Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Islanders 2014-15 (Farewell to the Old Barn on Hempstead Turnpike)

All League
    BTW, quickly scanned an article on nhl.com about Vanek and the Wild. Basically said Wild trying to get Vanek going. He's got 1 goal and 10 points so far in 18 games or whatever. Then he's quoted as saying something like "I've been bounced all over every line, I don't have chemistry with anyone really". He did OK for his time here, didn't really do diddly squat in Montreal, and now isn't doing diddly squat in Minnesota.

I dunno, just another example of what a stupid ass fvcking trade it was that Garf pulled.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    BTW, quickly scanned an article on nhl.com about Vanek and the Wild. Basically said Wild trying to get Vanek going. He's got 1 goal and 10 points so far in 18 games or whatever. Then he's quoted as saying something like "I've been bounced all over every line, I don't have chemistry with anyone really". He did OK for his time here, didn't really do diddly squat in Montreal, and now isn't doing diddly squat in Minnesota.

I dunno, just another example of what a stupid ass fvcking trade it was that Garf pulled.
    I would imagine you'd really be killing him if Vanek actually signed long term/big money here.

The season is going pretty well and Snow's latest trades seem to be some pretty damn good ones. He tried to make a move with Vanek and it didn't work out. If you want to kill him, Nino for Clutterbuck seems far worse now.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I would imagine you'd really be killing him if Vanek actually signed long term/big money here.

The season is going pretty well and Snow's latest trades seem to be some pretty damn good ones. He tried to make a move with Vanek and it didn't work out. If you want to kill him, Nino for Clutterbuck seems far worse now.
    If Vanek signed here and he sucked, yep, I'd be killing him. It was an awful deal, just another nail in that coffin. Now imagine having a first and second rd pick next year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    There are two different Michael Grabners - the lazy one who brings less than nothing to the team and the motivated one who forechecks well, plays a bit physical, is a fantastic PKer and stretches the ice with his speed.

If we get the good one, I'm happy to have him back. If we get the lazy one, he sits. But, he's definitely a guy who can potentially contribute if he maximizes his skills.
    I really like the 2nd Grabner that you describe. Too bad we didn't see much of him last year. But at this point - with his speed and still being in his 20s, I am willing to give the guy a pass for an off year. His speed puts a lot of pressure on the defense and opens up the ice for his teammates. Our PK has not been great, and I would like to see him back just for his penalty killing. And, as you say, this team has enough depth that he can sit if he doesn't play hard.

I heard he made the trip to Pitt, maybe he makes his season debut tonight.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

If Vanek signed here and he sucked, yep, I'd be killing him. It was an awful deal, just another nail in that coffin. Now imagine having a first and second rd pick next year.
    L - muh man, you'd find a brown stain in a rainbow. Instead of focusing on the past missteps (and there have been 20+ years of them) why not focus on the team now and their current success? We are going into a home and home series that may end up with us in first place for the first time in I don't even know how long. And while Garth screwed the pooch on the Vanek trade, at least it wasn't compounded worse by signing him to a 7 year deal. And I don't think anyone will complain about his most recent moves. Personally, I'm relieved we didn't sign that slug (and I was one of those that was originally happy with the trade).

And if/when Collberg and HO Sang contribute, we'll be forgetting those lost picks completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I really like the 2nd Grabner that you describe. Too bad we didn't see much of him last year. But at this point - with his speed and still being in his 20s, I am willing to give the guy a pass for an off year. His speed puts a lot of pressure on the defense and opens up the ice for his teammates. Our PK has not been great, and I would like to see him back just for his penalty killing. And, as you say, this team has enough depth that he can sit if he doesn't play hard.

I heard he made the trip to Pitt, maybe he makes his season debut tonight.
    I'm guessing he's still a few games away. But being that he's able to get on the ice, might as well bring him on the trip. I don't know why hockey doesn't utilize the "rehab game" like baseball does. It would make all the sense in the world to have Grabs down in BP for a game or three getting his legs back. Especially with hernia surgery.

Is that even a thing in hockey?

All Pro
    I'm guessing he's still a few games away. But being that he's able to get on the ice, might as well bring him on the trip. I don't know why hockey doesn't utilize the "rehab game" like baseball does. It would make all the sense in the world to have Grabs down in BP for a game or three getting his legs back. Especially with hernia surgery.

Is that even a thing in hockey?
    You are right - no Grabner tonight. Cappy just announced that there are no changes in the lineup from Tuesday night except that Johnson is starting in net.

All League
    L - muh man, you'd find a brown stain in a rainbow. Instead of focusing on the past missteps (and there have been 20+ years of them) why not focus on the team now and their current success? We are going into a home and home series that may end up with us in first place for the first time in I don't even know how long. And while Garth screwed the pooch on the Vanek trade, at least it wasn't compounded worse by signing him to a 7 year deal. And I don't think anyone will complain about his most recent moves. Personally, I'm relieved we didn't sign that slug (and I was one of those that was originally happy with the trade).

And if/when Collberg and HO Sang contribute, we'll be forgetting those lost picks completely.
    Ha, didn't mean to get everyones panties in a bunch! Saw the Vanek article, and my post was just a quick reminisce about how f'ing retarded it was. I didn't intend to imply any jackassery about this season. Two separate deals. So far, so good, this season. Garfs pick-ups beat the hell out of those two fellas last year who Chicago grabbed. I can't even remember their names now.

You are right - no Grabner tonight. Cappy just announced that there are no changes in the lineup from Tuesday night except that Johnson is starting in net.
    I like Cappys move of starting Johnson tonight.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Ha, didn't mean to get everyones panties in a bunch! Saw the Vanek article, and my post was just a quick reminisce about how f'ing retarded it was. I didn't intend to imply any jackassery about this season. Two separate deals. So far, so good, this season. Garfs pick-ups beat the hell out of those two fellas last year who Chicago grabbed. I can't even remember their names now.

I like Cappys move of starting Johnson tonight.
    Only rainbows and unicorns in this thread, buddy. Unless they lose tonight. Then we can start the Fire Cappy chants!

But I have to give you your due on that trade. You were against it from the beginning. I rationalized it thinking we could recoup those lost picks at the deadline, which clearly didn't happen.

Bouchard and Regin. They aren't household names?????

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Just saw on HF that Shannon tweeted out these lines:

29-91-86
    84-51-21
    27-18-12
    17-53-15

Personally I like them. Okposo and JT don't need to be tied at the hip and I'm sure they'll be together still on the PP. Both Strome and Nelson are both more suited to play Center - nothing wrong with giving Strome is time there too.

As long as Conacher sits and Martin stays on the 4th line, I can't conceive of line combos that I would hate with these guys. And looking at that 2nd line...Grabo, Fransy, Okposo? That can be fvcking deadly. And if this gets JT going, more power to them.

All League

29-91-86
    84-51-21
    27-18-12
    17-53-15

Personally I like them. Okposo and JT don't need to be tied at the hip and I'm sure they'll be together still on the PP. Both Strome and Nelson are both more suited to play Center - nothing wrong with giving Strome is time there too.

As long as Conacher sits and Martin stays on the 4th line, I can't conceive of line combos that I would hate with these guys. And looking at that 2nd line...Grabo, Fransy, Okposo? That can be fvcking deadly. And if this gets JT going, more power to them.
    Well they moved Brock to the wing but overall I am very much in favor of these lines. Lets just hope they jell sooner rather than later. And by sooner I mean tonight, I'm pumped for the game tonight.

All League

Bouchard and Regin. They aren't household names?????
    Bah! That's them! LOLz. Definitely unmemorable!

29-91-86
    84-51-21
    27-18-12
    17-53-15

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Well they moved Brock to the wing but overall I am very much in favor of these lines. Lets just hope they jell sooner rather than later. And by sooner I mean tonight, I'm pumped for the game tonight.
    Those lines sound good to me. Agree all points - hope they gel early tonight. I hate Pitt, but they've been almost unstoppable in all their games so far. Only a couple clinkers. Hope the Isles come out early and punch 'em right in the mouth.

....and when will the real Fleury show up? Who's this guy impersonating him lately?

All League
    Went to see UConn beat #11 Vermont 2-1 tonight. Forgot to set the DVR for the isles. Must have missed a good first two periods.

All League
    Keep this link in mind when this place shuts down. Keep the thread alive.

http://thenyjetshampur.freeforums.ne...york-islanders

All League
    Fvck yeah.... 2 points at Pitts.

All League
    Keep this link in mind when this place shuts down. Keep the thread alive.

http://thenyjetshampur.freeforums.ne...york-islanders
    Throw in a self moderated draft forum and you might have something.

All Pro
    Fvck yeah.... 2 points at Pitts.
    2 points in Pitt with our backup goalie. What a play by Boychuk in the OT to save it -- was sure Pitt (I think Kunitz) had the game winner, but awesome play by Boychuk. And how good is Nielsen in the shootout.

All League
    2 points in Pitt with our backup goalie. What a play by Boychuk in the OT to save it -- was sure Pitt (I think Kunitz) had the game winner, but awesome play by Boychuk. And how good is Nielsen in the shootout.
    Awesome they go tot 2 points with Johnson in net in Pitt.

Now put the hammer down at home tomorrow night with Halak in net.

Good stuff!

All League
    I fvckin love Boychuk, maybe I mentioned that. I thought Johnson was bad tonight , but this team is so deep they made up for it. Ballsy call by Cappy putting Frans out there at the end. Neilsen is so underrated.

All League
    Awesome they go tot 2 points with Johnson in net in Pitt.

Now put the hammer down at home tomorrow night with Halak in net.

Good stuff!
    +1 HUGE game tomorrow.

All Pro
    I fvckin love Boychuk, maybe I mentioned that. I thought Johnson was bad tonight , but this team is so deep they made up for it. Ballsy call by Cappy putting Frans out there at the end. Neilsen is so underrated.
    I think you may have mentioned your man-crush on Boychuk once or twice before. I missed most of the game, but I loved the discipline in our own end in the OT. Even though we were stuck in our own end for most of OT, we didn't give Pitt many if any lanes to shoot.