Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Islanders 2014-15 (Farewell to the Old Barn on Hempstead Turnpike)

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Not a good showing vs. Tampa on Saturday.

Hopefully tonight the NYR/Tampa game will be a 60 minute all out slug fest (Tampa wins, 4-3), and then the Isles return the favor to Tampa on Tuesday and whoop 'em 5-2.
    Well that didn't go as planned.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Not going to get too upset over Sat Night's loss. It is an 80 game season and you are going to have days where you come out flat - it happens to everyone. As long as one off game does not turn into playing flat for a week. Optimistic about tomorrow night at home.

Sounds like we are close to full strength -- Grabner was practicing with the team again, should be back before too long and Clutterbuck is apparently a go for tomorrow so hopefully Conacher takes a seat. Lines at practice today according to Staple:

Bailey-Tavares-Okposo,
    Grabovski-Nielsen-Kulemin (Grabner)
    Lee-Strome-Nelson,
    Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck (Conacher).
    Will be interesting to see what happens when Grabs comes back. IMO, they should have a rotation of Bailey, Lee, Strome, Martin, Cizikas, Clutterbuck taking a break. There's nothing wrong with a guy getting a spell every 7-10 games. I saw a link to an article that had Drouin talking about being a healthy scratch on Saturday simply because it was "his turn". Its a good thing that we have too many quality forwards. And while Martin is clearly not as skilled as everyone else, he brings something that we would otherwise be sorely lacking so he should be a (quasi) regular in the lineup. And I'd much rather have Lee here and play 7/8 of 10 games than down in BP.

Waive Conacher and Donovan and Strait, Boulton and the scratch of the day in the press box.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Well that didn't go as planned.
    At least we are seeing Nabby tonight. Bishop can just stand still and have a save % of .920

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    At least we are seeing Nabby tonight. Bishop can just stand still and have a save % of .920
    LOL, indeed.

Nappy in net, eh? Normally, being a Jets fan, I'd expect Nappy to pitch a shut-out tonight, with at least half a dozen incredible super human saves. Strangely enough, I'm not really worried about that tonight.

Which means, of course, it'll happen.

(Did I cover all bases there?)

All League
    Damn was I pissed after the first.

Then Clutterstache kickstarts them in the second. Good stuff. Brock Nelson with another goal on a deflection. Good stuff, good stuff.

Tough next few games. Pitt in BtB, then Philly for 3 games in 4 nights.

All Pro
    Damn was I pissed after the first.

Then Clutterstache kickstarts them in the second. Good stuff. Brock Nelson with another goal on a deflection. Good stuff, good stuff.

Tough next few games. Pitt in BtB, then Philly for 3 games in 4 nights.
    Another solid win. A few things I really liked about yesterday's game:

- Secondary scoring -- we got five goals, but none from the top line: 2 each from the 3rd and 4th lines. The Grabo goal off of the feed from Nielsen was a thing of beauty.

- Twice this season we have gotten our butts kicked and both times we came out a few days later and beat the team that beat us convincingly. First Colorado and then Tampa last night.

- Halak >>> Nabby. Pretty obvious, but it was nice to see it with them both on the ice.

Last season, it took us almost 40 games to get 24 points. This year, it has taken 18.

All League
    This has been the best November in recent memory. I hope it's not a fluke, and they keep it up, and there's no December swoon.

...and did you see Zeekers goal, high glove side, and then Nappy reach up to try n save it, after the puck has already hit the back of the net? Ahhh, classic. One thing, though. I thought it was a little low brow to chant "Nabby" after he allowed a couple goals.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This has been the best November in recent memory. I hope it's not a fluke, and they keep it up, and there's no December swoon.

...and did you see Zeekers goal, high glove side, and then Nappy reach up to try n save it, after the puck has already hit the back of the net? Ahhh, classic. One thing, though. I thought it was a little low brow to chant "Nabby" after he allowed a couple goals.
    Meh....this ain't golf. Nabby's got a good sense of humor - he was Fischler's favorite interview when he was here. I'm guessing he got a nice ovation at the beginning of the game (not sure if they put a montage up like they did when Streit came back). The chant is simply too easy to do - it was done dozens of times a game in years past. So now it was done is a jesting manner. I'm OK with that. Hopefully he laughed about it. If he didn't and got angry, he takes himself too seriously.

Boys looked good last night. Strome is impressing me these days. He'll only get stronger as he matures but it looks like he's playing more physical and more aggressive. That probably comes with more confidence. His goal was somewhat fluky but he did well to get into that position, so I guess good things happen when you put yourself in a position to succeed, whether its directly in or off a Dman's stick.

Grabovski was money too. Such good pickups him and Kulemin.

All League
    Now we just need to get Tavares going. Putting Bailey on the top line is a mistake IMO because he just too soft and scared to do the dirty work.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Now we just need to get Tavares going. Putting Bailey on the top line is a mistake IMO because he just too soft and scared to do the dirty work.
    Yeah, I really don't know what the issue is there. Is it just that he's pressing and making more mistakes on account of that? Is he still recovering from his injury? One thing that weighs on my mind a bit is that he doesn't really know how to be on a good, balanced team. For too many years its been JT and the Islanders. Now we can roll 4 quality lines (well, 3.5) and he doesn't need to be carrying the team on his back. Its a different mentality. No reason he can't succeed under these parameters - I think he just needs to relax, not try to do too much and it will come.

JMO, I think Nelson is the ultimate answer on LW with JT. Go like this:

Nelson - JT - KO
    Kulemin - Nielsen - Grabo
    Bailey - Strome - Lee

There's something to be said about having Nelson on a different line to balance them out. And honestly, as long as Conacher isn't playing, I don't much care what the lines are. Cappy juggled them last night and we still won 5-2. Good job by him.

All League
    if I'm not mistakin, didn't Cappy put Okposo on the second line, and they produced a goal? I forget which goal it was now. Have to check the box score

All League
    Yeah, I really don't know what the issue is there. Is it just that he's pressing and making more mistakes on account of that? Is he still recovering from his injury? One thing that weighs on my mind a bit is that he doesn't really know how to be on a good, balanced team. For too many years its been JT and the Islanders. Now we can roll 4 quality lines (well, 3.5) and he doesn't need to be carrying the team on his back. Its a different mentality. No reason he can't succeed under these parameters - I think he just needs to relax, not try to do too much and it will come.

Nelson - JT - KO
    Bailey - Strome - Lee

There's something to be said about having Nelson on a different line to balance them out. And honestly, as long as Conacher isn't playing, I don't much care what the lines are. Cappy juggled them last night and we still won 5-2. Good job by him.
    I'm no doctor, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I had a partial tear in my MCL, like JT did, back in July, and it's still not 100%.

All Pro
    That thing that concerns me the most about Tavares is the mistakes in his own end. Several turnovers, missed opportunities to clear last night -- and it seems to be happening every night. The offense will come, especially as he returns to full strength. I think he has also been little bit unlucky as he has had some games with a lot of opportunities where the goalie has made great plays and he has banged a few off the post. The scoring will come, but his play on the defensive side of the ice worries me more. This is why I liked having Kulemin on the wing with JT & KO. Kulemin is so good in his own end that he can help cover for some of the sloppy play and he is a guy who is not afraid to do the dirty work.

if I'm not mistakin, didn't Cappy put Okposo on the second line, and they produced a goal? I forget which goal it was now. Have to check the box score
    Okposo was on the ice for the Grabo goal. Fed the puck to Nielsen to start the play and picked up an assist.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

That thing that concerns me the most about Tavares is the mistakes in his own end. Several turnovers, missed opportunities to clear last night -- and it seems to be happening every night. The offense will come, especially as he returns to full strength. I think he has also been little bit unlucky as he has had some games with a lot of opportunities where the goalie has made great plays and he has banged a few off the post. The scoring will come, but his play on the defensive side of the ice worries me more. This is why I liked having Kulemin on the wing with JT & KO. Kulemin is so good in his own end that he can help cover for some of the sloppy play and he is a guy who is not afraid to do the dirty work.
    Some of his defensive lapses seem to come from trying to be too cute/pretty. Just get the puck out of there and get off the ice sometimes. Don't stay for a 2 minute shift. When I was at the Isles/WPG game, it was more obvious live than on TV. You see the opportunities to go to the bench and he just stayed with the chase, skated back into the defensive zone and was then stuck for another 45 seconds and played like they were killing a penalty because he was exhausted.

Okposo was on the ice for the Grabo goal. Fed the puck to Nielsen to start the play and picked up an assist.
    Didn't he make that great pass to Cizikas? That was fantastic. I thought the knock on KO was that he was a bad passer? Hardly the case.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I'm no doctor, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I had a partial tear in my MCL, like JT did, back in July, and it's still not 100%.
    I knew you haven't been on your game recently.

All League
    I knew you haven't been on your game recently.
    I'm tellin' ya!

All League

Nelson - JT - KO
    Bailey - Strome - Lee

I wan't too keep Nelson at center and the kiddie line of Lee-BN-Strome is really kicking. They seem to spend most of their shift in the offensive zone and I'm not breaking that apart. I'd like too see them try Grabo on the LW for at least 5 games. He is good defensively, works hard and most of all he is not afraid to shoot the puck. You also need to keep Lee on the left side.
    I just looked up Baileys stats. 13 shots in 10 games. That is abysmal for someone to be playing top line minutes.

All League
    Some Ol' Time Hockey at the Bridge tonight.

http://www.hockeyfights-video.com/no...nd-tigers-ahl/

All League
    Not fer nuthin, but I'm not sure I want Grabner back in the lineup. What does he bring, exactly? Some PK duty, and missing the net on his 2.3 break-aways a game?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Not fer nuthin, but I'm not sure I want Grabner back in the lineup. What does he bring, exactly? Some PK duty, and missing the net on his 2.3 break-aways a game?
    There are two different Michael Grabners - the lazy one who brings less than nothing to the team and the motivated one who forechecks well, plays a bit physical, is a fantastic PKer and stretches the ice with his speed.

If we get the good one, I'm happy to have him back. If we get the lazy one, he sits. But, he's definitely a guy who can potentially contribute if he maximizes his skills.