Thread: Dewayne Robertson's PreDraft Diaries I-V

JetsInsider.com Legend
    these predraft diaries DR kept for CBSSPORTSLINE was when many, myself included, first became impressed with this young man.

http://old.sportsline.com/u/ce/feature/0,1...7467_59,00.html
    ______
    PART I

I could have decided to go back to Kentucky, but I was just ready to move on. How did I know? I was just ready, man.

Each year in the SEC, I told myself I had to get better. If I didn't get better last year, then I would have gone back to school. But I did, which is why I decided to leave.

I was prepared to go. My position coach, Tommy Adams, did a great job of getting me ready to play. It really wasn't a hard decision.

One thing I've learned through this process is that with something like this, your decision has to be solid. It can't be that you go back and forth between staying and going. You have to be solid in one of them. I made the decision and I was solid about it. There was no wavering.

My family has been supportive of the decision. But they did make one condition. My pops told me that if I leave early, I had to go back and get my degree. It wasn't like he was telling me I should. He said I would. I'm about four semesters away from my degree in kinesics. I will definitely go back and finish.

I am not in school now, since I am getting ready for the draft. I am working out in Atlanta. As far as missing anything, I've been too busy for that. I'm working out every day in the morning, then doing some more cardio work later in the day.

I'm not playing for the school anymore. I'm playing for myself. My body is my machine. I have to make sure it's in top shape.

This past weekend, I've had a little fun with my people. They came down for the NBA All-Star weekend. But on Monday, it's back to work. You can't get relaxed. It's a business now.

It's different now that I am on my way to the league. My family still treats me the same, like I'm just Dewayne. But other people who know I'm headed to the league might act differently. That's why my high school coach warned me about the new "friends" that come around. They all might want something.

You have to be ready for that stuff. I've been well trained. I know that I am a professional athlete now, and you have to be ready for all that comes with it.

PART II

It's combine week, and I'm excited. I'm ready to get this all going. The combine is the beginning.

I've talked to a lot of people about what to expect. I'm prepared for it. I know what I have to do. I'm ready for this process to begin. I've been working out every day with a bunch of guys in Atlanta under the direction of Chip Smith.

We do an hour and a half of running in the morning, and then we do an hour and half of lifting. We do that every day. I had a pretty good workout last week when we got timed. They timed me in the 40 in the low 4.8s. I knew I could run that fast. That's pretty fast, I guess. But to me it was no big deal.

A lot of scouts will want to see if a guy my size (315) pounds can run that fast. I've always been able to do that. I guess it will help.

I'm still not sure why they put such an emphasis on the 40. You don't run 40 yards every play. The most important thing for a player at my position is the first 10-15 yards. That's what I cover most of the time, being a defensive lineman. You have to be quick off the ball.

Even though I had that good 40 time, I don't think I'm going to run at the combine. I'll do that later. I do plan to do my position drills. I'm not going to lift. I'm really pumped about the stuff I will do. I want to show how well I can move for a man as big as I am.

I know there will be a lot of medical stuff. I had an ankle injury last year, but it's fine now. I know they'll all look it. But that's OK. You wouldn't want to invest that much money in somebody without pulling and yanking on everything.

I also know there are a lot of tests they give. I heard about a couple of them. One of my high school teammates, Kindal Moorehead, a defensive end from Alabama, took some of them at the Senior Bowl. He told me if the Chicago Bears try to get me, I should run. Their test is long.

It's all part of the process, so we just have to deal with it. If you want to get drafted in the NFL, you have to follow their rules. It's no big deal, really. Actually, I'm kind of excited. This is what you play for, the chance to be in the NFL.

The combine is the first step, and I'm more than ready to take it.

PART III

I decided not to work out at the combine because I had a little bit of a cold. I had planned to do some of the drills, but I wanted to be 100 percent when I did it. The cold made me feel a little sluggish, so I decided not to work out. I wasn't going to run or lift, even if I didn't have the cold.

The first night at the combine you sit down for interviews with the teams. They want to know about you as a person. Some teams have four or five guys talking to you at the same time. Others just have the position coach and maybe one other guy.

The idea is to get to know you as a person. It's kind of informal, just guys talking. But some teams get a little more detailed. The Browns asked me what I've done in my life that has inspired others. I don't know what they wanted by asking that. I didn't know really what to say.

The next day, first thing in the morning, they give you a drug test. For whatever reason, maybe it was because of the cold, I couldn't give them anything. It took me drinking three bottles of water to get them what they wanted. Finally, I gave them enough.

Then they measure and weigh you. I was 6-1 and 317 pounds. My agent said I was taller than expected, which will help. I always thought I was taller than that, though. The weight is good. I thought I'd be at 315 or so, but maybe the water I drank made me heavier.

After that it was the medical stuff, which was interesting. You get poked and prodded by all these doctors. They want to check everything. They X-ray stuff. They took a little extra time with my shoulder, but I don't know why that was. I had an old injury there, but it's no big deal.

That night it's more interviews and then a night's sleep. And then we are supposed to work out on the third day. The cold stopped me from doing anything. I will do it all at my Pro Day on March 12 at Kentucky. That gives me a few more weeks to get even better.

I'm excited about the chance to show the pro scouts what I can do. I hope I impressed them at the combine.

It was an interesting week, to say the least. I was looking forward to it, and it was everything they said it would be. It's just something you have to do on the way to the NFL.

PART IV
    Monday, March 3

Since the combine, I've been getting ready for my Pro Day. It's next Wednesday (March 12) at Kentucky. I know it's the important day for me.

I've continued on the same workout schedule, readying to do everything the teams want me to do next week when I work out.

I didn't do anything at the combine, but I feel I am ready for the Pro Day. We've been working on my 40 times. I'll get timed again this Thursday just to know what I'm capable of doing. I think I can do anything from the low 4.8s to a high 4.7.

Other than working out, I've been taking it easy. I've been down here in Atlanta for two months now working out, so I'm ready for that Pro Day.

I've been living in a hotel since I got here to Atlanta. I was in one hotel for a while, but I switched to another one just to change up. It would have felt like prison coming back to the same little room every day for four months. That's why I switched.

I've been in this hotel for the past three weeks. It has a kitchen with a refrigerator and a microwave. I am warming up some broccoli and cheese soup right now as I talk to you.

I don't really have a problem living out of a hotel. I can sleep anywhere. I can sleep on the floor and be all right. I do have a bed here, though.

Since I am trying to stay at the same weight, I have to be careful with what I eat, which can be tough sometimes staying in a hotel. I try not to eat fast food, and when I do, I eat a chicken breast sandwich without the bread. I eat a lot of salads. Sometimes we cook in the room.

You can feel cooped up at times in the hotel, and when I do, I have to get out. One of my teammates at Kentucky was Falcons receiver Quentin McCord. So, sometimes I get out of here and go see him. Sometimes you just get tired of looking at the same room. You have to see somebody. I don't stay long, but it's just to get out of the room.

Since my room is one of those extended-stay hotels, I don't get maid service every day. They come once a week. So I can't just leave the towels on the floor and the bed a mess. It's not like a regular hotel.

It's all part of getting ready for the draft. It's still almost two months away, but right now the focus is on the Pro Day. That's the most important thing for me right now. I have to be ready, and I plan to be for all those teams that will be there to watch.

PART V
    Wednesday, March 12

I waited a long time for my Pro Day, which was Wednesday at the University of Kentucky. It was show time, and I was ready for it.

I was surprised by how many teams were there to watch. I talked to the Jaguars for a long time. That's a good thing, I guess, since they have the eighth pick in the first round. Two of their coaches interviewed me. I guess they didn't get me at the combine.

I was measured at 6-1 3/8 and weighed 324 pounds. That weight was a little high. I think it's because I tried to load up on the carbs the night before to have energy for the workout. I ate some pasta and bread. I hadn't been eating much of that. I want to play at 315.

Even though I was a little heavy, I ran pretty well. I was timed at 4.83 and 4.84 in the forty. I thought I'd do a little better. I had been running in the low 4.7s at the track where I work out in Atlanta. Maybe my slower time was because of the different track.

I benched pressed 225 30 times, which is about average for me. The most I've done is 33, so I guess that was OK. My agent said there were a lot of teams that came away from the workout impressed.

I think I've done enough to be a top 10 pick. I hope I have. The draft is still over a month away, so I have to keep on working. I have to stay away from the negative stuff and stay focused on what's ahead. There's still a lot of work to do. I have to be ready for the team that drafts me.

I may have some individual workouts for teams in the next couple of weeks, so I have to keep training. It's back to Atlanta for more work.

All League
    Excellent, Bitonti.

Makes you realize the work these guys put in in getting ready for the combine, the pro days, the private work outs, etc.

Of course the potential pay off is with the effort.

One thing that stands out here is the maturity of this 21 year old - the committment to doing what it takes.

If any of us were worried about this kid's ability to adjust, I think that worry might be a little lessened by these diaries.

Broccoli and cheese soup, eh?

Practice Squad
    Originally posted by bitonti@May 1 2003, 09:38 AM
    I was measured at 6-1 3/8 and weighed 324 pounds. That weight was a little high. I think it's because I tried to load up on the carbs the night before to have energy for the workout. I ate some pasta and bread. I hadn't been eating much of that. I want to play at 315.

Man am I glad that I don't put on 7 pounds after a spaghetti dinner...

All Pro
    Originally posted by DaJets@May 1 2003, 12:10 PM
    Man am I glad that I don't put on 7 pounds after a spaghetti dinner...
    Every person's metabolism is different. At that weight, he probably finds it easier to gain weight in a quicker time than most people do. I'm sure that a good workout helps him lose more in a shorter time than most people also.

Besides, I'll bet it was some portion!!

Veteran
    Excellent post Bitonti, really sounds like DR has his head screwed on tight!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    as a supplement here is Dewayne's Draft Day Q & A with PFW

Draft Day Q&A

Kentucky DT Dewayne Robertson

April 26, 2003

Kentucky DT Dewayne Robertson was selected fourth overall by the Jets. New York traded their two first-round picks (at No. 13 and 22) with the Bears to get in position to select Robertson. He answered questions from the media at The Theater at Madison Square Garden after he became a Jet.

Q: What major adjustments do you think you'll need from your college style to playing in the NFL? Is it that the guys you'll be going against are bigger?

Robertson: I think I'm ready physically. I just need to get my mind ready mentally for a long season. That's about it.

Q: Do you like New York?

Robertson: Yeah, yeah. I do.

Q: Were you expecting this trade to go down yesterday afternoon? Were you expecting this today?

Robertson: Kind of a little bit. I didn't want to get locked on any particular team and end up getting my expectations to kind of suffer.

Q: Was your agent popping the champagne because in New York, the endorsement opportunities are just incredible?

Robertson: He said it would be a great place, endorsements and stuff like that. Yeah, but I haven't seen them yet (laughter).

Q: Some players like that New York is such a very big market and there's a lot of attention on them compared to other cities, so you have any feeling about that?

Robertson: I like it. It's a great place to start a career and that's why I'm here.

Q: What about the inevitable comparison with Warren Sapp and you?

Robertson: That's an honor for people to compare me to Warren Sapp because he's such a great player. It's a blessing for me to even be in this position and I just want to thank God for it.

Q: Do you feel you were going to go very high whether the Jets moved up or not? Did you think this was about where you were going to be drafted?

Robertson: Yeah. That's what my thoughts were, but I didn't have a particular team that I thought of.

Q: How would you describe yourself as a player?

Robertson: I'm an aggressive player; the type of player that loves to get the quarterback and at the same time I can stop the run. I've got both packages. I've got run-stop ability and the pass-rush ability. You can find some players that can only stop the run or some players can only rush the pass and I believe that I can do both of them.

Q: Do you think that comparison of you to Warren Sapp is a good one?

Robertson: Warren Sapp is the type of player that I just like his attitude and his passion for the game and that's the same passion that I have for the game. Also, the same passion that Jon Runyan has, so I just like those two players.

Q: Can you talk the way Sapp talks?

Robertson: If I need to, yeah.