Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith and Kerley

All Pro

Geno Smith and Kerley

Everyone has noticed that Geno Smith has played better with Kerley on the field. But what's stunning is how big the difference really is.

Geno Smith's worst 5 games in completion % came in the 4 games Kerley didn't play + the game Kerley got hurt against Saints.

Here are Geno Smith's stats in the games Kerley played (includes Saints stats)

194/326
    59.5% Pass Completion %
    12TDs/12INTs
    5 Rushes / 27 Yards/Game
    22 Points Per Game
    7-4 Record

Here are Geno Smith's stats in the non-Kerley games
    36/90

40% Pass Completion %
    0TDs/9INTs
    2 rushes/6 Yards Per Game
    7.5 Points Per Game
    0-4 Record

Again, I'm not sure if Geno will be a success. But it's striking how much difference have a receiver he trusts out there.

All League
    Great find!

Kerley is our best receiver.. WHen a QB has his best receiver, the numbers are going to go up. Especially when the alternatives are guys off the street.

Isn't it amazing what a QB can do with a receiver that can actually get open and catch the ball?

All League
    We need at least 2 more receivers with the basic skill set (run route, get open, catch ball) that Kerley has

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Kerley is our best receiver.. WHen a QB has his best receiver, the numbers are going to go up. Especially when the alternatives are guys off the street.
    Kerley is a slot receiver. THe Jets had tons of WR injuries this year (Hill missed 4 games, Holmes missed 6 games, Winslow missed 5 games, Cumberland missed a few games), the Jets played 1 game this season with all 3 starting QBs. My point is that the Jets need WRs. I'm not sure if Geno Smith is "the man". It's not just about Kerley being the "best" receiver. It's about Kerley being a guy the Geno trusts to be where he's supposed to be. I still have dim hope that Hill can learn to stretch the field, it's clear that Smith didn't trust Hill and threw balls where he was, rather than where he was going. He never was on the same page as Holmes either. And he didn't have a RB or TE that he could make plays with either. Ivory is a great RB, but he's not a pass catcher. Goodson was supposed to be that guy, but got suspended then hurt.

Veteran
    This is the stuff that makes me waver on Geno. Honestly I feel like he needs ALOT of work. But then when he has a competent receiver he does play fairly well. And let's be honest, Kerley is a "competent" receiver. Give Geno a receiver or two that actually have true #1 ability and I'd seriously be curious to see how he does. And do not give me Holmes. Holmes may have been one in the past, but he most certainly was not this year. His routes sucked, he couldn't catch the ball, and frankly I think he dogged it most of the season.

Rookie
    Very intriguing stats, we need receivers.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    This is the stuff that makes me waver on Geno. Honestly I feel like he needs ALOT of work. But then when he has a competent receiver he does play fairly well. And let's be honest, Kerley is a "competent" receiver. Give Geno a receiver or two that actually have true #1 ability and I'd seriously be curious to see how he does. And do not give me Holmes. Holmes may have been one in the past, but he most certainly was not this year. His routes sucked, he couldn't catch the ball, and frankly I think he dogged it most of the season.
    He absolutely dogged it most of the season... guy was a complete bum.

Off-season Plan should go like this:
    1- Bring in a competent vet QB as competition
    2- Load up on as many weapons as possible on offense.
    3- Give Geno as many resources as possible to succeed, i.e. coaching, training, ahemcontinuitywithmartyahem
    4- Hope Geno wins the job and has a big year... if not then draft a QB in 2015 with the benefit of an offense with players 2 years in a system.

If you want a rookie QB to grow you surround him with players. Hopefully after a few seasons the guy has such a grasp on the offense that you can plug and play WRs and RBs and he can carry them/make them better... but it takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Kerley is a slot receiver. THe Jets had tons of WR injuries this year (Hill missed 4 games, Holmes missed 6 games, Winslow missed 5 games, Cumberland missed a few games), the Jets played 1 game this season with all 3 starting QBs. My point is that the Jets need WRs. I'm not sure if Geno Smith is "the man". It's not just about Kerley being the "best" receiver. It's about Kerley being a guy the Geno trusts to be where he's supposed to be. I still have dim hope that Hill can learn to stretch the field, it's clear that Smith didn't trust Hill and threw balls where he was, rather than where he was going. He never was on the same page as Holmes either. And he didn't have a RB or TE that he could make plays with either. Ivory is a great RB, but he's not a pass catcher. Goodson was supposed to be that guy, but got suspended then hurt.
    I agree 100%. I live in Boston and watch a lot of pats games. Tom Brady was horrible when he didn't have his weapons or continuity with his receiving corps. Geno had zero continuity all year. Injuries suspensions and nelson was not in camp. He sure derserves more time.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Totally agree! Geno has had some ugly games this year but he handles himself well and has shown glimpses. I'm not ready to give up on him yet - he might be the guy, but we definitely need some better WR talent around him. Next year will be very telling.

Everyone has noticed that Geno Smith has played better with Kerley on the field. But what's stunning is how big the difference really is.

Geno Smith's worst 5 games in completion % came in the 4 games Kerley didn't play + the game Kerley got hurt against Saints.

194/326
    59.5% Pass Completion %
    12TDs/12INTs
    5 Rushes / 27 Yards/Game
    22 Points Per Game
    7-4 Record

36/90

40% Pass Completion %
    0TDs/9INTs
    7.5 Points Per Game
    0-4 Record

Again, I'm not sure if Geno will be a success. But it's striking how much difference have a receiver he trusts out there.
    It's really striking the difference there. Geno was a different, better player when he had Kerley. The one guy who could consistently get open (especially on 3rd downs) and actually made tough catches. What's funny is Kerley would be a #3 WR on many NFL teams. Many QBs have a pair of starting WRs better than Kerley. I just think that is why some of our fans may have thrown in the towel a little too quickly on Geno. The kid can make the throws, he just needs guys who can get open and that he can develop chemistry with. Holmes was in and out of the lineup all year, and seems to have dogged it on certain plays. Hill and Gates were just disasters when the ball was thrown their way. Literally nothing good ever happened when Geno targeted Hill and Gates. Geno has started to develop some chemistry with Nelson, but he is a somewhat limited player. The TEs just didn't perform for us this year and even when Winslow did, he couldn't stay on the field bc of the suspension.

All Pro

194/326
    59.5% Pass Completion %
    12TDs/12INTs
    5 Rushes / 27 Yards/Game
    22 Points Per Game
    7-4 Record

36/90

40% Pass Completion %
    0TDs/9INTs
    7.5 Points Per Game
    0-4 Record

Wow.

Veteran
    Kerley is a good player. but it's the trust and chemistry that's far more important than skill. as long as Geno is in the Jets' plan, so too must Kerley and Nelson be.

one thing Jets QB's haven't really had recently is 2-3 years of sustained continuity at the receiver position. it's fine to add beef to the unit, but dangerous to strip it away. having both Kerley and Nelson here for at least two more years will help Geno tremendously (should he remain the starter, of course.. which i think he will). add a dangerous playmaker in the draft and a reliable pair of hands in FA and by year's end the chemistry between those four will give the offense a competence they haven't had since Favre.

and who knows, maybe someone will finally light a fire under Hill's ass and he looks like he belongs.

Just imagine what the Jets O might look like with a couple of 6-3 WR with good hands.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalbarracuda View Post
    He absolutely dogged it most of the season... guy was a complete bum.

Off-season Plan should go like this:
    1- Bring in a competent vet QB as competition
    2- Load up on as many weapons as possible on offense.
    3- Give Geno as many resources as possible to succeed, i.e. coaching, training, ahemcontinuitywithmartyahem
    4- Hope Geno wins the job and has a big year... if not then draft a QB in 2015 with the benefit of an offense with players 2 years in a system.

If you want a rookie QB to grow you surround him with players. Hopefully after a few seasons the guy has such a grasp on the offense that you can plug and play WRs and RBs and he can carry them/make them better... but it takes time.
    The scary thing is you could have written this after 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 (of course minus the name Geno) and it would have made sense and been the right thing to do. Yet here we are still....

What do people think of this mock offseason for WR/TE/Offense?

1. Jeremy Maclin
    2. Sammy Watkins
    3. Jeremy Kerley
    4. David Nelson
    5. Stephen Hill

6. Trade up to Early 2nd round or Late first to get Eric Ebron as well. I know alot of people dont like trading up but this kid has the ability to be Jimmy Graham caliber Tight End. If hes there we should use our bevy of picks and move up to get him. as well as a WR in the first.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    What do people think of this mock offseason for WR/TE/Offense?

1. Jeremy Maclin
    2. Sammy Watkins
    3. Jeremy Kerley
    4. David Nelson
    5. Stephen Hill

6. Trade up to Early 2nd round or Late first to get Eric Ebron as well. I know alot of people dont like trading up but this kid has the ability to be Jimmy Graham caliber Tight End. If hes there we should use our bevy of picks and move up to get him. as well as a WR in the first.
    it's great but Watkins is a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    it's great but Watkins is a pipe dream.
    It depends on whether there is an early run on QBs. Most of the teams that would take WR are also in the running to take a QB. If they all go QB, it's not out of the question that Watkins could slip to us, although it is far more plausible if we lose to Miami than win.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    It depends on whether there is an early run on QBs. Most of the teams that would take WR are also in the running to take a QB. If they all go QB, it's not out of the question that Watkins could slip to us, although it is far more plausible if we lose to Miami than win.
    it's even more realistic that he's the first receiver taken though. good thing this draft has a lot of talent at the position. between Watkins, Evans, Lee, Adams, and dare i say Matthews or Benjamin there could be 5-6+ receivers taken in the first round. hopefully they're all worth it.