Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masahiro Tanaka

Masahiro Tanaka

First 4 starts. 3-0, 2.15 ERA/0.88 WHIP with 35 Ks and only 2 walks in 29.1 IP.

What can you say other than he's been phenomenal.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden 2.0; 04-22-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    He has been awesome. Nice win tonight. Anytime you can knock around Lester is nice.

All Pro
    Has extraordinary command of five or six different pitches. All of his mistakes seem to be down, not up. Looks very relaxed and confident. Hasn't lost a game since 2012. This guy looks like he may live up to the hype and contract.

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Has extraordinary command of five or six different pitches. All of his mistakes seem to be down, not up. Looks very relaxed and confident. Hasn't lost a game since 2012. This guy looks like he may live up to the hype and contract.
    27-0 his last 27 starts? Wow this guy is sick. Where are all the people who were saying the Yankees were doomed after last season?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    From what I've seen, the opposite is true. Like just about every other pitcher in baseball, when he gets the ball up, he is hittable. Fortunately, he usually keeps it down. The guy has good command of a lot of quality pitches, and that splitter is absolutely filthy.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    From what I've seen, the opposite is true. Like just about every other pitcher in baseball, when he gets the ball up, he is hittable. Fortunately, he usually keeps it down. The guy has good command of a lot of quality pitches, and that splitter is absolutely filthy.
    I agree. Both jacks the Sox hit last night looked like hangers.

Pitching in Yankee Stadium he is going to give up some home runs but as long as they are solo shots he will be fine. Guys like Hughes were plagued by the 3 run homer.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. Both jacks the Sox hit last night looked like hangers.

Pitching in Yankee Stadium he is going to give up some home runs but as long as they are solo shots he will be fine. Guys like Hughes were plagued by the 3 run homer.
    Hughes' name should never even be mentioned in Yankee land again, especially in a thread about Tanaka. The difference between these guys is that Hughes did not have a single go-to put-away pitch, while Tanaka has like 17 of them.

All League
    seems like he makes 2-3 mistakes a game and gives up the long ball. other than that he has been dominant.

Hughes' name should never even be mentioned in Yankee land again, especially in a thread about Tanaka. The difference between these guys is that Hughes did not have a single go-to put-away pitch, while Tanaka has like 17 of them.
    That was/is Hughes main problem. He never had problems throwing strikes or gettig ahead in the count, it just took him forever to finish a guy off or put him away, thus his pitch count suffered.

All Pro
    only given up 2 walks...guys who throw strikes always give up homers...Catfish had the best control and always gave up 20+ homers a year...

Undrafted Free Agent
    This guy is somethin'.

Undrafted Free Agent
    This guy will become something big.

Masahiro Tanaka. My man!

9-1 W-L, 2.02 ERA, 0.96 WHIP

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden 2.0 View Post
    9-1 W-L, 2.02 ERA, 0.96 WHIP
    This year more than ever highlights for me one thing: Cashman has got to go.

I mean if he didn't have close to unlimited financial resources to go and sign a guy like Tanaka, where would they be?

The scouting and development are atrocious. There's no one to use a bargaining chips. When was the last good trade he's made? Or middle tier signing? Brian Roberts, Kelly Johnson etc... this guys are useless. Can't hit or defend. No value whatsoever.

Anyway, Tanaka is amazing. Keeps this up he'll be not only in the Cy Young discussion, but the MVP one as well.

I mean if he didn't have close to unlimited financial resources to go and sign a guy like Tanaka, where would they be?

The scouting and development are atrocious. There's no one to use a bargaining chips. When was the last good trade he's made? Or middle tier signing? Brian Roberts, Kelly Johnson etc... this guys are useless. Can't hit or defend. No value whatsoever.

Anyway, Tanaka is amazing. Keeps this up he'll be not only in the Cy Young discussion, but the MVP one as well.
    During the offseason the Yankees brought back everyone in the scouting and development department, that was the final nail for me. I'm ready to make a change. I'm not so sure Hal Steinbrenner is though.

Practice Squad

And rookie of the year. The trifecta

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Are we due for another championship, I lost count?

Jose Abreu is stiff competition for ROY

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden 2.0 View Post
    During the offseason the Yankees brought back everyone in the scouting and development department, that was the final nail for me. I'm ready to make a change. I'm not so sure Hal Steinbrenner is though.
    I agree. Cashman and co need to go. Outside of Tanaka (which was a pretty obvious move) and McCann (not hitting yet but still the right move) all of Cashman's moves last off-season sucked. Ellsbury in the 3 hole kills us and Beltran should always be a DH unless it's interleague.

Tanaka and the kids (Solarte and Betances) have saved the season so far otherwise we'd be dead last in the AL East.

Veteran
    Complete game 11 K's 10-1 2.02 ERA...guy has been better than advertised.