View Poll Results: What week will Sanchez start his first game?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Week 1

31 20.95%
  • Week 2

1 0.68%
  • Week 3

2 1.35%
  • Week 4

2 1.35%
  • Week 5

0 0%
  • Week 6

0 0%
  • Week 7

0 0%
  • Mark is going to be cut

100 67.57%
  • It doesn't matter, SOJ

6 4.05%
  • Johnny Manziel is our future

6 4.05%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If Sanchez is back next year, how long before he beats out Geno?

I'm not convinced Sanchez is out. There may be a contract negotiation in the future but I do not believe Ryan or Idzik are just going to drop the guy in spite of what some, or many, fans want. He may stick around as a back up. I could also see him stay long enough to perform in preseason and then be traded away to another team that needs a QB but isn't in a position to put a rookie in the starter slot.

Veteran
    Sanchez's cap number is huge next year. And frankly, he's not going to restructure because there WILL be a market for him. Teams are desperate out there. Someone will take a chance that maybe, just maybe, a change of scenery is what he needs. At the very least he will find an opportunity that has an open competition. For these very reasons alone he will not restructure, therefore the Jets will cut him. Add in the fact the Jets very likely do not want him here as a distraction, and you have a 100% guarantee he is gone.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Most realistic option (IMO) was not offered:

Mark is released, resigned at a low-cost contract, and is the dedicated #2 to Geno Smith in 2014, and does not play unless Geno smith is either hurt, or busts so badly it may as well hurt.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    This thread is another indication that so many Jets fans just love to talk about the team sucking, or fantasize about it sucking.

It's pathetic.
    Only on JI. +1

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

Mark is released, resigned at a low-cost contract, and is the dedicated #2 to Geno Smith in 2014, and does not play unless Geno smith is either hurt, or busts so badly it may as well hurt.
    I disagree. When he hits the open market he will get plenty of interest. Guys like him get 2nd chances. Most of the time they don't work out, but NFL teams are desperate. JAX, HOU, CLE, OAK, MIN, maybe TB, TEN, and even StL might take a peak. These are all teams that are seriously going to consider drafting a QB, or at the very least bringing some competition in. Sanchez will have interest without a doubt if he hits the open market, and someone will pay him more than we will. Now restructuring him without a release is a possibility, however I think Sanchez's agent will push for his release unless we offer a very good contract.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I disagree. When he hits the open market he will get plenty of interest. Guys like him get 2nd chances. Most of the time they don't work out, but NFL teams are desperate. JAX, HOU, CLE, OAK, MIN, maybe TB, TEN, and even StL might take a peak. These are all teams that are seriously going to consider drafting a QB, or at the very least bringing some competition in. Sanchez will have interest without a doubt if he hits the open market, and someone will pay him more than we will. Now restructuring him without a release is a possibility, however I think Sanchez's agent will push for his release unless we offer a very good contract.
    Houston, Jacksonville and Cleveland will likely be drafting 1ST round QBs, so they might be extremely interested in acquiring Sanchez to have while their rookie develops. Sanchez will have no problem finding a landing spot. He'll make peanuts compared to what Tanny gave him, but he will find a home and might even be able to start if the rookie is not ready.

Veteran
    sanchez will start next year, he did win 4 playoff games on the road and brought us to back to back afc championship games.

All League
    If Sanchez was any good, he would not have thrown a pick 6 in the 1st exhibition game when he is battling for his job....

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    If they could, they would have. It's only a matter of time - he will not be here by the time the draft rolls around.
    maybe we can convince him to restructure & make him part of a trade w clev. for their pick ,then we can pick J-ohn-NY-Football with our 1st pick & bring in a vet back up & let them compete for the starting job.job.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    he'll get another chance, but teams will view him as a backup qb. his qb ratings were always among the bottom in the league. he hasn't earned the right to start for another team. he's earned the right to compete for a roster spot for another team.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    OP is a troll, as evidenced by the fact that his poll includes no "Geno will start every game next year" poll selection.
    Im still trying to figure out why a poll that starts "if sanchez is back next year" would include a "sanchez will be cut" option.

All League
    I found a pic of the OP:

130104092350_rex-ryan-tattoo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

This is not realistic. If Mark is released, there's no way he'd come back. Someone else will sign him and he'd probably want a fresh start and out of this circus.

And for all the people saying this is a troll thread, Geno was the worst starting QB this past year. I'm not going out on a limb here saying Mark can beat him out. Rex knows he will be on the hot seat. He knows he needs to win now. He will start Sanchez sooner than later next year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    It's silly. If the goal is to win games, you keep your best players. There are a slew of other useless bums on the team that they should get rid of.
    The goal is to build the best possible team. If you are going to spend an extra $14M for a player who is only nominally better, and have to pay more for the next 3 seasons, that will cost you at other positions. It's not a zero sum game between 2 players.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    The goal is to build the best possible team. If you are going to spend an extra $14M for a player who is only nominally better, and have to pay more for the next 3 seasons, that will cost you at other positions. It's not a zero sum game between 2 players.
    I don't think Sanchez is just "nominally" better.

I would rank Geno 32nd out of all starting QBs based on last year's performance. Mark is at least somewhere in the early 20's. That's at least close to 30% better.

All League
    This is not realistic. If Mark is released, there's no way he'd come back. Someone else will sign him and he'd probably want a fresh start and out of this circus.

And for all the people saying this is a troll thread, Geno was the worst starting QB this past year. I'm not going out on a limb here saying Mark can beat him out. Rex knows he will be on the hot seat. He knows he needs to win now. He will start Sanchez sooner than later next year.
    Referring to the Jets now as a circus has exposed you as a troll and a fraud. Mods, first ban of the offseason. please.

All Pro
    I don't think Sanchez is just "nominally" better.

I would rank Geno 32nd out of all starting QBs based on last year's performance. Mark is at least somewhere in the early 20's. That's at least close to 30% better.
    THere's no reason to believe Sanchez would be somewhere in the early 20s

2012: 31st of 32 QBs
    2011: 23rd of 34 QBs
    2010: 27th of 31 QBs
    2009 28th of 32 QBs (Lower rating than Geno Smith)

Also, Geno Smith scored more TDs (17 Total TDs Vs. 13 Total TDs) and turned the ball over less (25 Turnovers Vs. 26 Turnovers). They had almost indentical passing yards (Smith 191 YPG, Sanchez 192 YPG), but Smith also rushed for 366 yards.

There is nothing Sanchez did in 2012 that made you believe he would be better than Geno Smith in 2013. I think Sanchez deserves a fresh start and can be a okay QB, but you make the leap that Sanchez would somehow become better than he was in any of his first 4 seasons, despite having the same limited weapons

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Referring to the Jets now as a circus has exposed you as a troll and a fraud. Mods, first ban of the offseason. please.
    Are you gonna cry and take the ball home too?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    sanchez will start next year, he did win 4 playoff games on the road and brought us to back to back afc championship games.
    Don't you need to go troll the Giants board?

All Pro
    I'm not entirely sold on this idea. Why cut your best QB?
    Because he wouldnt make the cut on 30 other teams.