Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why won't the Mets spend money on players?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrebet_The_Man View Post
    why aren't the Wilpons spending money right now, though?
    because they are debt-ridden over-leveraged douchebags who believed taking on a new loan to secure bonuses for themselves qualified as business planning when they started SNY. Now they have the most debt of any team in professional sports. And they've stayed the course by refinancing the a $250 million dollar loan this winter that would have been due this month. they never reduce the principle. They just keep shifting the debt around. What does that get you? A team that is worth $2 billion dollars, but only has a net value of $800 million. The Wilpons suck and the Mets will suck so long as they own the team.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    No, the Wilpons are jerking everyone off. They got $80 million from the taxpayers to build arguably the most beautiful stadium in baseball after Wrigley and its been almost 6 years since Madoff plus they have money from the national tv contracts, SNY, revenue sharing and they've been slumming it with the payroll the last 4 years. Terry Collins is garbage the Mets biggest young arm was really acquired by Omar Minaya (Harvey).

Collins is an idiot and the Wilpons don't care they have the Kansas City Royals model of sports business - plead poor and pocket the profits.
    Get a clue buddy.The Royals are in 1st place and have some of the best young talent in baseball. Better to appear to be an idiot than to post something like this and remove all doubt.

Hall Of Fame
    They will not raise the payroll until they start winning and filling the stadium again. Unfortunately they will not fill the stadium and win until they get some decent players.

I feel for the Mets fans. Bud being buddies with the Wilpons is what is holding you guys back. He forced McCourt out in LA but bent over to help the Wilpons. Shame.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    I can't help thinking that we and MLB are feeding a Madoff-like scam. I will be at Citi for a family honorarium 7/11. Wish I could bring the Sign Man.
    Interesting how when Frank Mccourt got in financial trouble Selig more or less forced him to sell the Dodgers, but with the Wilpon's he gives them loans. I wonder if Selig was in bed with the Wilpon's in the Madoff mess and they are covering for him?
    Last edited by petejet; 06-19-2014 at 10:07 AM.

All Pro
    The issue is not just how much they spend, but how they spend when they decide to. Just look at this past offseason. We gave out $87 million in free agent contracts to Curtis Granderson, Chris Young and Bartolo Colon. Grandy and Young are terrible fits for Citi Field. Flyball hitters who hit for low average with some power. Both are rally killers in the middle of the lineup. While Colon has pitched well in June - he is still a 41 year old, overweight pitcher coming off of a steroid suspension.

And, when is the last time our coaching staff has developed a young position player into a solid major league hitter.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    The issue is not just how much they spend, but how they spend when they decide to. Just look at this past offseason. We gave out $87 million in free agent contracts to Curtis Granderson, Chris Young and Bartolo Colon. Grandy and Young are terrible fits for Citi Field. Flyball hitters who hit for low average with some power. Both are rally killers in the middle of the lineup. While Colon has pitched well in June - he is still a 41 year old, overweight pitcher coming off of a steroid suspension.

And, when is the last time our coaching staff has developed a young position player into a solid major league hitter.
    I guess you could call Murphy a "solid" yet unspectacular position player they developed.

The good news is, that some of the kids in the minors are starting to rake and advance-Nimmo, Plawecki, the 2nd baseman they got in the Pirates deal, and Smith are all starting to come on.

That said, they still need to go outside the org to get some help

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    I guess you could call Murphy a "solid" yet unspectacular position player they developed.

The good news is, that some of the kids in the minors are starting to rake and advance-Nimmo, Plawecki, the 2nd baseman they got in the Pirates deal, and Smith are all starting to come on.

That said, they still need to go outside the org to get some help
    I agree - Murphy is a solid player, but he came up 6 years ago in 2008. Nobody in the last 6 years that is a solid position player. Its hard to build a solid lineup when you have no help from within the organization. Hopefully some of the kids will begin to make a difference, but given the recent track record, I am not overly optimistic.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Get a clue buddy.The Royals are in 1st place and have some of the best young talent in baseball. Better to appear to be an idiot than to post something like this and remove all doubt.
    The Royals have been dreadful for most of the last 25 years. Eventually any team can draft well enough to put together a good team. The Royals have been pocketing huge revenue sharing money for a long time with minimal investment in the major league club.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post

It's still early on him but I'd say Lagares has looked solid. And he's also an elite level defender in CF.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    It's still early on him but I'd say Lagares has looked solid. And he's also an elite level defender in CF.
    I agree. I like Lagares and I would like to see him in the lineup most every night from here on out. I would love to see what he can do playing every day. He has potential to be a solid hitter and he already is a great defender. I also hold out some hope for Duda - solid season so far - on pace for 25+ HRs and about 90 RBIs and he has been hitting .290 in the month of June. But he still need so learn to hit lefties to be a solid everyday player.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    The Royals have been dreadful for most of the last 25 years. Eventually any team can draft well enough to put together a good team. The Royals have been pocketing huge revenue sharing money for a long time with minimal investment in the major league club.
    Agreed. The Royals pick in the top 5 of the MLB draft every year eventually they were going to field a decent team. Their owner was on the Board of Directors for Wal-Mart I'm sure he's hurting for money

That's why I love these fans who hate on the Steinbrenners for spending money. Have they seen the corporate welfare these other billionaire owners are getting?

All League
    The attendance has fallen like a rock the past few years. In 2008, the last year at Shea, 4+ million. In 2013, it was 2.1 million. Couple that with the Madoff hit, that's a big kick in the butt.
    I also wonder if Citifields vs Shea is a net gain or loss. The Mets had a sweetheart deal at Shea, now they have to pay the bills themselves at Citifield. I bet its costing them more money. Plus, I think they are hoarding money to develop the land around Citifield.

That's my thought on my no money for the team.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Shouldn't SNY erase all that? Wilpons have always been stingy from the beginning. Nothing will ever change that.

All League
    They could have fixed up Shea for half the money it cost to build CitiField.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Shouldn't SNY erase all that? Wilpons have always been stingy from the beginning. Nothing will ever change that.
    I believe they still owe debt on SNY.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Heynowguy View Post
    The attendance has fallen like a rock the past few years. In 2008, the last year at Shea, 4+ million. In 2013, it was 2.1 million. Couple that with the Madoff hit, that's a big kick in the butt.
    I also wonder if Citifields vs Shea is a net gain or loss. The Mets had a sweetheart deal at Shea, now they have to pay the bills themselves at Citifield. I bet its costing them more money. Plus, I think they are hoarding money to develop the land around Citifield.

That's my thought on my no money for the team.
    Attendance is a pocket change compared to the TV money. The Wilpons are taking in massive amounts of money from TV and they're keeping all of it. They could sell zero tickets and still turn a profit.