Thread: Boss Bailey-vs-Adam Archuleta

Banned
    Q: Are any teams talking about switching LB Boss Bailey to safety in the pros (a la Adam Archuleta)? 6-foot-3, 230 pounds and 4.4 speed? No receiver in his right mind would want to go over the middle. What do you think, Mel? -- Kyle, Minneapolis, Minn.

KIPER -- Archuleta moved from linebacker to safety, but he's basically utilized as a linebacker in the St. Louis Rams' defensive scheme.
    There's a huge difference between Archuleta and Bailey, though. Archuleta is a great tackler, while Bailey is a questionable tackler. It's like a night-and-day comparison. Bailey is faster, jumps higher and is a better athlete (4.38 in the 40 at 6-3 and 233 pounds, with a 46-inch vertical). But Archuleta is a better football player.

If Bailey wants to become a great NFL player, he's got to tackle better than he did at Georgia

Veteran
    People have been talking about Bailey's tackling. Don't you think tackling can be taught in camp? Spped and Size can't be taught- and Bailey has that. Bailey at 13.

Veteran
    IMO - Tackling can be taught, and Bailey is a student of the game. What you can't teach is 4.38 speed with a 46 inch vertical! His freakish athletic ability, his tremendous potential, along with the depth at DL in this draft make him our #13 pick!

And to those he say he's got bum knees; two members on this board have actually watched Boss play at Georgia and both have said he has played BETTER after his surgey. Hey, the first round has proven to be a 50/50 shot anyway! The Jets have a chance for a Derrick Brooks type player. I look for him to be our nickel back LB/special teams/ FG unit (defensive) this year, and taking over Mo's position next year.

Banned
    I agree tackling can be taught but do you really want to draft a guy at 13 and still have to teach him how to tackle?If im going to draft a LB he damn sure better know how to tackle.Mel tell's you plain and simple he's more of an athlete and less of a football player.

13 is to high for him in my opinion but at 22 hes worth the a shot.

My point of this thread is at 13 i want an a solid all around guy.Not someone who needs to be taught the basics of his position.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Boss Bailey had 114 tackles and 6 sacks last year at Georgia on the strongside. Just imagine if he could "tackle". He might have had 200 tackles.

It's not Boss Bailey vs Adam Archuleta, it's Boss Bailey vs Brian Urlacher. That's a better comparison.

The so called experts are off the mark when talking about Bailey's tackling skills. He had one bad game in his career where he missed 4 tackles and now all of a sudden, he doesn't know how to play The LB position.

Veteran
    Tackling can be taught just like major knee surgery, and Bailey knows all about that.

Banned
    Originally posted by PhillyJetsPhanatic@Apr 22 2003, 03:40 AM
    People have been talking about Bailey's tackling. Don't you think tackling can be taught in camp? Spped and Size can't be taught- and Bailey has that. Bailey at 13.
    When you are drafting a guy in the middle of the first round, one of the basic fundamentals of the game should not have to be taught. Scheme? Sure... How to TACKLE? no. That's like teaching someone how to throw in baseball.

All Pro
    Originally posted by PhillyJetsPhanatic@Apr 22 2003, 02:40 AM
    If tackling is so easyto teach, why do the Jet L/B still arm tackle? After all these years (Jones and Lewis) still do a lot of "wrong" tackling.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Tackling CANNOT be taught- the fundamental techniques can be taught, (breakdown, explode, wrap-up) but the desire to bury your head into some guy's sterum CANNOT BE TAUGHT - either guys have it or they don't. The reason why Brian Urlacher and Ray Lewis are so dominent is not just because of their superior vertical leaps and short shuttle times. Its when some 340 pound guard is bearing down, they don't use their quickness to try and run around the traffic (as BOSS clearly does) - no no no my friends, they EXPLODE into the guy's chest, discard the blocker and then BURY the ball carrier - its snot bubble city. Boss may have had 114 tackles but he played with ALOT of talent around him and many say he missed 8-10 stops in certain games. (not just 4, YJF) - Yeah yeah i know "it was his athleticism that got him there for the CHANCE to make the play" - that and a token will get you on the A-Train. His an interesting prospect at 22 but no way before hand.

Also Elio no matter how great he played AFTER the surgery the bottom line is that he requires season ending surgery every 2 years and his knees look like a road map. Does anyone really think he will make it through his career without another injury to those knees? he's been injured as recently as the 2002 Miss St game. 2 rebuild knees are all well and good if the guy is all-pro but ROOKIES should relatively healthy. One more injury and he's Jamal Anderson - or worse, Grant Hill.

Id rather take Dennis Weathersby and he's been shot in the back.

just say no to BUST BAILEY

Veteran
    Bitonti,

You make an eloquent argument about his tackling, but if you look as some of Boss's game film, he's quite an explosive tackler. Playing on top of the TE at SSLB he didn't see that many guards anyways. That's not his position. MLBS that run the gap see them. At OLB, Bailey will see a lot of TE blocks and a few pulling guards where his speed will get him right through blocks.

His knees are fine. He's played on them for two years and is still putting up the numbers that he did.

Bailey at 13!!

Waterboy
    90 percent of the NFL players dont tackle anyway.
    Most launch themselves, head down, like a missile and
    never even see the guy they wish to tackle.

Waterboy
    I am a supporter of drafting Bailey but lets not go throwing out comparisons to Derrick Brroks and Brian Urlacher jus yet.

To begin with....Brooks is 6' even but the same weight as Bailey and Bailey's extra 3" makes that a HUGE difference in size.

Second, Urlacher was switched from SS to MLB when he was drafted and he is 6'4" but weighs 254 and again, that is a HUGE difference.

I am against the Bailey naysayers but I am also very hesitant about his size and would not doubt that his lack of size plays a part in his "missed" tackles.

If he picks up size, he will lose some speed and I would be more hesitant about his knees with an additional 20-30 pounds of girth added to his frame.

Truth is as much as I love the thought about drafting Bailey, I have changed my overall opinion and unless he falls to #22 (which I doubt he will), I do not see us drafting him with the 13th pick. Consensus seems to be that we will definitely go DT with the first pick even if we are forced to move up to get one.

Bailey is probably much more suited to play SS than LB due to his size. He could play LB well at the college level with his current size but I do not think it will transition well to the NFL level at LB. He would be a great coverage LB but that is not the only purpose to LB (as you are all well aware of) and I am not sure of his ability to stop bigger RB's with his size. Especially not if they are going full speed at him, that is when his size will become a liability.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Its all about athleticism in todays game. Thats why you see all these athletic QBs that "dont fit the NFL mold", ripping Defenses apart!

All in all I think it will be a good day.
    I will be happy with bailey at #13 and i will be real happy to trade up and grab Robertson or another stud DT, if we go WR by moving up it better be Johnson.

Veteran
    I'll be happy once satruday rolls around... i'm tired of mock drafts aand speculations...