Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Only Way I See Bringing Rex back working

All League

The Only Way I See Bringing Rex back working

Is to completely separate him from offensive decisions, and put all offseason focus on rebuilding the offense. So you would need to:

1. Promote MM to Assistant Head Coach/OC and give him prescribed autonomy over the offense
    2. Don't involve Rex in the evaluation or selection of offensive talent and reduce his part in personnel decisions dramatically
    3. Draft offense in the early rounds of the draft especially WR TE

I am still not sure it will work as at the first sign of offensive adversity will want to turtle the offense and go super conservative. If the reports are true, and I am not sure they are, bringing Rex back will be a very bad decision. We will be having the same conversations next year.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Is to completely separate him from offensive decisions, and put all offseason focus on rebuilding the offense. So you would need to:

1. Promote MM to Assistant Head Coach/OC and give him prescribed autonomy over the offense
    2. Don't involve Rex in the evaluation or selection of offensive talent and reduce his part in personnel decisions dramatically

I am still not sure it will work as at the first sign of offensive adversity will want to turtle the offense and go super conservative. If the reports are true, and I am not sure they are, bringing Rex back will be a very bad decision. We will be having the same conversations next year.
    Lol dude.. Take a xanex or 10 and cool off know this is rough news for you lol.. Your opinion of Rex has been "duly noted" like 100 times already lol.. None of your Rex hating points are going to happen so why even come up with such non sense? Lets all just wait few days till we find out what's going.. Lets all TRY to support Izdik, his decision, and Rex.. Let's not be cry baby trolls and root for Rex to do bad.. As a Rex supporter surely I would not root for new HC to fail if Rex was fired.. Let your immature hate go man.. Hope that your own opinion of Rex is proven wrong.. Which all it is , opinion..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Lol dude.. Take a xanex or 10 and cool off know this is rough news for you lol.. Your opinion of Rex has been "duly noted" like 100 times already lol.. None of your Rex hating points are going to happen so why even come up with such non sense? Lets all just wait few days till we find out what's going.. Lets all TRY to support Izdik, his decision, and Rex.. Let's not be cry baby trolls and root for Rex to do bad.. As a Rex supporter surely I would not root for new HC to fail if Rex was fired.. Let your immature hate go man.. Hope that your own opinion of Rex is proven wrong.. Which all it is , opinion..
    GFY

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    What did he say here that was so over the top offensive or immature. Your the one that's getting frazzled and irate with your 7 labeled Rex haters, maybe your the one who needs the Xanax.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Does he do that now?

Dude, we have the same conversations every year. Everyone throws temper tantrums this time of year to fire the coach, cut the QB, rape the cheerleader. Same schtick, different year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Does he do that now?

Dude, we have the same conversations every year. Everyone throws temper tantrums this time of year to fire the coach, cut the QB, rape the cheerleader. Same schtick, different year.
    I think he establishes characteristics on both sides of the ball that are used to stack players, so Rex will skew the positioning to OL, run blocking over pass blocking that type of thing which doesn't necessarily match MMs offense. Remember he publicly ridiculed the selection of a WR in the second very early on. Things like that have to effect drafting. He needs to be told that MM will set offensive priorities ( such as importance of getting playmakers, importance of a receiving RB), things like that that are not important to Rex's vision of offense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I think he establishes characteristics on both sides of the ball that are used to stack players, so Rex will skew the positioning to OL, run blocking over pass blocking that type of thing which doesn't necessarily match MMs offense. Remember he publicly ridiculed the selection of a WR in the second very early on. Things like that have to effect drafting. He needs to be told that MM will set offensive priorities ( such as importance of getting playmakers, importance of a receiving RB), things like that that are not important to Rex's vision of offense.
    The WR we took in the 2nd round a couple of years ago turned out to be a misfire. He has made plenty of mistakes, but he has done plenty of things right as well.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    The WR we took in the 2nd round a couple of years ago turned out to be a misfire. He has made plenty of mistakes, but he has done plenty of things right as well.
    He could not have known that at the time, and has always been negative with Hill. I just see way more big negatives with Rex than positives. I am shocked at the support he has. Shows how bad Herm and Mangini were that people want to desparately hold on to this guy. I hope the reports are wrong and Glazer was right

Rookie
    This thread scenario is a little overdone. You don't need a lot of rules to control Rex.

The only issue for Rex is: Idzik is the boss. If he can accept that, then he is good to go for next year. Anyone paying attention to the Jets knows they have to tilt hard to the offense this off season. Rex knows it better than anyone. Even if you think Rex crazily overemphasizes the D, he knows this. Think how much time his D spent on the field this year. Even the most die hard DC knows that the other team can't score when your O has the ball. Rex has always wanted a team that can run the ball. When he hired Marty--definitely a pass first OC--he even gave up on that. Hiring Marty was a giant step in Rex's maturation as a HC.

The bigger issue is Idzik. What does he want? The time to have fired Rex was last year. Now, there is further investment in Rex/Marty that you have to write off. Is that what you want to do?

There are coaches out there who can walk in without missing a beat (Gruden, Cowher, etc) but they will want substantial control. Don't think Idzik wants that or that Woody wants to pay for it.

Taking one of the Seattle assistants is high risk. It smacks of cronyism and risks a step backward--maybe even a big step backwards.

A lot depends on tomorrow. If the Jets get blown out again, then it's pretty easy to move on from Rex. But if the Jets pull off the upset--and Milliner, Smith and Winters will all have to play well for this to happen--then the argument to give Rex another year is a strong one.

Veteran
    No extension for Rex is only way to bring him back. He advances this team into playoffs then he gets an extension. If not, then he is gone.

All League
    We were on edge waiting for your opinion

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    We were on edge waiting for your opinion
    Lets bring Rex back and get rid of the rest of the team.

Veteran
    Also, what if Idzik wants Rex as his coach going forward?? I'm just going to watch it play out and it doesn't matter because we fans have zero control over the decisions.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    He could not have known that at the time, and has always been negative with Hill. I just see way more big negatives with Rex than positives. I am shocked at the support he has. Shows how bad Herm and Mangini were that people want to desparately hold on to this guy. I hope the reports are wrong and Glazer was right
    But he was right on Hill, no?

Your discontent for Rex is duly noted. I'm not saying he's Bill Walsh 2.0, just that he's not the reincarnation of Rich Kotite, which some try to portray him as.

Hall Of Fame
    I just hope that when/if Rex is retained, Idzik comes out and asserts that HE made the decision.

All League

Veteran
    Please stop making threads

This is getting ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Smoke signals

All League
    Dude... I know you really didn't want him back but you are coming off as a kid throwing a temper tantrum at this point. Idzik made a choice based off of his understanding of the situation which is definitely more educated than ours (knowledge of who made what decisions, how practices are run, long term philosophy). I have been neutral about Rex for about the second half of the season (I began the season pro-Rex). But Idzik made the call, just because it didn't match some people's desires doesn't mean he is an idiot. In fact all this tells me that maybe I might have viewed the coaching a little harshly if anything. But yea none of this is gonna happen. Rex will continue to have input and Idzik will make the final judgement call. That is the GM-coach relationship as it should be.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    Lets bring Rex back and get rid of the rest of the team.
    Let's bring Rex back, and Fireman Ed, and get rid of toolbag moron fans.

And LOL at this thread and the contingent of whiney SOJF's outraged that they were proven WRONG!!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    That was the old Fat Rex. He's matured and learned as a coach since those moments. Nobody wants to see that anymore.