Thread: 2015 Mets

All Pro

2015 Mets

2014 is done, on to 2015!

Michael Cuddyer signs 2 yr deal with Mets:

http://m.mets.mlb.com/news/article/1...deal-with-mets

Cuddyer turned down a $15.3 million qualifying offer from the Rockies before Monday's 5 p.m. ET deadline to sign a two-year deal with the Mets. That means Colorado will receive a compensation pick between the first and second rounds of the 2015 First-Year Player Draft, and the Mets will lose the 15th pick in the Draft, as well as the Draft bonus money associated with that slot.
    Not a bad signing. Reasonable length of time for a 35 yr old. He can play both corner OF spots and back up Duda at first if need be.

Yes I like the signing. GO get a shortstop (tulo-dream, castro or ramirez). Get another lefty out of the pen and power bat for the bench.

Not bad if healthy, but hes never healthy. Also lost the 15th pic in the draft, smarter pkay is someone like Mike Morse, but I guess it makes David Wright happy.

Even as a Yankee fan, I'm excited to see all young starters the Mets will be throwing out there. If the Royals can get to the world series, no reason the Mets cant compete in todays MLB.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden 2.0; 11-12-2014 at 12:03 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden 2.0 View Post
    Not bad if healthy, but hes never healthy. Also lost the 15th pic in the draft, smarter pkay is someone like Mike Morse, but I guess it makes David Wright happy.

Even as a Yankee fan, I'm excited to see all young starters the Mets will be throwing out there. If the Royals can get to the world series, no reason the Mets cant compete in todays MLB.
    I guess Mike Morse wouldnt require losing a draft pick, but you cant really bring up health and then mention Mike Morse... knee surgery, wrist surgery, strained oblique, etc.

Cuddyer has played in 130+ games 4 of the last 6 seasons and he's a year removed from a silver slugger and .331 BA.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by WoptasticJets View Post
    GO get a shortstop (tulo-dream, castro or ramirez).
    I agree, im just pessimistic that the Mets and Cubs could get on the same page. Tulo maybe if you're willing to give up young pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    I guess Mike Morse wouldnt require losing a draft pick, but you cant really bring up health and then mention Mike Morse... knee surgery, wrist surgery, strained oblique, etc.

Cuddyer has played in 130+ games 4 of the last 6 seasons and he's a year removed from a silver slugger and .331 BA.
    Goodpoint on Morse injuries, i admit i wasnt aware of his history. Cuddyer tho never hit above .280 prior to going to Coors field, so obviously those numbers dont mean much going to Citi Field.

Hall Of Fame
    there must be another big splash coming. i dont see them losing the 15th pick for a guy like Cuddyer. if they sign another big name FA, this becomes a third rounder i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    there must be another big splash coming. i dont see them losing the 15th pick for a guy like Cuddyer. if they sign another big name FA, this becomes a third rounder i believe.
    Max Scherzer, Victor Martinez, Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval, James Shields, Russell Martin, Nelson Cruz, David Robertson, Ervin Santana, Francisco Liriano, Melky Cabrera.

Who fits? You dont need SPer or a catcher, and after signing Cuddyer, you wont sign an OFer. That Leaves David Robertson and Hanley Ramirez. I dont seen Hanley signing with anyone who think hes a SS and not a 3B, so frankly DAvid Robertson is the only guy that fits the criteria you discussed above.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Max Scherzer, Victor Martinez, Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval, James Shields, Russell Martin, Nelson Cruz, David Robertson, Ervin Santana, Francisco Liriano, Melky Cabrera.

Who fits? You dont need SPer or a catcher, and after signing Cuddyer, you wont sign an OFer. That Leaves David Robertson and Hanley Ramirez. I dont seen Hanley signing with anyone who think hes a SS and not a 3B, so frankly DAvid Robertson is the only guy that fits the criteria you discussed above.
    That's why its a bad deal. Wilpon can fool some into thinking he spent for a bat. Its ONE bat, and not so impressive even if we overpaid. Now we all know there's no more coming. You have Grandy, Cuddy, Lagares, and then Duda from positions you expect the most pop. The OPs don't have much to worry about.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    That's why its a bad deal. Wilpon can fool some into thinking he spent for a bat. Its ONE bat, and not so impressive even if we overpaid. Now we all know there's no more coming. You have Grandy, Cuddy, Lagares, and then Duda from positions you expect the most pop. The OPs don't have much to worry about.
    I agree. Hard to get too excited about a 35 year old outfielder moving from Coors Field who has missed significant time to injury in two of the last three seasons. Is he an upgrade over we had last year, yes. Will he be a real difference maker - I hope so, but I just don't see it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I agree. Hard to get too excited about a 35 year old outfielder moving from Coors Field who has missed significant time to injury in two of the last three seasons. Is he an upgrade over we had last year, yes. Will he be a real difference maker - I hope so, but I just don't see it.
    Batted around 290 on the road for the Rockies with power.

Should be a defensive improvement by moving Grandy Man's arm to LF.

Reasonable ST contract

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Batted around 290 on the road for the Rockies with power.

Should be a defensive improvement by moving Grandy Man's arm to LF.

Reasonable ST contract
    If he is healthy and can hit .280+ with some pop and play 130+ games each of the next two years-- then it is a good move. With his injury history and age, I am skeptical, but I am going to hope for the best.

All Pro

As for the draft pick, sure, picks are good. But, and check out this link, the 15th pick on average certainly doesnt return a future star. For every Chase Utley theres a Gabe Gross.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...d-pick-worth-2

Victor Martinez was never an option for an NL team with a 1Bman already who cant play OF, nor Sandoval. Id have signed Cruz last year, and said as much, but I get the feeling someone will give him a yr or two too many and more dollars than is realistic with his age and injury history. I like Cabrera too, but can understand why, like Cruz, they might stay away. Other than those two, Cruz and Cabrera, what OF are you signing?

We'll see what happens; its a long time from now until ST. If they do wind up moving some of the young pitching for an impact SS, they may very well be in the market for a SP.

Sounds like folks are more annoyed that the Wilpons aren't spending MORE money on a better player, and I get that. If Cuddyer hits .280 and plays 130+ in the OF and 1B, for what they're paying him, I dont think its outrageous. They certainly didnt overpay in my opinion. Again, we'll see if there's a bigger plan to unfold.

David Schoenfield makes a good case here: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...er-to-the-mets

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    As for the draft pick, sure, picks are good. But, and check out this link, the 15th pick on average certainly doesnt return a future star. For every Chase Utley theres a Gabe Gross.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...d-pick-worth-2

Victor Martinez was never an option for an NL team with a 1Bman already who cant play OF, nor Sandoval. Id have signed Cruz last year, and said as much, but I get the feeling someone will give him a yr or two too many and more dollars than is realistic with his age and injury history. I like Cabrera too, but can understand why, like Cruz, they might stay away. Other than those two, Cruz and Cabrera, what OF are you signing?

We'll see what happens; its a long time from now until ST. If they do wind up moving some of the young pitching for an impact SS, they may very well be in the market for a SP.

Sounds like folks are more annoyed that the Wilpons aren't spending MORE money on a better player, and I get that. If Cuddyer hits .280 and plays 130+ in the OF and 1B, for what they're paying him, I dont think its outrageous. They certainly didnt overpay in my opinion. Again, we'll see if there's a bigger plan to unfold.

David Schoenfield makes a good case here: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...er-to-the-mets
    i think this looking at past players who went 15th is bogus, has the draft not helped the mets rebuild this team?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden 2.0; 11-14-2014 at 04:24 PM.

I'm optimistic, told my kids it's starting to feel like the early '80s again.
    Terry said they will make the playoffs. I hope he is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who thinks this is a bad signing is either a Yankee fan who hates the mets or a just a complete moron. Cuddyer isn't being brought in to be the guy he is another professional bat for that lineup who has hit high avg his entire career, his health issues are not reoccurring problems. For 10 million a year its a great deal even if it cost the draft pick. THe mets have 1 of the best minor league systems in the majors and now its time to fix this major league roster. Go get a hitting ss via trade and a power bat off the bench and the mets barring injuries should be a playoff team.