Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 361 to 377 of 377

Thread: Official World Cup Thread

  1. #361
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,079
    Both defenses played masterfully, especially Mascherano he was the MoM for me. I know most people don't like it but when done right watching a defensive display like this is also very enjoyable, at least for me. I wish the semis had been Bra-Arg and Ned-Ger. Both great rivalries with passion. as it was I think the more deserving sides got through in both semis.

    I'm inclined to think Arg. have a slight edge because Germany might get carried away by the scoreline against Brazil. Than again its the germans they're friggin machines so maybe not.

  2. #362
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,975
    this finale on Sunday reminds me of the semi in 06 between Italy vs Germany. I remember nobody gave Italy a chance, and Argentina has a lot of Italian players on their team, Messi's parents were both born in Italy. Every time Germany sees Italy they crap their pants. The Argentina defense is just to good, and will figure out a way to stop the high scoring Germans, just like Italy did in 06.Plus you know the FIFA crooks want Argentina to win, so then can make make big bucks their new star Messi. If this game was being played in Europe I might pick Germany here, but the South American team is going to win on Sunday. Argentina 2 Germany 0. Germany can hold their heads up high if they lose, knocking off Brazil 7-1 in their home country was poetic Justice. WTF is wrong with those Brazil players? Is it a custom over there, when you lose a game the whole team must go on a crying jag? Just loved the way Germany went straight for the throat of their ***** %ss players. Brazil is now the biggest joke in world Futball, lmfao

  3. #363
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,219
    I think Brazil’s failure is a mix of things

    - Not a great generation of players.
    - Absolutely no tactical discipline. Guys running all over the place (scary to think David Luiz is coming to Paris)
    - Emotional team. Guys crying during games, after the Chile game. Thiago Silva (Cap) refusing to take part in the shootout..
    - Questionable personnel decision. Guys left off the list of 23 (Luis and Miranda from Atletico would have helped…), keeping Dani Alves in, maybe could have put Maxwell at left back

  4. #364
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,165
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Both defenses played masterfully, especially Mascherano he was the MoM for me. I know most people don't like it but when done right watching a defensive display like this is also very enjoyable, at least for me. I wish the semis had been Bra-Arg and Ned-Ger. Both great rivalries with passion. as it was I think the more deserving sides got through in both semis.

    I'm inclined to think Arg. have a slight edge because Germany might get carried away by the scoreline against Brazil. Than again its the germans they're friggin machines so maybe not.
    I found it interesting to watch... like two boxers testing and jabbing, then a sudden uppercut that just grazed the chin. It had to be that kind of match. I will say that Robben and Van Persie both looked gassed. Van Persie was nearly comatose. Should be a great final matching two teams that can attack and defend and are well coordinated. Really looking forward to it. (p.s. GO ARGENTINA!!)

  5. #365
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,342
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I think Brazil’s failure is a mix of things

    - Not a great generation of players.
    - Absolutely no tactical discipline. Guys running all over the place (scary to think David Luiz is coming to Paris)
    - Emotional team. Guys crying during games, after the Chile game. Thiago Silva (Cap) refusing to take part in the shootout..
    - Questionable personnel decision. Guys left off the list of 23 (Luis and Miranda from Atletico would have helped…), keeping Dani Alves in, maybe could have put Maxwell at left back
    Why would silva refuse

  6. #366
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,219
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    Why would silva refuse
    Because he shat himself.

  7. #367
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,219
    Apparently Suarez to Barca is official.

    Estimated at 75 M€

  8. #368
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,219
    Philip Lahm and Javier Mascherano, can't play their positions any better than they are.

  9. #369
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,219
    Messi was a no show tonight. He also comes off as a bit of a doosh almost anti social. His walking around while everyone else is playing their hearts out is a bit annoying.

  10. #370
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,219
    Messi best player of the tournament?

    FIFA joke knows no bounds.

  11. #371
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    24
    LOL I don't follow soccer much but isn't Messi supposed to be the best player in the world? how do you shank a kick like that in the biggest game of your career? wasn't even close to goal. he should be tar-and-feathered in the public square back in Buenos Aires for that one.

  12. #372
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Messi was a no show tonight. He also comes off as a bit of a doosh almost anti social. His walking around while everyone else is playing their hearts out is a bit annoying.
    Agreed. He was dangerous on a few instances in the first half, but really vanished in the second half and extra time. I thought it was a very good final though. That goal was a thing of beauty.

  13. #373
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,205
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Messi was a no show tonight. He also comes off as a bit of a doosh almost anti social. His walking around while everyone else is playing their hearts out is a bit annoying.
    Really? I like that he is quiet. Kind of like Kevin Durant.

  14. #374
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,219
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Really? I like that he is quiet. Kind of like Kevin Durant.
    Quiet is fine. But he seems just detached, no words with his teammates before, during or after.

  15. #375
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Quiet is fine. But he seems just detached, no words with his teammates before, during or after.
    Isn't that kind of the way he is though? Afterwards, I'm not really sure I'd have a lot of words either. There's almost not much to say in the immediate aftermath of a crushing defeat like that. It was just shock and disappointment. His detached look almost seemed like he was embarrassed to get the award as well.

    As for the final, I thought it was excellent quite frankly. There were 3 very good chances for Argentina to put a ball in the net and they didn't, and that will haunt them for at least 4 years, probably for decades. The strategy of playing tight defense and counterattacking actually seemed to work well, Argentina was fine giving Germany most of the possession and then getting a decent chance to attack about once every 5 to 10 minutes. In terms of quality chances I think Argentina probably had more than Germany, they just couldn't finish it in the goal.

    I'm glad the game was decided without PKs. I hate seeing important matches comes down to kicks even though it's a thrilling way to end a match. And I'm also glad that it was a very good, quality goal that won the game. If you watch the reply there were easily 7 or 8 Argentina players to just two Germans in the 20 yard area in front of the goal. How they let Gotze remain unmarked is what will give them nightmares because Argentina was still running hard even in that 113th minute. I think it was a bit of a mental lapse by a couple of defenders and just a great pass from Schurrle and a perfect finish by Gotze.

    Oh well, the best team won IMO. I think Germany, Argentina and Netherlands were clearly the 3 best teams in this WC.

  16. #376
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924

  17. #377
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,219
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Isn't that kind of the way he is though? Afterwards, I'm not really sure I'd have a lot of words either. There's almost not much to say in the immediate aftermath of a crushing defeat like that. It was just shock and disappointment. His detached look almost seemed like he was embarrassed to get the award as well.
    He is that way, maybe I'm being harsh. Zidane was also 'the silent type'. Still, when he has a sub par game like he did in the final, his body language is annoying for me.


    As for the final, I thought it was excellent quite frankly. There were 3 very good chances for Argentina to put a ball in the net and they didn't, and that will haunt them for at least 4 years, probably for decades. The strategy of playing tight defense and counterattacking actually seemed to work well, Argentina was fine giving Germany most of the possession and then getting a decent chance to attack about once every 5 to 10 minutes. In terms of quality chances I think Argentina probably had more than Germany, they just couldn't finish it in the goal.
    It was a good match down to the wire. IMO, if Di Maria plays for Argentina, they win the cup. Higuain miss was a huge brain fart which he'll remember the rest of his life. The other opportunities were all Neuer being in everyone's head. The guy has been a wall all competition so attackers know they can't just aim for the goal, the have to aim right inside the bars. Messi's miss was exactly that IMO. Had it been a different goalie, he wouldn't have crossed as much.

    I'm glad the game was decided without PKs. I hate seeing important matches comes down to kicks even though it's a thrilling way to end a match. And I'm also glad that it was a very good, quality goal that won the game. If you watch the reply there were easily 7 or 8 Argentina players to just two Germans in the 20 yard area in front of the goal. How they let Gotze remain unmarked is what will give them nightmares because Argentina was still running hard even in that 113th minute. I think it was a bit of a mental lapse by a couple of defenders and just a great pass from Schurrle and a perfect finish by Gotze.
    Agreed. Having an imortant game go to PK's while providing good drama, isn't fair. I think in England for their Cup matches they replay the game in case of a tie.

    Goetz goal was a beauty. The mitsake IMO came from letting Schurrle go un challenged for 50m and being able to center the ball while having 2 defenders on him. I think the defenders were surprised he was actually able to get the ball passed the 2 guys. Once it was passed, it was too late. Still, that's no gimme for Goetz.

    Oh well, the best team won IMO. I think Germany, Argentina and Netherlands were clearly the 3 best teams in this WC.
    +1 though I'd add no team really dominated the WC. Even Germany had ups and downs and came close to losing a few times.
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 07-16-2014 at 03:08 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us