Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Tony Gwynn dead at 54

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,458

    Tony Gwynn dead at 54

    One of the best hitters of my time. R.I.P.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,960
    RIP Mr. Padre. The best hitter since Ted Williams, and by all accounts, a HOF Hunan being as well.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,537

    RIP

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,148
    Can from chewing tobacco got him. Damn. RIP.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    astoria
    Posts
    5,618
    wow didn't even know he was sick...RIP Tony...

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,960
    Some of the Tony Gwynn stats people are sharing today are just mindblowing.

    Some of my favorites:

    In his career, he had 1 3 strike out game(there were 11 in all MLB Sunday).

    434 career strike outs(22.5 per season). Gwynn did that in 10,232 PA's. Mark Reynolds K'd 434 times over 1258 PA's in Across 09-10.

    In 330 some odd career AB's against Smoltz, Pedro, Glavine and Maddux, 3 K's.

    The stat only goes back to 1988, but with 2 strikes, Gwynn hit .302 for his career. That is completely ridiculous.

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    891
    Damn....RIP.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    RIP Mr. Padre. The best hitter since Ted Williams, and by all accounts, a HOF Hunan being as well.
    RIP, great hitter.

    Maybe the best contact hitter, but best hitter since Ted Williams? Nah nah nah.

    Probably best player who never won an MVP. Closest he came was 3rd, the year he hit .394 he was 7th in MVP voting. That's insane..
    Last edited by Tyler Durden 2.0; 06-16-2014 at 08:31 PM.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    891
    Career batting average the best since Ted....

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Career batting average the best since Ted....
    More to it than that, at least in my view. With all due respect, The "best hitter" since Williams isn't a singles hitter. He's only hit more than 30 doubles 6x (Cano for reference has done it every year of his career thus far, over 40 doubles six out of 9 seasons) plus only 5 double digit home run seasons, Derek Jeter has more power.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden 2.0; 06-16-2014 at 08:51 PM.

  11. #11
    I will add this though, he probably could of hit for more power if he sacrificed some of that batting avg.

  12. #12
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden 2.0 View Post
    More to it than that, at least in my view. With all due respect, The "best hitter" since Williams isn't a singles hitter. He's only hit more than 30 doubles 6x (Cano for reference has done it every year of his career thus far, over 40 doubles six out of 9 seasons) plus only 5 double digit home run seasons, Derek Jeter has more power.
    If Gwynn was the the Yankees He'd be a God now. There'd be monuments, statues, and Genuflecting Yankee across the face of the Earth.

    I was stating the average. That's all. He's an All time Great. That is all. I don't care about any Yankees right now.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    If Gwynn was the the Yankees He'd be a God now. There'd be monuments, statues, and Genuflecting Yankee across the face of the Earth.

    I was stating the average. That's all. He's an All time Great. That is all. I don't care about any Yankees right now.
    Sorry I didn't mean to quote your post. I was directing most of what I said to hawkeye. Agree, he is an all time great. And now I actually feel bad knocking him a bit. Fantastic hitter, one of the best pure hitters I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden 2.0; 06-16-2014 at 09:19 PM.

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden 2.0 View Post
    Sorry I didn't mean to quote your post. I was directing most of what I said to hawkeye. Agree, he is an all time great.
    Oh...I was ready to go Postal before you changed it..haha

    RIP Tony Gwynn....a favorite of mine. He had a shot at .400 in '94...before the strike ruined that, and Matt Williams' shot at 60 HR's.

    That season caused the fans to shy away and ushered in Selig and MLB turning a blind eye to PED's and the enhanced numbers that followed to get the fans back in the seats.

    Gwynn is up there as far as I'm concerned as a great hitter. In a good lineup he would've had better numbers. Plus He was an excellent defender and an excellent baserunner.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    If Gwynn was the the Yankees He'd be a God now. There'd be monuments, statues, and Genuflecting Yankee across the face of the Earth.
    This is the truth

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    If Gwynn was the the Yankees He'd be a God now. There'd be monuments, statues, and Genuflecting Yankee across the face of the Earth.

    I was stating the average. That's all. He's an All time Great. That is all. I don't care about any Yankees right now.
    Do you want some cheese with your wine?

  17. #17
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Do you want some cheese with your wine?
    An homage to Tony Gwynn and this is what u have to say? Clown

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,537
    Gwynn "would have" been a God if he were a Yankee?

    Pretty bad observation.

    Gwynn IS a god in the eyes of any real baseball fan who got to watch him.

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Gwynn "would have" been a God if he were a Yankee?

    Pretty bad observation.

    Gwynn IS a god in the eyes of any real baseball fan who got to watch him.
    You missed my sarcasm...Astute one.

    Besides no player is a God, except to you I guess.

  20. #20
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,704
    RIP. One of the best. A true sportsman who played for love of the game not his wallet.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us