Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: I hate to say it but there is racism going on with Geno Smith

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    10,891

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Teddy Bridgewater?
    Last edited by BX Jet Fan; 10-01-2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Is that a racist guess?

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFaninChicago View Post
    The kid may not turn out to be a great player, but the NY media is pretty much lumping into Jamarcus Russell territory which simply isn't fair.

    Why don't you go ahead and compare #1 overall pick Eli Manning's first 20 games to Geno's and get back to me.

    What's the difference?

    Eli was part of the NFL royalty and thus can do no wrong. Geno Smith was vilified by the NFL and NY media for firing his agent-yet nobody dare brought up the stunt Eli Manning pulled on his draft day.

    I was listening to Jim Rome rant on Geno Smith insinuating that he should be out of the NFL for cursing at a fan. I didn't hear anyone wanting to kick Johnny Manziel out of the league-just Johnny being Johnny.

    Kudos to you Geno-Everyone had it out for you from day one...... You may not be a great NFL QB, but I appreciate what you have had to deal with as a 2nd round pick doing his best to lead a franchise.
    It's not racism, fans need instant gratification. I think Geno is the most physically gifted athletic QB we've ever had.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post
    Maybe but he's not wrong. Luck was average statistically, but had a knack for the big moment.
    of course he's wrong. He was anointed because he was so good in college, combine, etc etc. Who was good in their 1st yr? Not the mannings, not elway, not aikman, not young, montana was ok but great in yr 2. Only marino and brady from what i remember were great in their 1st 2 years.

    However, he's using that as some kind of racism indictment. Andrew Luck is the best qb to come along since peyton. Draft wise anyway.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mianus CT
    Posts
    8,208
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFaninChicago View Post
    The kid may not turn out to be a great player, but the NY media is pretty much lumping into Jamarcus Russell territory which simply isn't fair.

    Why don't you go ahead and compare #1 overall pick Eli Manning's first 20 games to Geno's and get back to me.

    What's the difference?

    Eli was part of the NFL royalty and thus can do no wrong. Geno Smith was vilified by the NFL and NY media for firing his agent-yet nobody dare brought up the stunt Eli Manning pulled on his draft day.

    I was listening to Jim Rome rant on Geno Smith insinuating that he should be out of the NFL for cursing at a fan. I didn't hear anyone wanting to kick Johnny Manziel out of the league-just Johnny being Johnny.

    Kudos to you Geno-Everyone had it out for you from day one...... You may not be a great NFL QB, but I appreciate what you have had to deal with as a 2nd round pick doing his best to lead a franchise.

    eli was changing to a whole new offense going to the west coast offense once he figures it out you will see he is 100 times the QB geno is or ever will be.

    The only thing racist is the word racist.

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ithaca College by way of New Jersey
    Posts
    2,002
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceharper View Post
    of course he's wrong. He was anointed because he was so good in college, combine, etc etc. Who was good in their 1st yr? Not the mannings, not elway, not aikman, not young, montana was ok but great in yr 2. Only marino and brady from what i remember were great in their 1st 2 years.

    However, he's using that as some kind of racism indictment. Andrew Luck is the best qb to come along since peyton. Draft wise anyway.
    As a prospect but year 2 Luck was average but was treated like he lived up to the hype. The guy is absurd but Luck was statistically average until this season. RG3 was awesome as a rookie.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    It's not racism, fans need instant gratification. I think Geno is the most physically gifted athletic QB we've ever had.
    Actually the most physically gifted, athletic QB we've ever had is sitting on our bench now, and fans are clamoring for him. I guess they're just being racist to Geno

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,148
    So ur saying if geno was white, we would be thrilled that he is the lowest rated qb for the 2nd year in a row?

    People hated pennington and he was white. They hated sanchez and he was mexican.

    The problem here is crappy qb play not skin color.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,234
    Most Jet fans are color blind IMO.

  10. #30
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,148
    There is definitely some racism when it comes to Geno. Because of his race, people have the misconception that he is a good running QB. He is not.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,716
    Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post
    As a prospect but year 2 Luck was average but was treated like he lived up to the hype. The guy is absurd but Luck was statistically average until this season. RG3 was awesome as a rookie.
    If you're only looking at the numbers, you miss what was great about Luck right from the start.

    I love Teddy Bridgewater and think he was one of the more pro-ready QBs to come along in a while. He had a great game on Sunday, but if you go back and watch the game, you can see how the Vikings were protecting him. The gameplan was run heavy and everything in the passing game was very simple: quick hitters and screens, lots of shotgun, etc. He executed it all very well because he's probably already capable of more than that, but he's still going to need things to be scaled back this year.

    Now go watch Luck's first game against the Bears. It's like night and day. 5 and 7 step drops from under center, empty backfield sets, 45 pass attempts, and playing with NO running game and a bad offensive line. He threw 3 INTs, but that's not what the takeaway was. Here was a rookie QB that was already trusted to do more than all but 5 or so QBs in the league. Pass attempts from Luck's first 5 games: 45, 31, 46, 55, 44. And again, they had no running game and were terrible in pass protection. That didn't stop Arians from throwing it a lot and throwing it down the field, because he thought the rookie could handle it, and he was right. Looking at the targets from his first 2 years, he may have even been instructed to avoid checkdowns if at all possible. RBs were targeted only 50 times all year. That number increased to 109 in his 2nd year, after Arians left. Last year, he spent more than half the year with Darius Heywary-Bey or Griff Whalen as the #2 receiver and was missing his starting TE for its entirety (while continuing to get almost no support from the running game; Donald Brown averaged 5+ypc but only had 3 games with more than 50 yards and never had more than 80; meanwhile lead-back Trent Richardson averaged 2.9 ypc).

    I never had much luck explaining that to the people who kept telling me Luck was overrated for the last 2 years, though.

  12. #32
    Moderator VIP Visionary
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,179
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFaninChicago View Post
    Nope?

    Eli was given the benefit of the doubt....

    Geno?? Just another Black QB.... Lets face it.. That is the sentiment.

    Take a look at how Luck was portrayed compared to Wilson (before he won the SB) and RG3.
    Your point has been addressed. I'm closing this thread. Now you're opening it up to racism in the NFL; as if Geno's troubles have to do with racism in the League.

    Geno is not getting it done; he has a hang dog look about him. But that's be cause he's black? wtf?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us