs, start getting backed up to the cap & the Jets will be one of those teams that player agents keep an eye on knowing they have money to spend.
    The days of the Tannebaum splashes on the 1st of free agency are over, I could see Idzik determining a value, giving an agent an offer & moving on & leaving them in the dust if they are unreasonable.

Hall Of Fame
    Hey you got one there. I said "usually" .It definitely takes a while for WRs to transition "most" of the time. I'm all for drafting multiple wide outs. I just would not expect it to be a quick fix like the title says.

PS I'm sure all the recievers that took a year to make an impact say hi/what's up too.
    Nice backpedaling.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Another poster that only watches Jets and highlights of others games. Patterson has ONE game with more than 54 yards receiving ALL Season. If a Jet rookie had these yardage totals in his first 12 games, posters like you would be calling for Idzik to be fired:

Total yards Recieving by game:

And after that one freakish game against Baltimore, right back to 35 yards and 8 yards in his next two games.

Do you still think Patterson has been good his first season?