Thread: which UDFA's will make the team?

1. Will Ofenheusle
    2. Ian Smart
    3. Bobby Brandt
    4. Jason Thomas
    5. Demario Suggs
    6. Cecil Moore
    7. Marquel Blackwell
    8. Mark Brown

9th man - Chad Brinker

Banned
    1. Will Ofenheusle
    2. Ian Smart

That should be it. 8 is too many. 8 won't make the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    3 of them have already been announced: Ian Smart (RB) C.W.Post, Lance Gibson (DE) Central Washington, and Gabe Reid (TE) BYU. Signed as of this afternoon.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan@May 3 2003, 05:15 PM
    3 of them have already been announced: Ian Smart (RB) C.W.Post, Lance Gibson (DE) Central Washington, and Gabe Reid (TE) BYU. Signed as of this afternoon.
    that doesn't mean they make the opening day roster, it just means they are coming to camp.

Personally i don't think ofenhuesle makes it,

ian smart has the best chance out of any of these UDFA guys.

Veteran
    Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind@May 3 2003, 05:10 PM
    1. Will Ofenheusle
    2. Ian Smart

That should be it. 8 is too many. 8 won't make the team.
    i think this is on the money, however i would like to see cecil moore make the team

All League
    Here's my list. At this point, it only a guess. I do really believe Chad Brinker will, by far, get the best opportunity. Mike Westhoff, special teams coach, has already publicly proclaimed his desire to work with him.

1)RB/KR--Chad Brinker--This is, likely, the player that got the largest UFA signing bonus for the Jets. I do some stuff for a Colts site, and I looked into Brinker 2 months ago, as he was the first player they worked out. Brinker was flown in, and worked out, by about 10 teams (Buff, Ind, Det, Clev, Seatt, Carolina, Balt, ect)...His hi-lite was running a 4.4/ 40, outside in 25 degree, rainy weather in Detroit:o .....Bradway and Westhoff both have spoken about him in positive terms.

2)CB--Kevin Knight--He's real fast and super strong, in terms of strength. This little fellow could be an immediate hit on special teams and could compete for a nickle or dime spot.

3)OT--Will Offenheusele--If you look around the NFL, the easiest positions to make as an undrafted free agent--outside of punter and kicker-- is the offensive line. The New York Giants had 3 starting last year. Offenheusele will, at least, make the practice squad.

4)LB--Vince Alexander--Alexander played safety for the Penn Quakers. He is known personally by Mike Westhoff (he was a teammate of Westhoff's son)....Pat Kirwan, of nfl.com, talked him up before the draft. Strictly a special teamer to start out with?

5)DE--Lance Gibson Dominate pass rush run end from a small school. Herm Edwards has already publicly praised his skills. Practice squad, at least.

6)MLB--Mark Brown He may spend a year on the practice squad, but has some potential to be Hobson's, eventual, backup.

7)OT--Bobby Brandt....Long snapper...Long snapper...Anything more needs to be said? If he's even decent at it, he'll play somewhere in the NFL

8)QB-Marquel Blackwell Practice squad, likely, but worth following in the future.

No way, 8 make the 53 man roster. Even 4, would an upset.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think, Smart or Brinker will make the team. Not both. I'd be surprised if they both made the team.

The Jets Runningbacks as of today are Curtis Martin, Lamont Jordan, Jerald Sowell, B.J. Askew, Sean Bennett, Chad Kohns, Jonathan Reese, Raymonn Adams, Chad Brinker and Ian Smart. I'm not sure if Flowers is still with this team. If he is, then that's 11 backs for probably no more than 6 spots.

As for WR, Cecil Moore and company would have to do alot to crack this team.

The Jet WR's, as of today are Curtis Conway, Santana Moss, Wayne Chrebet, Kevin Swayne, Jonathan Carter, Tory Woodbury, Kamau Peterson, Phil McGeoghan etc...... The Jets will probably keep no more than 6.

One of The Undrafted Free Agent Offensive Lineman actually has a shot to make this team unless The Jets go out and get a veteran offensive tackle. The Jets have some depth at guard but desperately need depth at tackle.

I think, Jason Thomas has a shot to make the practice squad if The Jets move him to TE. The Jets tight ends are Anthony Becht, Chris Baker and James Dearth. If I was an undrafted free agent TE, I would have signed with The Jets. Reid and Thomas actually have a decent chance if they impress. The Jets could potentially keep 4 TE's especially since Dearth is really just a long snapper.

These undrafted free agents need to excel on special teams. That's where they can possibly find an opening. Brinker and Smart have a real shot if they can stand above everyone else on the roster returning kicks.

The QB situation is an interesting one and may lead to the end of Tory Woodbury's career with The Jets. Woodbury is now a fulltime WR and he will see some competition for his spot at that position. At QB, The Jets have 2 starting QB's in Pennington and Testaverde. The Jets need to groom a QB behind Vinny for the future. It's basically Husak, Bollinger and Blackwell for that 3rd spot. The Jets could possibly carry 4 qb's on the roster.

It looks like to me that Doug Brien and Dan Stryzinski are going to be our opening day kicker and punter. No real competition has been brought in for their spots.

All Pro
    Originally posted by bitonti+May 3 2003, 06:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bitonti @ May 3 2003, 06:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ARodKeyWestJetsFan@May 3 2003, 05:15 PM
    that doesn&#39;t mean they make the opening day roster, it just means they are coming to camp.

Personally i don&#39;t think ofenhuesle makes it,

ian smart has the best chance out of any of these UDFA guys. [/b][/quote]
    I believe Mark Brown is the guy who has the best shot at sticking.This guy was the leader of the Auburn Tigers defense,and his major competition will be Kevin Moses a guy making a nice buck who hardly plays.Youth may be served at this position especially when the money is factored into the equation.

Originally posted by Tinstar+May 3 2003, 11:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tinstar @ May 3 2003, 11:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -bitonti@May 3 2003, 06:14 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    @May 3 2003, 05:15 PM

that doesn&#39;t mean they make the opening day roster, it just means they are coming to camp.

Personally i don&#39;t think ofenhuesle makes it,

ian smart has the best chance out of any of these UDFA guys.
    I believe Mark Brown is the guy who has the best shot at sticking.This guy was the leader of the Auburn Tigers defense,and his major competition will be Kevin Moses a guy making a nice buck who hardly plays.Youth may be served at this position especially when the money is factored into the equation. [/b][/quote]
    this guy was the leader, and a good starter with Karlos Dansby playing LB too

did Chaun Thompson go to Auburn too?