Right now, probably is.

All League
    Imagine if he signed with the Mets?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Imagine if he signed with the Mets?
    He'd have a season ending blown shoulder by now.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Best pitcher in baseball????
    A 26 year old 2 time Cy Young winner by the name of Kershaw is the only answer to that question. It's him and everyone else.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    A 26 year old 2 time Cy Young winner by the name of Kershaw is the only answer to that question. It's him and everyone else.
    Tanaka Age 25 99.1 IP 79 H 16 BB 113 K 11 W 1 L 1.99 ERA 0.95 WHIP .216 BAA (In the AL)
    Kershaw Age 26 55.1 IP 51 H 8 BB 71 K 6 W 2 L 2.93 ERA 1.07 WHIP .239 BAA (In the NL)

Conversation worth having. Tanaka is worthy of comparison, not lumped in with "everyone else".

Veteran
    Yanks 3 games over .500, Tanaka 10 games over .500

All League
    Tanaka Age 25 99.1 IP 79 H 16 BB 113 K 11 W 1 L 1.99 ERA 0.95 WHIP .216 BAA (In the AL)
    Kershaw Age 26 55.1 IP 51 H 8 BB 71 K 6 W 2 L 2.93 ERA 1.07 WHIP .239 BAA (In the NL)

Conversation worth having. Tanaka is worthy of comparison, not lumped in with "everyone else".
    Not really. Tanaka is good, but the only people that would say Tanaka is in the same conversation as Kershaw is Yankee fans. Prior to last night's start, Tanaka had faced exactly 1 team twice, and that team was the Chicago Cubs. He did face the Jays for the second time last night, and did well, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say he's on par with the undisputed best in the game. He's having a nice start to a career, but he isn't doing anything that Hideo Nomo didn't do as a rookie. Kershaw still dominates and is in his 7th major league season.

Edit: I do want to make my position clear that I think Tanaka is VERY good, and he potentially COULD be THE best in baseball, but at this point in his career, it's premature to put him in the same category as guys that have proved it over and over again, while still proving it.
    Last edited by HawkeyeJet; 06-18-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Not really. Tanaka is good, but the only people that would say Tanaka is in the same conversation as Kershaw is Yankee fans. Prior to last night's start, Tanaka had faced exactly 1 team twice, and that team was the Chicago Cubs. He did face the Jays for the second time last night, and did well, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say he's on par with the undisputed best in the game. He's having a nice start to a career, but he isn't doing anything that Hideo Nomo didn't do as a rookie. Kershaw still dominates and is in his 7th major league season.

Edit: I do want to make my position clear that I think Tanaka is VERY good, and he potentially COULD be THE best in baseball, but at this point in his career, it's premature to put him in the same category as guys that have proved it over and over again, while still proving it.
    That's fine, experience counts. But this is what I mean: conversation to be had. As far as this season is concerned, Tanaka has been better. Given that he had sustained success in Japan before this, and there's no reason to believe given his command of several quality pitches, there's also no reason to believe this is a fad. Guys like Nomo got by on quirky windups etc. Tanaka is just pitching.

Nomo pitched better in MLB his first few seasons than he ever did in Japan. Believe it or not, Tanaka is still not pitching as well as he did his last 3 seasons in Japan.

All League
    That's fine, experience counts. But this is what I mean: conversation to be had. As far as this season is concerned, Tanaka has been better. Given that he had sustained success in Japan before this, and there's no reason to believe given his command of several quality pitches, there's also no reason to believe this is a fad. Guys like Nomo got by on quirky windups etc. Tanaka is just pitching.
    Fair enough

All League
    Well that was an impeccably timed no hitter from Mr. Kershaw!

No Hits 15 Ks. 1 base runner on a bad Hanley error.

Not. too. Shabby.
    Last edited by HawkeyeJet; 06-19-2014 at 01:13 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Well that was an impeccably timed no hitter from Mr. Kershaw!

No Hits 15 Ks. 1 base runner on a bad Hanley error.

Not. too. Shabby.
    He must have read this thread

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This year more than ever highlights for me one thing: Cashman has got to go.

I mean if he didn't have close to unlimited financial resources to go and sign a guy like Tanaka, where would they be?

The scouting and development are atrocious. There's no one to use a bargaining chips. When was the last good trade he's made? Or middle tier signing? Brian Roberts, Kelly Johnson etc... this guys are useless. Can't hit or defend. No value whatsoever.

Anyway, Tanaka is amazing. Keeps this up he'll be not only in the Cy Young discussion, but the MVP one as well.
    I agree. Cashman has no vision anymore. He caught lightning in a bottle a couple times with re-treads and thinks he can continue to bail the team out that way. Time to just be competitive for a few years instead of trying to be all-universe and straighten this out. Stop with the big contracts for older players.