Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If Rex were to be fired, who would be your top choice?

All League

If Rex were to be fired, who would be your top choice?

I have no idea if he's really going to get fired or not, but if he does go, who would you want? There a lot of guys qualified for the job, but if I had the choice, I'd go with Ken Whisenhunt. Here's why:

- Coached Arizona to their first SB appearance ever.
    - Was only fired from that job because he had no QB.
    - Showed up in SD and magically helped turn Philip Rivers back into a franchise QB.
    - Was the OC of the Steelers when they won the SB with 2nd year QB Ben Roethlisberger.
    - Lots of head coaches adjust from their first head coaching job to their second and get a lot better (Belichick, Shanahan, Carroll, Coughlin)

I think he'd be a really good hire.

Hall Of Fame
    Wouldn't be against Ken coming here.

He's a proven HC and not another College-Coach rookie experiment that's unknown....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    I have no idea if he's really going to get fired or not, but if he does go, who would you want? There a lot of guys qualified for the job, but if I had the choice, I'd go with Ken Whisenhunt. Here's why:

- Showed up in SD and magically helped turn Philip Rivers back into a franchise QB.
    - Was the OC of the Steelers when they won the SB with 2nd year QB Ben Roethlisberger.
    - Lots of head coaches adjust from their first head coaching job to their second and get a lot better (Belichick, Shanahan, Carroll, Coughlin)

I wouldn't have a problem with Whisenhunt but if Rex had a Bowl winning QB like Ken did he would have made a bowl or 2 also..

Hall Of Fame
    Whisenhunt is my choice, not only because of his offensive prowess, but I believe that the players would respect him more and be able to buy into his system more as they are transitioning from Rex, who they all like.

I don't think the Jets should bring in a first time coach because I don't know if said person can garner that respect.

Veteran
    Ken has done great in SD with limited "name" weapons. Turned around Rivers and Matthews. He also has HC experience. I would actually like this hire a lot.

Hall Of Fame
    Bill O' Brien is my first choice.

I'd also be happy with Darrell Bevell, Greg Roman, Jay Gruden, and even Whisenhunt.

Bevell I suppose. Not alot of great candidates out there and the Jets have to get an offensive coach otherwise no point.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Whisenhunt is my choice, not only because of his offensive prowess, but I believe that the players would respect him more and be able to buy into his system more as they are transitioning from Rex, who they all like.

I don't think the Jets should bring in a first time coach because I don't know if said person can garner that respect.
    Whisenhunt really crapped out after Kurt Warner retired. People bash Shanahan for not winning more Super Bowls after Elway retired he developed Cutler, Jake Plummer and Brian Griese had their best years with him in his offense, RG3 had a very good rookie year yes he regressed but also had a serious knee injury that forced him to miss an entire offseason TC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Whisenhunt really crapped out after Kurt Warner retired. People bash Shanahan for not winning more Super Bowls after Elway retired he developed Cutler, Jake Plummer and Brian Griese had their best years with him in his offense, RG3 had a very good rookie year yes he regressed but also had a serious knee injury that forced him to miss an entire offseason TC.
    All true and good points..

All League
    I dont get the Bevell obssession. I didnt know much about him so I did some research and nothing stands out really. He seems to have limited experience and moderate success. I think to many ppl are looking at the Seahawks success in general and not so much what this guy has done. Their offense is not that impressive at all.

Can someone tell me why he is a good option?

And for the record I want to keep Rex but based on what I knoe so far Whisenhunt would be my choice if I had to pick from the names listed so far.

I don't hate Whisenhunt, but here are a few things..

1. That is McCoy's offense in San Diego.

2. You realize that Whisenhunt was only fired because he didn't have a QB yet Rex is in the same exact position. Except Rex managed to go deep in the playoffs TWICE without a QB. In an era where teams just don't do that.

I think Whisenhunt would be a lateral move so I wouldn't hate it, but still think Rex is the best option. Just get him an offense. Either Geno get better or get him a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    I dont get the Bevell obssession. I didnt know much about him so I did some research and nothing stands out really. He seems to have limited experience and moderate success. I think to many ppl are looking at the Seahawks success in general and not so much what this guy has done. Their offense is not that impressive at all.

Can someone tell me why he is a good option?

And for the record I want to keep Rex but based on what I knoe so far Whisenhunt would be my choice if I had to pick from the names listed so far.
    Good luck getting someone to tell you anything on Bevell. People just subscribe to the grass is always greener on the other side. They don't actually sit there are look at the facts and watch Seattle play over a long period of time. They see highlights and scores and get excited. Bevell is no leader on the sideline, he hasn't had any signifiicant success until he got a QB (much like most coaches) and even then his play calling is maddening. THey'll go into a game against a team 32nd against the run and decide to throw the ball 40 times instead of letting Lynch easily win the game.

Out of all of the options out there, I'd agree that Whisenhunt is the best option. And that sucks...

If someone like Chip Kelly or Harbaugh was available, I'd be more for making the switch.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I don't hate Whisenhunt, but here are a few things..

1. That is McCoy's offense in San Diego.

2. You realize that Whisenhunt was only fired because he didn't have a QB yet Rex is in the same exact position. Except Rex managed to go deep in the playoffs TWICE without a QB. In an era where teams just don't do that.

I think Whisenhunt would be a lateral move so I wouldn't hate it, but still think Rex is the best option. Just get him an offense. Either Geno get better or get him a QB.
    This. Whisenhunt was not a very good coach once Warner retired, oh and he had Fitz and Bolden. Warner made that team.

Marty Morningwehg. Has head coaching experience, and Geno won't have to start over with a new offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkjet24 View Post
    This. Whisenhunt was not a very good coach once Warner retired, oh and he had Fitz and Bolden. Warner made that team.
    Whisenhunt stunk once Warner was gone. I don't get the man-love for this guy on this messageboard.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Whisenhunt stunk once Warner was gone. I don't get the man-love for this guy on this messageboard.
    Some people just want a change so badly, they don't care who.

All League
    Let's be fair though. It's not like they went from Warner to an average guy like Schaub. In that game last year against the Jets, they were playing Ryan Lindley at QB. No one is winning anything with that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jerricho89 View Post
    Marty Morningwehg. Has head coaching experience, and Geno won't have to start over with a new offense.
    If that's the case there is no reason to get rid of Rex.. A new guy will want his staff and maybe his own QB..

All League

He's only had success when he had a QB. When Warner retired he could never develop a QB and absolutely stuck out
    with Kevin Kolb. There is no sure fire, can't miss coach out there for all of those who want Ryan out of the door

Quote Originally Posted by Starkjet24 View Post
    Some people just want a change so badly, they don't care who.
    Whisenhunt would be such an uninspired choice. Let's can Rex after he did a pretty good job this year to bring in a below average retread who flopped in Arizona after Kurt Warner left.