Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palantonio's on Chad

Rookie
    Anyone hear Sal Palantonio's opinion on Chad's upcoming year(ESPN radio)? He said that Coles made Chad and that this upcoming year will be dissapointing for Chad and the Jets. Without Coles, Chad isn't the same QB. It's a good point but I hope he is wrong. I love the kid . (God.....I hope he is wrong)
    Hopefully he can develop the same synergy with someone else (Conway) on the team.

All Pro
    Sal's a real prick, he showed up to play B-ball at my gym, and everyone wanted to smack him.

BTW, did he mention how many catches Coles had per game with Vinny in there? Let's see how he does with Ramsey's ducks.

Rookie
    Originally posted by Bloodflowsgreen@Apr 28 2003, 11:28 AM
    Anyone hear Sal Palantonio's opinion on Chad's upcoming year(ESPN radio)? He said that Coles made Chad and that this upcoming year will be dissapointing for Chad and the Jets. Without Coles, Chad isn't the same QB. It's a good point but I hope he is wrong. I love the kid . (God.....I hope he is wrong)
    Hopefully he can develop the same synergy with someone else (Conway) on the team.
    Palantonio is right about as often as a broken clock(not twice a day, 2 seconds out of 86,400 seconds in a day) If Coles was such a brilliant WR, why did he disappear against Oakland. I liked Coles and will miss him, but come on. Sal is probably still pissed at the Jets for getting his as# handed to him by Parcells a few years ago. He can go back to Philly and stay with the rest of his "Second Class City" buddies.

All League
    this is the big question going into 2003

can chad do it without a legitimate #1 wideout. please conway is not a #1 wr!

i think Chad can do it. If Chad does not come thru, it will get real ugly

All League
    He said Lav Coles MADE Chad?

All Pro
    Originally posted by Bloodflowsgreen@Apr 28 2003, 11:28 AM
    I heard him on ESPN radio yesterday. He had a bunch of opinions that made no sence. The only one that did was the one on Willis Mc. , that Buffalo is not the place for him - rock hard surface, even the practice facility, very cold weather, etc.

Otherwise this guy was completely off the wall with his comments. It was like listening to some scratchy old LP, and then finding out the music was horrible anyway.

Veteran
    There is a bit of truth to it. We all know it.

Rookie
    I love Chad but you cannot deny that Coles made his year. They had incredible synergy. In fact, because of it, Wayne was ignored on many plays and caught much less balls. We all know that.
    I also think it is ridiculous to bash Coles now that he is gone. He was great and will get better with the right system. (not with the foreskins).

This year will be a huge test for Chad. He will have to prove that his synergy with LC wasn't unique and that he truly does have poor talent.

BTW, Coles was shut down in the Oakland game because he was in Double coverage and Chad was seriously rattled. However, I don't knock him for that, it was his first huge game on the road. Thank god it's behind him. This year will hopefully be diff.

Rookie
    I meant pure talent in my last post, not poor.

TomShane
    You know what's bizarre to watch at draft time?

All of these little punkass sports writers cowering in fear because they're so totally wiped out by John Clayton, Chris Mortensen and Mel Kiper. They get so rattled, guys like Paolantonio, Len Pasquarelli, 99% of the local media, Sean Salisbury, Serby, et. al, that they have to make bull**** up just to get their worthless mugs on the air.

This is a direct result of the established, credible guys having REAL sources and because the Junior League of Sportswriting Idiots can't rely on their waterboy/trainer's assistant/office secretary for any "hot leads."

All League
    Originally posted by Jman21@Apr 28 2003, 11:34 AM
    There is a bit of truth to it. We all know it.
    Jman1, with all due respect, there is not a bit of truth to that.

Pennington was once accused of being made by randy Moss at Marshall. I was naive enough to have semi bought into that one. Moss is a rare talent, and to the casual onlooker it APPEARED the style of O at Marshall was very QB friendly.

But since then, I think we have all seen CP is the type of QB who makes a receiver, not vice versa. He makes a receiver by quickly reading a D and putting the ball in a myraid of places, by making a WO's job as simple as can be made, by eshibitng sterling leadershp, and by mentoring, taking extra time to work with a WO as he did BOTh Lav and Wayne last year,

Coles is a very solid receiver and will get better. But he was not a Rice, nor even a Keyshawn Johnson. He is not yet so polished he can be said to have made anyone.

later

Hall Of Fame
    Gee, all the while I have been saying that CHAD made COLES! Like most media wackos, who cares what they think? no one wanted JOE KLECKO coming out of TEMPLE and he did OK. Sal did not like that pick. CHAD and CONWAY will be very good!

Hall Of Fame
    i think coles summed it up best when asked what he would miss most about the jets: "my quarterback, that's about it."

let's also remember that randy moss also said that pennington was the best qb he's played with, and that was after he had played with some pretty good minnesota qbs.

Practice Squad
    Everyone hear knows Coles was a good receiver, nobody can deny that. For Sal to say that Chad will struggle because Conway is not good is stupid. San Diego had Conway and Dwight last year. Conway was there #1. Does anyone know who their third receiver was. I don't. Now we have Conway. Moss + Chrebet = much better production combined than just Dwight. Plus we are gonna get another receiver Sal, you idiot. Chad likes to spread the ball around. The WCO is designed that way. AS for the chemistry argue, it's way overated. I have no doubt Chad is smart enough to work on the chemistry part with our receivers where we won't miss a beat. Bank on it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Ask Randy Moss who made him

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That's one of the more ignorant statements I've heard.

Sure Coles had chemsistry with Chad that helped them both, but how does a WR "make" a QB, especially in a QB-driven offense? Doesn't the QB need to deliver the guy the ball? Coles had a great season, but were half of his catches adjustments made on balls way off the mark, or were they on the money from the most accurate QB in the NFL?

I honestly can hardly think of ANY examples where a great WR has ever made a QB; but I can think of countless where the QB made the WR (Pro Bowler Antonio Freeman anyone?).

Also, looking at season stats + playoffs, we see that Coles caught 30% of Chad's balls and the remaining 200+ receptions were distributed elsewhere. What did Sal have to say about that?

TomShane
    "Michael, you don' understand! I MADE Chad and they wouldn't even give me no 13 million dollars. What was I suppoosed to do? Huh? Huh?"

Practice Squad
    LOL LOL That was funny.

Rookie
    Thats classic!!!!!!!!&#3 3;!!!!!!!!!&#3 3;

Veteran
    I think, like all good tandems, they made each other. Trub is going to have a good career in Washington. Pamsey is a calpable QB qith a cannon arm that will utilize Coles speed a lot more than slant and fades that we ran here in NY.

That being said, Coles will not be a dark horse any more. Cb's will be marking him and blanketing him with double teams. Pennington had the moxy and the accuracy anto find the seam. He'll miss that.