Thread: Hard feelings reach Jets' coaches, players

All League
    Great article...

Hard feelings reach Jets' coaches, players
    By Vic Carucci
    National Editor, NFL.com

(April 9, 2003) -- You have to give Washington Redskins coach Steve Spurrier credit for trying to defuse the increasingly combustible relationship between his team and the New York Jets.

I don't think it will make a bit of difference, but I admire the effort.

"If there's any ill will or bad feeling between the Jets and the Redskins, I don't think it's on the coaching level or the player level," Spurrier told reporters in Ashburn, Va., as the latest former Jet, kick returner-running back Chad Morton, was introduced as the newest member of the Redskins.

With all due respect to Spurrier's many years in football as a player and coach, I have to disagree with his assertion that "ill will" or "bad feeling" could somehow ever steer clear of the men who coach and play the game.

Regardless of the origin of any acrimony between two NFL teams, it always finds its way down to the field. How could it not? The coaches and players are the ones who have the greatest say in the outcome, and they're the ones who would be motivated by whatever circumstances create a backdrop of friction.

In this case, the Jets are obviously fuming over the fact the Redskins seemingly targeted their roster in perhaps the most aggressive offseason shopping spree in the history of the league. Before an arbitrator awarded Morton to the Redskins on April 7 after ruling the Jets did not fully match Washington's five-year, $8 million offer to the restricted free agent, Spurrier's club already had acquired Jets offensive guard Randy Thomas, receiver Laveranues Coles, and kicker John Hall.

Thomas, Coles and Morton will be particularly hard to replace. Their departures could very well prevent the Jets from building on the incredibly strong finish that carried them from a likely also-ran to the divisional round of the playoffs.

Nevertheless, the Jets must push forward. And on Sept. 4, they are due to be in Washington to face the Redskins in a prime-time, nationally televised season opener that now has an even juicier subplot than the conference-championship rematches also scheduled for Week 1.

As much as Steve Spurrier is trying to put a lid on things, animosity could run high Sept. 4.

Spurrier tried to suggest whatever bitterness that might emanate from the New York-to-Washington free-agency shuttle is confined to "management-level people." Although it stands to reason Jets management wouldn't be pleased with what has transpired since the start of the free-agency period, it's impossible to believe coach Herman Edwards, his assistant coaches and his players are immune to such hard feelings.

Put it this way: In the days leading up to the Redskins-Jets opener, there seems little doubt the subject of Thomas/Coles/Morton/Hall will come up in a few conversations in the New York locker room. And I'm not referring only to those initiated by reporters, or even the ones sparked by the countless words and pictures the topic will generate in newspapers, and on the Internet, television and radio.

Publicly, Edwards and his troops likely will insist losing Thomas, Coles, Morton and Hall to the Redskins has absolutely no bearing on the game, and they aren't allowing it to become a distraction. They will dismiss it as an overblown issue that has been manufactured by the media.

It is a familiar script coaches and players have followed forever. Bad blood? What bad blood?

But the truth is, any high-profile issue involving even a single player or coach on either sideline ultimately finds its way into the motivational pool all competitors strive to keep filled to the top.

Something tells me come September, those four transactions will still be mentioned in meetings and other private discussions at the Jets' training complex. Something tells me, after simmering through the next several months, they will reach a boil in that final week of preparation.

And on game day, with millions of people watching throughout the country, the Jets' coaches and players will do everything in their power to try and settle a score on the scoreboard.

Rookie
    THE JETS ARE GONNA MAKE A STATEMENT ON SEPT 4th FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE!!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by rmeyer52@Apr 10 2003, 09:34 AM
    And on game day, with millions of people watching throughout the country, the Jets' coaches and players will do everything in their power to try and settle a score on the scoreboard.
    And we will do just that..................

Hall Of Fame
    there is too much BS concerning how good those players really are. Thomas never made the ProBowl because he does not move the pile! Morton will wear down and not be effective as a KR if he carries the ball 20 times a game. Hall has been sinking for 2 years now and Coles was made by CHAD! With Vinny at the helm COLES was merely ordinary! Lets stop the bull and beat the DEADSKINS on opening night. They are a little better then an ARENA League team! No QB, an old Oline, no running game, and a slow defense!

Veteran
    If Vinny had Jerry Rice, Keyshawn, Coles and Randy Moss in a four set against the Bengals Defence blind folded.... he could make them look ordinary!

Banned
    Our First mission...

DEFEAT THE REDSKINS AND MAKE THEM OUR B!TCHE$!!!!!!&#33 ;

LL

F Snyder!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Kentucky Jet@Apr 10 2003, 02:35 PM
    there is too much BS concerning how good those players really are. Thomas never made the ProBowl because he does not move the pile! Morton will wear down and not be effective as a KR if he carries the ball 20 times a game. Hall has been sinking for 2 years now and Coles was made by CHAD! With Vinny at the helm COLES was merely ordinary! Lets stop the bull and beat the DEADSKINS on opening night. They are a little better then an ARENA League team! No QB, an old Oline, no running game, and a slow defense!
    I don't care if the Jets replace them with 4 people from this board, so long as the production doesn't fall off. And now that my blood pressure has returned to normal and I can see things clearly again I don't think it will. I just don't like the way the Jets FO looked after this.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    one thing you know for sure - Herm will have that locker room POPPIN right before kickoff -

Veteran
    I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Originally posted by bitonti@Apr 10 2003, 11:51 AM
    one thing you know for sure - Herm will have that locker room POPPIN right before kickoff -
    Yes Bitonti - poppin stackers, gorilla biscuts, yellow jacks, black beauties...the list is probably endless! :lol:

Veteran
    The Jets will circumcise the foreskins!!!

All League
    As much as Steve Spurrier is trying to put a lid on things, animosity could run high Sept. 4.

Spurrier tried to suggest whatever bitterness that might emanate from the New York-to-Washington free-agency shuttle is confined to "management-level people." Although it stands to reason Jets management wouldn't be pleased with what has transpired since the start of the free-agency period, it's impossible to believe coach Herman Edwards, his assistant coaches and his players are immune to such hard feelings.
    Riiiigh! This is the same man who had the nerve to ask "I wonder how the JETS are feeling right now?" in the snottiest of terms in front of the NATIONAL MEDIA!

"Immune to such hard feelings?" Hello, I think the writer from NFL.Com does not have a clue. Not only is everyone in the organization peeved at the
    Redskins. Every Jets fan in NY & NJ not only want to go to <span style='color:red'>Washington for the opener, they want to travel to Bergen County later this season when the</span> Giants Play the Skins - Just to yell at the Redskins boosters that live in Bergen&#33;

Congratulations Slick Danny,
    You&#39;ve given the JETS/GIANTS fans something they&#39;ve never had before "UNITY&#33;"

All League
    If its me, I call the dogs out for Washington. Spurrier is an ex college coach, so it won&#39;t be out of the ordinary for him to see an extremely lopsided score.

Special teams job? NAIL CHAD MORTON TO THE TURF&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; John Hall likes to go down and try and tackle on kickoffs... someones job should be to blindside him every time he kicks the ball off. Only thing here is that if he is kicking off, the Skins have to score. I don&#39;t mind as long as it is all field goals.

Defenses job? MAKE CHAD MORTON REGRET STANDING BEHIND A QB AND THINKING HE IS BARRY SANDERS. Even Barry carried more weight than Chad, but Barry was gifted. Chad is not a 20 carry per game back. He is not as stocky as Tiki, not as crafty as Barry, and not as powerful as little Joe Morris used to be. These guys were small, but they are all short stocky guys... Chad ain&#39;t stocky and can not handle the hits of 300+lb linemen bearing down on him several downs within a game.

Coles???? Lay wood to him to&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;