Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2014 Pool

All Pro

World Cup 2014 Pool

Hi all,

Join the Jets Insider World Cup Pool
    http://games.espn.go.com/world-cup-b...?groupID=49949

Fun for all!!! Sadly, without the Global drafts, this group has been dying a slow death, hopefully this will revive it, for the World Cup, at least.

Also, I'm taking all commentary on a World Cup Dashboard I built in Tableau. Obviously, it can always be improve, but it was set up to show players who have played in the world cup by year and the club team they played for.
    Let me know your thoughts. I'm always looking to improve or incorporate ideas.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/pr...ldCupDashboard

Hall Of Fame
    I signed in.

I had just started a pick em pool on yahoo. Not to steal your thunder but that way we can have 2 Leagues: a game by game pick em, and an overall bracket where we'd have to log everything in from the get go

Anyways, for those interested

http://y.ahoo.it/DOLVyuy6

League: JI
    Password: football

All Pro
    Joined Batman's group, will join Raoul's as well. Having issues with Yahoo right now for some reason. I like the idea of having pick'em, but I don't care either way.

Batman - I'm going to check out your dashboard right now.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Joined Batman's group, will join Raoul's as well. Having issues with Yahoo right now for some reason. I like the idea of having pick'em, but I don't care either way.

Batman - I'm going to check out your dashboard right now.
    oined both as well. I'm going try and keep adding things to the dashboard between now and the next few weeks

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

Also, I'm taking all commentary on a World Cup Dashboard I built in Tableau. Obviously, it can always be improve, but it was set up to show players who have played in the world cup by year and the club team they played for.
    Let me know your thoughts. I'm always looking to improve or incorporate ideas.
    http://public.tableausoftware.com/pr...ldCupDashboard
    Pretty interesting to see age and experience. SPain, Germany and Mexico are ones who stood out for me in terms of experience with a lot of guys with at least 2 or 3 WC's. Buffon's on his 5th which is pretty amazing.

Not sure where you can take this thing afterwards. Are you going to add info as the WC goes?
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 06-11-2014 at 04:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Hall Of Fame
    Not to kiss any asses, but if I were a betting man, I'd pick the US to get through their group. The odds would make for a good bet. Even though I haven't seen any games, it always seems in WC's (or Gold Cup) the US always play better than they are and tough to beat. Plus, the heat in Manaus could even out the field.

Not sure if I'll pick them in the bracket though.

Hall Of Fame
    Picture of Manaus field 3 days before first game

USA/Portugal match will be the 3rd game on that field and will be played in a sauna. Definitely good news for you guys.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Pretty interesting to see age and experience. SPain, Germany and Mexico are ones who stood out for me in terms of experience with a lot of guys with at least 2 or 3 WC's. Buffon's on his 5th which is pretty amazing.

Not sure where you can take this thing afterwards. Are you going to add info as the WC goes?
    I'm not sure yet. One thing I have is previous world cup data, so I want to include that. It's pretty hard to incorporate some historical information, but I want to put together "Oldest team to make finals" and so forth.

One of the most random things I've found so far, is that the US Player DeMarcus Beasely is only the 2nd player to make 4 world cups, and play in a different country during each time through (US, Mexico, Scotland, Holland). Mostly it's for silly fun. My current job is in data analytics and visualizations and I wanted to use this to show that you can do different things with data.

I saw Ghana destroy South Korea last night, and I'm not convinced they will lose. The US group is one of those groups where there's one great team and 3 teams who could legitimately make it out the group. I don't see US as making it out, but it'll be fun to watch.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not sure yet. One thing I have is previous world cup data, so I want to include that. It's pretty hard to incorporate some historical information, but I want to put together "Oldest team to make finals" and so forth.

One of the most random things I've found so far, is that the US Player DeMarcus Beasely is only the 2nd player to make 4 world cups, and play in a different country during each time through (US, Mexico, Scotland, Holland). Mostly it's for silly fun. My current job is in data analytics and visualizations and I wanted to use this to show that you can do different things with data.

I saw Ghana destroy South Korea last night, and I'm not convinced they will lose. The US group is one of those groups where there's one great team and 3 teams who could legitimately make it out the group. I don't see US as making it out, but it'll be fun to watch.

Post when there's new info to check out.

I just logged in my picks (probably should have spent more time thinking it through).

+1, tableau is awesome. Just starting playing around with it at my current job as well.

This is phenomenal. I dont care for soccer unless its at the world cup level (sure, it's too casual and probably not die-hard enough for this thread...just like when I post in NHL or MLB threads only during playoffs), but this is going to be really helpful for office discussions and betting purposes! Thanks!

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Picture of Manaus field 3 days before first game

USA/Portugal match will be the 3rd game on that field and will be played in a sauna. Definitely good news for you guys.
    Gonna try to get in on this.....thanks.....

What makes the crappy field conditions/ rainforest temps beneficial to the USA team in your opinion?
    Slowing the game up could be a hindering factor if the US plans on a counter striking type of atttack versus trying to maintain ball control, which against Portugal may be a bad decision.

Thanks again peeps.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Gonna try to get in on this.....thanks.....

What makes the crappy field conditions/ rainforest temps beneficial to the USA team in your opinion?
    Slowing the game up could be a hindering factor if the US plans on a counter striking type of atttack versus trying to maintain ball control, which against Portugal may be a bad decision.

Thanks again peeps.

IMO crappy conditions (wind, bad field, heat...) will always favor an underdog.Playing conditions will also be a problem for the US, but it levels the field of play. In what might be a winner takes all game, with every scoreless minute that goes by, Portugal, a team like France which has underachieved many times, will get more and more frustrated.

US needs to take a page from the Italian playbook: stay patient, chop the game up with fouls if you need to, and wait for the Portugese to get tired and frustrated.

Veteran
    I'm in

I'm thinking Messi will finally bring home the trophy this year. There isn't as much expectation and pressure on him as the past world cups.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I'm in

I'm thinking Messi will finally bring home the trophy this year. There isn't as much expectation and pressure on him as the past world cups.
    Are you kidding? Argentina has insane firepower, the expectations are through the roof.

As for Messi, with every major competition that passes the pressure gets worse for him to finally show up. He's bombed in every WC and is constantly getting the "he's nothing without Barcelona" treatment. If he doesn't score in the first game or 2, the pressure will increase.

All Pro
    Are you kidding? Argentina has insane firepower, the expectations are through the roof.

As for Messi, with every major competition that passes the pressure gets worse for him to finally show up. He's bombed in every WC and is constantly getting the "he's nothing without Barcelona" treatment. If he doesn't score in the first game or 2, the pressure will increase.
    "Every World Cup" seems like a stretch, he was 18 in 2006, started in 1 match, subbed in 2 others and scored a goal.
    He didn't play well in 2010, and Argentina was smoked in the quarterfinals.

Hall Of Fame
    "Every World Cup" seems like a stretch, he was 18 in 2006, started in 1 match, subbed in 2 others and scored a goal.
    He didn't play well in 2010, and Argentina was smoked in the quarterfinals.
    Was looking for that kind of info on your site

I heard last night, he's scored one goal in WC matches.

All Pro
    Was looking for that kind of info on your site

I heard last night, he's scored one goal in WC matches.
    Yup. It's actually really shocking, getting a hold of the raw data for each game in a usable format is really difficult. I'm trying to piece it together myself, and it's basically taking a lot of randomly formatted files and creating scripts (which I'm not too familiar with). Interesting, but super time consuming. I was hoping to have that all tied together by the time this got started, but it's not happening. Meanwhile I'm just going to keep plugging away at it.

We got this notice at my office yesterday:

"Greetings,

In anticipation of the start of the World Cup Thursday, June 12th, we are asking everyone to please refrain from streaming any type of non-business related video across the company’s Internet circuits. We are communicating with you now to prevent the Internet circuits from becoming congested during the World Cup and preventing employees from conducting legitimate business. The Network Security team will monitor the Internet links and implement measures to block access to sites broadcasting the games should utilization and performance become an issue and there is no clear business requirement. Your cooperation and communication with in this matter is greatly appreciated."

A lot of us are displeased about this.

Hall Of Fame
    Yup. It's actually really shocking, getting a hold of the raw data for each game in a usable format is really difficult. I'm trying to piece it together myself, and it's basically taking a lot of randomly formatted files and creating scripts (which I'm not too familiar with). Interesting, but super time consuming. I was hoping to have that all tied together by the time this got started, but it's not happening. Meanwhile I'm just going to keep plugging away at it.

We got this notice at my office yesterday:

"Greetings,

In anticipation of the start of the World Cup Thursday, June 12th, we are asking everyone to please refrain from streaming any type of non-business related video across the company’s Internet circuits. We are communicating with you now to prevent the Internet circuits from becoming congested during the World Cup and preventing employees from conducting legitimate business. The Network Security team will monitor the Internet links and implement measures to block access to sites broadcasting the games should utilization and performance become an issue and there is no clear business requirement. Your cooperation and communication with in this matter is greatly appreciated."

A lot of us are displeased about this.
    Well they didn't say anything about going to
    a bar to see the games

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Kaka

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    No WC thread soccer guys?