Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MICHAEL SAM MADE A TACKLE!!!!!!! (kind of)

All Pro

MICHAEL SAM MADE A TACKLE!!!!!!! (kind of)

Tiger Woods missed the cut at the PGA Championship. Rory McIlroy is in the lead, in great position for career major #4 at the age of 25.

Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater made their NFL debuts.

Ed O'Bannon won his lawsuit against the NCAA. A decision which could have a monumental impact on the sports landscape.

What's the lead story on ESPN? Michael Sam made a tackle! (and registered a QB hit!)

I didn't have a problem with them showing him kissing his boyfriend when he was drafted. I thought that was fine. The draft is a spectacle. But this bothered me. We are now in the "football" part of the football season. Michael Sam is a 3rd string DE on the St. Louis Rams. He shouldn't be 90% of the Saints-Rams highlight, and he definitely shouldn't be the lead story when there's actual news to report. Unless he's making highlight worthy plays or someone says something ignorant to the press, we shouldn't be hearing much of anything about Michael Sam until we find out if he's made the team or not.

Banned
    Wow. A tackle. In football.

MVP

Hall Of Fame
    I support Sam and am not particularly fond of the way the media makes stories out of things, but whatever. I can't be bothered enough to be outraged by this.

Rookie
    Could not agree more. How is this news? ESPN is such a joke I don't watch anymore.

Rookie
    you have the first openly gay man playing in the NFL whos not a lock to make the team....i think theres an interest in the public in how he performs, regardless of how miniscule the plays he makes on the field are. will it go overboard, probably....if they mention how hes progessing and whatnot its not a big deal...im curious as well. if they turn it into a tebowmania like spectacle then thats a totally different story.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by lauderdale jet View Post
    you have the first openly gay man playing in the NFL whos not a lock to make the team....i think theres an interest in the public in how he performs, regardless of how miniscule the plays he makes on the field are. will it go overboard, probably....if they mention how hes progessing and whatnot its not a big deal...im curious as well. if they turn it into a tebowmania like spectacle then thats a totally different story.
    It's like Anchorman 2.

Don't tell them what they have to hear, just what they want to hear.

Media dictates what's important and popular.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by lauderdale jet View Post
    It shouldn't be a story.

I'm tired of gaynesss being shoved down my throat in politics and so many movies. TV shows are littered with this. And the fake outrage machine will hunt you down if you don't like it. I actually don't want to hear about it.

Only in Obama's America...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    It shouldn't be a story.

I'm tired of gaynesss being shoved down my throat in politics and so many movies. TV shows are littered with this. And the fake outrage machine will hunt you down if you don't like it. I actually don't want to hear about it.

I'm sure racists felt the same way back then.

Undrafted Free Agent

I'm tired of gaynesss being shoved down my throat
    Unfortunate phrasing if I may say so.

The media have a way of saturating the population with a storyline to the point they start to resent it - happens so often, you have wonder if thats exactly the plan.

Look at the Tebow nonsense, don't get me wrong that guy did make himself a spectacle, but the way in which the media picked up and pounded it 24/7 made people who were fairly Tebow-neutral come to despise the guy.

Banned
    All ESPN does is talk about Lebron, Johnny Football and Tebow nonstop. I can't stand them!!!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Caught_Jetster View Post
    Unfortunate phrasing if I may say so.

The media have a way of saturating the population with a storyline to the point they start to resent it - happens so often, you have wonder if thats exactly the plan.

Look at the Tebow nonsense, don't get me wrong that guy did make himself a spectacle, but the way in which the media picked up and pounded it 24/7 made people who were fairly Tebow-neutral come to despise the guy.
    Interesting point on the potential intent. This country has great skill in pitting everyone against each other.

As for the "unfortunate" phrasing, I don't copy. As you admit, it's saturated. I don't have to like it. Nearly all religions don't recognize this and consider this "lifestyle" as sinful. We're taught from an early age not to recognize this yet we're seeing it freely displayed suddenly in a growing number of outlets. I find it hard to believe that ratings dictate the level of attention this is getting. Something more at play there as you suggest.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'm sure racists felt the same way back then.
    Sorry, I don't see the relevance.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peppers View Post
    All ESPN does is talk about Lebron, Johnny Football and Tebow nonstop. I can't stand them!!!
    They literally spot shadowed every one of his plays on the field in the ESPN highlights. I feel sorry for the kid they're going to Tebow his career into oblivion. They are going to sensationalize and make a mockery of the whole thing this is not a big deal he happens to be a gay football player - stop the circus

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    They literally spot shadowed every one of his plays on the field in the ESPN highlights. I feel sorry for the kid they're going to Tebow his career into oblivion. They are going to sensationalize and make a mockery of the whole thing this is not a big deal he happens to be a gay football player - stop the circus
    For the Jets' sake, I'm glad they didn't draft him. Idzik has been carefully extinguishing the circus fire that was so bright here.

Banned
    If Michael Sam gets a Tebowmania following that would be insane. They would be JUST like Tebowites, only complete opposites at the same time. It would be the most fabulous, flaming following ever.
    They could protest each other from other sides of the parking lot, and migrate from team to team like a herd based on where he bounced to next, taking over stadiums and online forums like locust, 10% there for football, 90% there to enforce their cause.

Division rival should sign Tim now.

Make it happen NFL.

All Pro
    It shouldn't be a story.

Yeah, Obama is totally responsible for this

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

MVP
    See Vernon Gholston to understand.

Hall Of Fame
    Sorry, I don't see the relevance.
    I know you don't.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

MVP
    If it was Vernon Gholston I would understand all the hooplah.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I know you don't.
    Then try explaining.