Thread: Analyzing Round One of the Draft From a Fantasy Football Perspective

Analyzing Round One of the Draft From a Fantasy Football Perspective

The NFL Draft is underway and with round one over it's time to look at the draft from a Dynasty Fantasy Football perspective. Round one featured a number of offensive skill position players that will have a fantasy football impact for years to come. Here are the round one honors:

Best Draft:

Cleveland is the winner on round one of the draft. First they pull off a fantastic trade with Buffalo moving back to the 9th spot to grab a Corner to pair up with Joe Haden. It makes sense for them because Pettine's system, like Rex Ryan's, depends on man up corners. Cleveland picked up an extra 1st rounder in 2015 as compensation. Winning! Later in the round they used the pick they got when they fleeced the Colts in the Trent Richardson trade last season and grabbed Manziel their QB of the future. With Manziel, Tate, Cameron and Gordon Cleveland has a core of talented young players on Offense. The Geek believes they should target a Wide Receiver and O-Lineman on day two to solidify that Offense.

Wide Receiver Dynasty Rankings

Going in to day one of the draft we knew that Wide Receiver was perceived as the strongest and deepest position. By the time round one was over just four of them were selected. Each of these players will have a fantasy football impact over the next few seasons. Here are my rapid reaction rankings for dynasty purposes:

1) Mike Evans - Bucs - Evans should be the first player off the board in Dynasty Rookie Drafts this season. He has a great combination of size and speed. The pedigree of having been a top 10 pick. He will play second fiddle to an aging superstar veteran in Vincent Jackson. This move reeks of Alshon Jeffrey/Brandon Marshall. As a bonus Josh McCown is the QB in Tampa now and Alshon had his best games with McCown. Evans steps in on day one as a starter and #2 WR in Tampa.

2) Kelvin Benjamin - Panthers - Going in to the draft I figured whomever Carolina takes at WR in the 1st will be in the best long term situation. They have no legitimate Elite Wide Receivers so their draft pick will become their #1 WR by default. Benjamin is a big man that will go up and grab some footballs. He lacks speed and polish. I did not like this pick at all for Carolina. Still Benjamin will be in a great situation with little to no competition in Carolina.

3) Sammy Watkins - Buffalo - Watkins was the consensus #1 WR going in to the draft and Buffalo liked him enough to give up their 2015 first rounder to move up. Watkins should step in as a starter on day one for Buffalo. They still have Stevie Johnson and promising young WR Robert Woods. Johnson has been oft injuerd the past few seasons however and Buffalo is likely looking at parting ways with him. The only reason Watkins isn't the top choice is E.J Manuel. Manuel flashed some skills in 2013 but questions still remain. Watkins is a talent but in the NFL a teams QB situation is an important factor in the fantasy relevance of WR's and I'm not sold on Manuel just yet.

4) Brandin Cooks - New Orleans - Cooks is a speedy WR going to a high powered offense. New Orleans WR situation is in flux at the moment. Colston is an older player that appears to have lost a step or two. Stills has been a trendy pick by many so called Fantasy Football Pundits. Mathew Berry has been shouting his name from the hilltops for months. Cooks will likely see snaps out of the slot and replace some of the production lost with the departure of Lance Moore and Sproles. Cooks is a good player on a good team with plenty of opportunity.

5) Odell Beckham Jr - Giants - ODB is a talented player that now finds himself in a crowded WR corps with the Giants. They already have Cruz and a promising young player in Ruben Randle. With limited opportunity and veteran competition Beckham rounds out the bottom of the Dynasty Rankings for the WR's in the first round.

Worst Pick of Round 1:

There were a few questionable picks in round one. The Arizona Cardinals took a Safety Deone Bucannon late in the 1st when they continue to have a glaring hole at QB. I was sure they would target Carr there. But that wasn't the worst pick.

New England Patriots - DE Dominique Easley - I'm not going to pretend that I've scouted Easley. The Geek cares not for Defensive players. The issue here however is obvious. Easley is coming off TWO ACL surgeries. There were so many possibilities with that pick. Taking a high injury risk player in the first round?

http://www.dailyfantasyadvice.net/20...-football.html

Agree with pretty much everything you said. I thought Benjamin would be too slow for the NFL but by default he's the #1 target for Newton with not much after so how could he not be a productive fantasy player?

Top Rookie Fantasy Players by position:

QB: Manziel (I have Tom Savage in Houston as a deep sleeper)

RB: Bishop Sankey

WR: 1. Watkins 2. Evans 3. Benjamin 4. Marquise Lee

TE: Amaro (no homer, I think he starts from day 1 as a full-time TE. Vick has always liked to use the Tight End going back to his ATL days)

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Agree with pretty much everything you said. I thought Benjamin would be too slow for the NFL but by default he's the #1 target for Newton with not much after so how could he not be a productive fantasy player?

Top Rookie Fantasy Players by position:

QB: Manziel (I have Tom Savage in Houston as a deep sleeper)

RB: Bishop Sankey

WR: 1. Watkins 2. Evans 3. Benjamin 4. Marquise Lee

TE: Amaro (no homer, I think he starts from day 1 as a full-time TE. Vick has always liked to use the Tight End going back to his ATL days)
    I agree on Amaro. I wouldn't draft him as a TE 1 this season but he could make for a nice bench player with some flex appeal in deeper leagues. Interesting assumption that Vick will get the nod BTW. I think so as well but we are in the minority I think based on most of the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I agree on Amaro. I wouldn't draft him as a TE 1 this season but he could make for a nice bench player with some flex appeal in deeper leagues. Interesting assumption that Vick will get the nod BTW. I think so as well but we are in the minority I think based on most of the comments.
    I'm not drafting Amaro but I think he's a good bye week/injury sub pickup on the waiver wire. He's going to get alot of matchups against not good safeties this season just look at our own division with Buffalo and New England.

Vick loves to check down to the TE. Geno would have done it alot too last year too but Cumby sucks and K2 was suspended for a big chunk of the season.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 05-21-2014 at 11:55 PM.