Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Robin Williams

JetsInsider.com Legend
    His movies were pretty much awful, but his standup was amazing.

RIP

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

RIP
    You really should change your avatar to this:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    You really should change your avatar to this:
    A man just died (possibly while jerking it and asphyxiating himself whilst counting his Hook money)

Respect...
    Last edited by Untouchable; 08-12-2014 at 12:43 AM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    Dead poets society
    THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    A man just died (possibly while jerking it and asphyxiating himself whilst counting his Hook money)

Respect...
    Thats awful. Why r u so grumpy.....about everything

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Not quite, PK sums it up pretty well below. Whether he was manic or had BPD... Substance abuse was just an outlet to him, as was him career/humor...

I say that as a a previous substance abuser of the aforementioned, who had other issues aside from the substance abuse that directly influenced it to begin with...
    Fair enough, I admit my comment was a tad flippant. Discussing mental health in general is taboo which is heartbreaking. Depression...well, we've all been there, some of us more than others, but it's not something you bring up at parties. Such as stigma attached to it and it's such a goddamn shame.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdeacon88 View Post
    Very very sad. RIP Mr. Williams you were a great man and brought me and my family many good times. You will always be remembered
    Well said, RIP Robin.

Hall Of Fame
    I dont know why this has upset me so much

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

What time is the wake?

JetsInsider.com Legend

RIP

Yeah, like this is a terrible list?

http://www.imdb.com/filmosearch?expl...tle_type=movie

Yes there are some duds in there, but they all can't be home runs. You're such an insufferable old codger sometimes, Christ.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Wow - bummer.

I actually met him when I was like 6 years old. My Grandmother lived on a little island off CT where they filmed GARP. It was during the summer and I was there for the summer. Ran into him and Christopher Reeves with my brother and got an autograph from 'Mork' - which I was very happy about. My grandmother was actually a prominent extra in GARP, so it's nice to see her whenever I catch the film on TV.

MANY years later - maybe around 2003 - I was walking on the UES in Manhattan doing Xmas shopping and I looked up and Robin Williams was walking towards me. He was like a meter away and I just blurted out 'Do you remember Fisher's Island?" - the name of the island. I suddenly felt like a Tourrettes (sp) sufferer and was slightly embarrassed - but he stopped in his tracks and a big genuine smile lit up his face, like it was a genuine happy memory.

He said "Ohhh, that was a LONG time ago!" And I explained about my grandmother and he shook my hand, wished her well and we exchanged Xmas wishes. And then he suddenly hailed a big ass limo and climbed in with a waive. And I remember thinking that he was just a class act.

BTW - I should also say that I excitedly watch GARP when it came out on video when I was like 7 and I was like "WTF Mork??". Not a kids movie . . .
    Good stuff. He seems to be the kind of guy who would be genuinely happy to talk to you. Glad to hear that was the case.

RIP Robin. You will be missed. Good Morning Vietnam was my favorite movie as a kid. I still remember that entire monologue.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This should bring Timmmmy out of hiding as they were both sad clowns from outer space.

So, you know...we have that going for us.

-

Hall Of Fame

Bad taste? Maybe.
    Would Robin find it funny? Absolutely.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Wow - bummer.

I actually met him when I was like 6 years old. My Grandmother lived on a little island off CT where they filmed GARP. It was during the summer and I was there for the summer. Ran into him and Christopher Reeves with my brother and got an autograph from 'Mork' - which I was very happy about. My grandmother was actually a prominent extra in GARP, so it's nice to see her whenever I catch the film on TV.

MANY years later - maybe around 2003 - I was walking on the UES in Manhattan doing Xmas shopping and I looked up and Robin Williams was walking towards me. He was like a meter away and I just blurted out 'Do you remember Fisher's Island?" - the name of the island. I suddenly felt like a Tourrettes (sp) sufferer and was slightly embarrassed - but he stopped in his tracks and a big genuine smile lit up his face, like it was a genuine happy memory.

He said "Ohhh, that was a LONG time ago!" And I explained about my grandmother and he shook my hand, wished her well and we exchanged Xmas wishes. And then he suddenly hailed a big ass limo and climbed in with a waive. And I remember thinking that he was just a class act.

BTW - I should also say that I excitedly watch GARP when it came out on video when I was like 7 and I was like "WTF Mork??". Not a kids movie . . .
    Great story. I have a friend who met him once too and has a similar story. He really seemed like a genuinely nice, gracious person, especially towards fans.

Charter JI Member
    Wow - bummer.

great story...

I have a soft spot for Garp as well, aside from being my favorite Irving book, I thought he was perfect in the role. Also there were so many scenes shot in familiar places, near the clock tower in Roslyn, his house in Eastchester, EHS, guys I'm friendly with now had roles as extras as well in the wrestling scenes and ending. To a man they say Williams was a great guy back then.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    great story...

I have a soft spot for Garp as well, aside from being my favorite Irving book, I thought he was perfect in the role. .
    Great book and movie, cannot even imagine someone else in that role. People often forget that in discussing his body of work; On the other hand, I was an usher in the Fresh Meadows movie theatre when Popeye came out...omg...teh suckage....I saw that mess 50 times.

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Great book and movie, cannot even imagine someone else in that role. People often forget that in discussing his body of work; On the other hand, I was an usher in the Fresh Meadows movie theatre when Popeye came out...omg...teh suckage....I saw that mess 50 times.
    Popeye 50 times? lol brutal

Schluberator & Gadfly
    One of his small comments that stuck with me...."Why do they call it rush hour when no one is moving?"

RIP Mrs. Doubtfire and thanks for the laughs.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Popeye 50 times? lol brutal
    If you put together all the times I had to be in the theatre to attend to ushering chores in small chunks of time..I only watched it through once and demanded a refund...even though I worked there and dint pay. Manager was a not amuse.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    If you put together all the times I had to be in the theatre to attend to ushering chores in small chunks of time..I only watched it through once and demanded a refund...even though I worked there and dint pay. Manager was a not amuse.
    How's that "Learning English with Rosetta Stone" working out for ya?!?! Or if that's broken Italian b/c you just got off the boat, my apologies dear sir.