Thread: USA Final World Cup Roster

Practice Squad

USA Final World Cup Roster

ROSTER

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Aron Johannsson and Chris Wondolowski

MIDFIELDERS: Kyle Beckerman, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Brad Davis, Mix Diskerud, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi and Julian Green.

DEFENDERS: DaMarcus Beasley, Matt Besler, John Brooks, Geoff Cameron, Timmy Chandler, Omar Gonzalez, Fabian Johnson and DeAndre Yedlin

GOALKEEPERS: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan and Nick Rimando
    __________________________________________________ _________________

Just some thoughts..

Surprised by the Landon Donovan omission. I know he took time off and I don't think that sat well with Klinsmann but I figured he earned his spot back with how well he played during the qualifier against Mexico(trash) and the Gold Cup which we ended up winning. He hasn't played well so far during the MLS season and apparently wasn't playing too well during the 30 man training camp so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it as a players form heading into the World Cup shouldn't be overlooked.

I think what ultimately did him in was how well the U.S. played during qualifiers in 2013 without him and his current form.

It's a bit ridiculous though, Klinsmann has stated numerous times that no ones spot is secure and that the players had to earn it, yet multiple players who have almost no International experience and haven't been playing well if at all for their club made it over Donovan. Green has played 1 ****in game for the U.S. in which he showed basically nothing and Yedlin hasn't played well for Seattle and is occasionally reckless in his play which is dangerous for a World Cup. Greens roster spot feels like a reward for choosing the U.S. over Germany.

And you cannot tell me Donovan even with his recent poor play is worse than Beckerman and Brad Davis, both of whom have been given numerous opportunities on the International level and have proven they are not good enough for this level of play. I like Beckerman too after I saw his story I think it was on the first Inside the US's Road to Brazil, but the guy isn't good enough for a World Cup and I hope he doesn't see the field.

All League
    I'm not really sure of American "soccer" talent but you are in a very very tough group.....you're like us (Australia) in a way, an ageing group of players that has to be renewed (we have no chance of getting through our group and no chance of ever winning the tournament, at least not in my lifetime). I think you have to weigh up what chance you have of winning the World Cup this time around with the stock of players you have versus building something for a future tilt at glory 8 years or so down the track.

You also have to remember Klinsmann's record before the 06 Cup with his home country - he proved to have his selections and tactics spot on, and Germany really were the form team of the entire tournament. I suspect he has some meister plan in mind and perhaps criticising him right now is a tad premature. If the World Cup is an abject failure for the USA it might be time to bring out the long knives, but right now you have to give a manager of his pedigree the benefit of any doubt.

All Pro
    I was in Ayers Rock, Australia when I heard about Donovan and I'm still stunned. Perhaps years later we can know the whole story, but the idea that he wasn't one of the best 23 is simply a ludicrous concept.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I was in Ayers Rock, Australia when I heard about Donovan and I'm still stunned. Perhaps years later we can know the whole story, but the idea that he wasn't one of the best 23 is simply a ludicrous concept.
    ha ha, have a mate who was there over the weekend as well. No internet he says and I would suspect a ton of flies.

All Pro
    Pretty shocked Donovan didn't make the cut, as well. Not that I'm overly upset about it. He clearly is in poor form and I don't think he'd be more than a sub. It's a bit disheartening to see someone like Brad Davis make it over him, but I trust Klinnsman. In terms of young guys like Green, Brooks, and Johannson making it, I personally believe Klinnsman guaranteed them spots to entice them to choose the US.

Anyone else going to the Turkey friendly this Sunday? I'll be there +10. Should be a pretty cool atmosphere.

Waterboy
    I am heading in with my 8 year old and his two teenaged cousins. Mildy annoyed we couldn't get our regular season seats (US Soccer bought the whole South Ward and 2-3 sections on either side), but looking forward to seeing what kind of show they put on.

All League
    http://i.imgur.com/nDTRASi.jpg?1

There seems to be more to the story on Donovan (fatboy).

Hard to say what Klinnsies son's beef with Landon is but to take a shot at him on twitter after the cut is bad form. I really don't care that he cut Donovan but this other garbage needs to get put back in the box. If it can be.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Pretty shocked Donovan didn't make the cut, as well. Not that I'm overly upset about it. He clearly is in poor form and I don't think he'd be more than a sub. It's a bit disheartening to see someone like Brad Davis make it over him, but I trust Klinnsman. In terms of young guys like Green, Brooks, and Johannson making it, I personally believe Klinnsman guaranteed them spots to entice them to choose the US.

Anyone else going to the Turkey friendly this Sunday? I'll be there +10. Should be a pretty cool atmosphere.
    I'm going with about a dozen people. I'm a little annoyed that you can't tailgate before the game at Red Bull Arena, otherwise, should be a good time. I went to Philly for the US/Turkey match 4 years ago.

All League
    I'm going with about a dozen people. I'm a little annoyed that you can't tailgate before the game at Red Bull Arena, otherwise, should be a good time. I went to Philly for the US/Turkey match 4 years ago.
    Bring a box of tiles for the complete experience.

All Pro
    Has that been announced that there's no tailgating? I was planning on going to Bello's anyway, but I was curious about the tailgating situation.

It's not a stadium conducive to tailgating, but I was considering it.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 05-27-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Bring a box of tiles for the complete experience.
    LMAO

Veteran
    LOL

the national team experience doesn't get near the club team experience it's a watered down demo at best

BTW I hope you guys destroy those phuckers, because of the said club team internal politics.
    Last edited by The Turk; 05-29-2014 at 03:22 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Has that been announced that there's no tailgating? I was planning on going to Bello's anyway, but I was curious about the tailgating situation.

It's not a stadium conducive to tailgating, but I was considering it.
    I saw some people tailgating, and wished we did it. However, we took a bus from Legends Bar, it was a good time. Interesting game, US looked pretty good in attack, and were pretty exposed on defense. It's unfathomable that Julian Green is on the team for anything other than a promise of going to the World Cup, he's totally out of his depth. However, I was impressed with Yedlin and Brooks. Also, Bradley was great, the pass on the first goal was a thing of beauty. Altidore didn't score, but otherwise looked great, he was absolutely abused and the refs just refused to give him a break.

All Pro
    I saw some people tailgating, and wished we did it. However, we took a bus from Legends Bar, it was a good time. Interesting game, US looked pretty good in attack, and were pretty exposed on defense. It's unfathomable that Julian Green is on the team for anything other than a promise of going to the World Cup, he's totally out of his depth. However, I was impressed with Yedlin and Brooks. Also, Bradley was great, the pass on the first goal was a thing of beauty. Altidore didn't score, but otherwise looked great, he was absolutely abused and the refs just refused to give him a break.
    We ended up going to Cata's, which was a great time. Although, it was impossible to get a drink by 11:30-12. Agreed on all points. I thought the US looked good, especially in the 1st half. Altidore was very encouraging and yes, the refs were atrocious. I thought it was a good atmosphere in the stadium and was surprised about how overwhelmingly a pro-USA crowd it was. There was virtually zero Turkish presence.

On the negative side, this was my 3rd time standing in the American Outlaws sections and will likely be my last. There is so little coordination, originality, or creativity with the support. The chants get so repetitive and just get annoying and take away from the experience for me. I much prefer a Red Bulls match, if I'm going to stand in a supporters section.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 06-02-2014 at 03:56 PM.

All Pro
    Very solid performce in their last friendly before the world cup. So happy that Altidore got 2 goals. One tap in, and then a true rocket. Bradley was a machine and despite the end the defense was fairly solid. The group may be too much to overcome but if they get those 3 points from Ghana, then who knows.

All Pro
    Very solid performce in their last friendly before the world cup. So happy that Altidore got 2 goals. One tap in, and then a true rocket. Bradley was a machine and despite the end the defense was fairly solid. The group may be too much to overcome but if they get those 3 points from Ghana, then who knows.
    Definitely their best performance out of the 3 friendlies. I would like to see that same lineup out there against Ghana, as well.

All Pro
    Hey,

Let me know what you think of this. It's not perfect by any stretch, but something I put together using Tableau. Allows you to look at any team going back to 1930, see what country/club they played for

http://public.tableausoftware.com/vi...splay_count=no