Thread: Who's the Heir Apparent to Marvin Jones??

Banned
    I think it will be Jason Glenn. He's got great physical tools, he's the fastest Linebacker on the team. Before he got injured at the end of his senior season, he was slated to be a late second or early 3rd round pick.

Then at the combine he rana slow time because he was still injured. Now he runs around the 4.5's - 4.6's.

Herm loves his intensity, the only thing wrong with Jason is he doesn't have it all in his head yet.

I know being a special Teamer means nothing but the guy looks spectacular on special teams.

Also, before being moved to the Strongside by the JETS, he was a middle Linebacker in college who was great in coverage.

All League
    The situation regarding Jason really won't be sorted out till after the season is over. We need to see if the D-Line can shoulder the burden of stopping the run up the middle as well as generate major heat on the QB. If Hobson pans out and he along with Cowart contain the outside action I would say the J Glenn will do nicely at MLB. Then the Jets can focus on taking a Shut Down CB with the first pick in the 2004 draft. If we need a big presence at MLB we will have to use the first pick on a Linebacker.

It's way to early

All League
    Pulling for Glen. The Mole is right if he can do it, it will save us a high draft pick. I'm not sure the replacement is on the roster yet.

Banned
    I'm guessing this is Mo's last year, I think he'll retire next year, which is most likely going to happen. I think Hobson will fine taking over and maning the Strongside.

This might be Marvin's last year also. And I think the fact that the JETS haven't added a vetran LB, is that Jason Glenn is really making an impression on the coaching staff so far.

Veteran
    Any chance Cowart moves into there? if not I am a big fan of Glenn and would love to see him get more involved in the defense...also maybe Khary Campbell can evolve and get some playing time...he sure as hell can hit

Banned
    Well i've been reading articles where Herm and Teddy are saying how Jason was looking great, his speed is awsome, and they said he looks like he can contribute on defense this year.

I haven't heard nothing on Khary Campbell. I know he's a good special teamer. Thats about it.

Cowart seems to have made a home for himself at Weakside linebacker.

I'm excited to know how this all turns out.

Waterboy
    Cowart has experience as an inside LB. The reason I'd rather see him moved there is the MLB has to call defensive audibles if they're in the wrong D or to counter an offensive audible. I'd rather have an experienced Cowart doing that than Glenn. But I do think Glenn has talent.

Veteran
    i have a feeling that either cowart will be moved inside or our new mlb isn't yet on the team.

All League
    Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind@May 24 2003, 01:42 PM
    I think it will be Jason Glenn. He's got great physical tools, he's the fastest Linebacker on the team. Before he got injured at the end of his senior season, he was slated to be a late second or early 3rd round pick.

Then at the combine he rana slow time because he was still injured. Now he runs around the 4.5's - 4.6's.

Herm loves his intensity, the only thing wrong with Jason is he doesn't have it all in his head yet.

I know being a special Teamer means nothing but the guy looks spectacular on special teams.

Also, before being moved to the Strongside by the JETS, he was a middle Linebacker in college who was great in coverage.
    Victor Hobson will eventually replace Marvin Jones at ILB. The LBer unit is being replaced in the draft. Next year is the best LB crop in a decade (after several sparse years). Here's a list of the seniors who will be in next years draft. It's from a list of the top 25 seniors regard;ess of position. Five of them are LB'ers. Doesn't include juniors who may declare next year and there are several blue chip juniors as well. I see the Jets using their 1st round pick on a LBer or a corner next year. If the Dline with Robertson can get pressure I see Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis both having rebound exceptional years. The great LB'ers of recent years have all had dominating DT's to let them roam free. Urlacher had Keith Traylor and Ted Washington, Ray Lewis had Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams. Derrick Brooks had Warren Sapp and Anthony McFarland.By 2005 the Jets will have a young grat group of LB'ers, Sam Cowart, Victor Hobson and Teddy Lehman ( I hope).

Top Senior 2004 Prospects

posted 5-1-03

3. Karlos Dansby-OLB-Auburn
    10. Dontarrious Thomas-ILB-Auburn
    11. Teddy Lehman-OLB-Oklahoma
    15. Michael Boulware-OLB-Florida State
    24. D.J. Williams-OLB-Miami

All Pro
    Originally posted by rajensen088@May 24 2003, 06:38 PM
    Top Senior 2004 Prospects

posted 5-1-03

3. Karlos Dansby-OLB-Auburn
    10. Dontarrious Thomas-ILB-Auburn
    11. Teddy Lehman-OLB-Oklahoma
    15. Michael Boulware-OLB-Florida State
    24. D.J. Williams-OLB-Miami
    I sure hope we're not picking 11th overall!

All League
    Originally posted by Boozer76@May 24 2003, 06:16 PM
    Cowart has experience as an inside LB. The reason I'd rather see him moved there is the MLB has to call defensive audibles if they're in the wrong D or to counter an offensive audible. I'd rather have an experienced Cowart doing that than Glenn. But I do think Glenn has talent.
    Boozer if anything the Jets would move Hobson to MLB for 2004 over Cowart for the very reason you stated. Cowart has 3 maybe 4 seasons left in him after this year. Hobson has at least 10. One of the intangibles the scouting reports cite of Hobson is his leadership abilities. He's definitely a better fit in the middle. The CS staff may be playing him at SSLB this year to give him a better understanding of the game. Also his "lack of speed" is less of a detriment there.

There are to many factors to consider before one can serously make any judgement of what the Jets LB Corp will look like in 2004. Cowart being moved inside is a possibilty though very remote. BTW his experience is as an inside linebacker in a 3-4. A vastly different position than MLB in a 4-3.

Edwards philosophy regarding defenses is to have his Defensive Line and Defensive Backfield as the dominant units. The use of an early pick at LB this year was necessitated out of pragmatism. Mo and Shadetree are coming to the end of the line. Herm didn't want to go through the agony of have to replace 2/3s of the LB corp including its leader at the same time. I would suspect the Jets will draft another Linebacker next year but it will be a middle round pick that will take a year or two to groom. During that time the Jets will need an experienced player like Glenn to hold down the fort at SSLB while Victor is settling in at MLB.

Another possibilty is the MLB will see diminished possibilty and usage. This would come about if the D-Line becomes the powerhouse that we all are anticipating now that we have Robertson. The MLB has 2 principle responsibilities. 1) STUFF THE RUN and 2) COVER THE BACK COMING OUT OF THE BACKFIELD When the D-Line becomes so dominant the it continually gets to the QB despite double teaming one of one lineman the only thing an offense can do is to hold in that running back in order to double up another lineman. That's when having a 5th back in lieu of an MLB is an asset. The coverage calling responsibilities is shifted to the strong safety. Enter Jamie Henderson. In that situation Ray Mickens would get his wish granted of being a starter.

To sum it all up...IT'S WAY TO EARLY TO TALK ABOUT THIS STUFF.

At this point the Jets two pressing needs going into the 2004 Draft will be four Wide Receiver and Corner Back. I would expect the Jets to take the better athlete at either position with their first round pick and draft for the other position in the second round. To take another linebacker with either pick would indicate the Jets feel they have a Superstud that fell into their laps or there are serious problems at linebacker.

Banned
    First of all, Victor Hobson is a Strongside Linebacker who can cover the runningback and Tightend very well. Second of all, Jason Glenn is a natural Middle Linebacker who was moved to strongside because of lack of depth. I guarentee that Hobson in 2004 will be the JETS starting Strongside Linebacker.

Jason Glenn is getting more involved in the defense, He will spell Marvin Jones and Sam Cowart this season when they need a rest. Eventually he will start.

Sam Cowart is a natural playmaker who will be back to 100% this year. He is staying on the weakside.

This thread is about Jason Glenns ability to start, and he does.

Jason is a natural leader who is fiery.

This thread is about Jason Glenns ability to start, i'm not looking towards 3 years down the road. I'm looking at this season if he will get playingtime and if next season he could holddown a starting position.

Whoever Teddy Lehman is doesn't matter at all rightnow. What matter is who the JETS have now, and the JETS have very viable LBs with tremndous talent.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Posts by Westcoastmole and Jetsmastermind were the best posts I've seen on this board so far. Thanks guys! They were so well written and informative. That is why I am here. To hear stuff like that. I'd like to add my two cents: I think Jason Glenn will be a starter (he has good bloodlines) but we drafted Hobson specifically because of his coverage on the tight end, so he will be in the mix quickly.

I also want that cover corner. I think our secondary was weak last year.

Veteran
    ROD DAVIS MLB SO.MISS!!!! He is a bad dude.Could have been a top 20 pick if he came out this year.

All League
    Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind@May 24 2003, 08:05 PM
    First of all, Victor Hobson is a Strongside Linebacker who can cover the runningback and Tightend very well. Second of all, Jason Glenn is a natural Middle Linebacker who was moved to strongside because of lack of depth. I guarentee that Hobson in 2004 will be the JETS starting Strongside Linebacker.

Jason Glenn is getting more involved in the defense, He will spell Marvin Jones and Sam Cowart this season when they need a rest. Eventually he will start.

Sam Cowart is a natural playmaker who will be back to 100% this year. He is staying on the weakside.

This thread is about Jason Glenns ability to start, i'm not looking towards 3 years down the road. I'm looking at this season if he will get playingtime and if next season he could holddown a starting position.

Whoever Teddy Lehman is doesn't matter at all rightnow. What matter is who the JETS have now, and the JETS have very viable LBs with tremndous talent.
    JetsD

If Hobson can cover either a running back or a tight-end he is equally suited to playing to playing Strong Side or Middle Linebacker. As to Glenn I agree with you he was moved to strong side because of lack of team depth. What is interesting is that right now on the Jets Depth Chart Kelvin Moses is listed as the no 2 MLB behind Jones. Glenn is shown as the no 2 SSLB behind Mo. There is no one in the no 2 WSLB slot behind Cowart. The chart in question accounts for the free agents signed early in the offseason but does not include any draft picks or UDFAs. As I have stated in other threads the changes in the starting line ups when the ball is kicked off in DC on Sept 4 will be minimal. Barring preseason injury the Linebackers will look exactly the same from last year that is, Mo Lewis at SSLB, Marvin Jones at MLB and Sam Cowart at WSLB. In terms of depth I would not be surprised to see Jason Glenn listed as the no 2 LB at ALL THREE POSITIONS. That is Glenn by the sake of his own experience would be the no 4 LB overall. Barring injury this alignment would hold through the Bye Week. When they return from the Bye Oct 12 barring a disaster like we had last year I would expect Herm and Cottrell to begin playing Hobson at SSLB and over the next 3 weeks have him in on 25 to 30 % of the teams' plays. By the Jet-Giant Game I would expect Herm and Cottrell to do the same thing with Glenn at MLB. By time they return home for the November 23rd game against Jacksonville I would expect Herm to sit down with Cottrell and have a meeting of the minds on a number of matters which includes the starting linebackers. All of this will include evaluations of which LBs are playing the best and what the needs of the team are. If the play of all the Linebackers are roughly equal and the team is sitting on a comfortable lead in the standings they may elect to start one of the two. My hunch it would be Hobson first because Mo is a sure goner after this year. If Victor isn't eaten alive in the next two games Cottrell will follow with Jason Glenn. Glenn would under the same evaluation in the ensuing two games. If either fails miserably the older vet would be brought back in. In preparation for the Dec 20th game Herm and Cottrell will make another decision about who to play in their final two games against New England and Miami. This would be a very simple one based on the need for victories and what players are playing the best.

JetsD It's my take is Herm would have done some of this last year if he had the luxury of having a lead in the standings. As we all know the Jets played catch up all season. As I alluded to before there is no doubt that this will be Mo's last year. The Jets could probably coax another year out of Shadetree's rickety old bones if they have to. For this reason we will see higher likelihood of starting, and more playing time out of, Hobson than we will see out of Glenn. There is little doubt that even if Jones comes back for 2004 it will be in the capacity as a back up to Glenn. How that shakes out will be a matter of how the Jets conduct there 2004 Draft. As I said early in this thread my take is that Herm and Bradway will opt for a CB and a WR in the first two rounds and draft 2 LBs in rounds 3 through 5. That echelon of talent takes a few years to develop.

I'm not down on Jason Glenn it's just there are number of factors relating to who will start for any given game. Unfortunately the Jets' Linebacker situation is dependent upon a number of inter related matters which comprise both short term and long term consequences. From my perspective on May 24 2003 I would say that Jason Glenn is the odds on favorite to replace Marvin Jones. Will that happen this season ? It's possible but not likely. Will he be given enough playing time at MLB to demonstrate what he can and can not do ? Almost certainly.

Banned
    Originally posted by WestCoastMole+May 25 2003, 01:27 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WestCoastMole @ May 25 2003, 01:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JetsD-Mastermind@May 24 2003, 08:05 PM

This thread is about Jason Glenns ability to start, i&#39;m not looking towards 3 years down the road. I&#39;m looking at this season if he will get playingtime and if next season he could holddown a starting position.

Whoever Teddy Lehman is doesn&#39;t matter at all rightnow. What matter is who the JETS have now, and the JETS have very viable LBs with tremndous talent.
    JetsD

If Hobson can cover either a running back or a tight-end he is equally suited to playing to playing Strong Side or Middle Linebacker. As to Glenn I agree with you he was moved to strong side because of lack of team depth. What is interesting is that right now on the Jets Depth Chart Kelvin Moses is listed as the no 2 MLB behind Jones. Glenn is shown as the no 2 SSLB behind Mo. There is no one in the no 2 WSLB slot behind Cowart. The chart in question accounts for the free agents signed early in the offseason but does not include any draft picks or UDFAs. As I have stated in other threads the changes in the starting line ups when the ball is kicked off in DC on Sept 4 will be minimal. Barring preseason injury the Linebackers will look exactly the same from last year that is, Mo Lewis at SSLB, Marvin Jones at MLB and Sam Cowart at WSLB. In terms of depth I would not be surprised to see Jason Glenn listed as the no 2 LB at ALL THREE POSITIONS. That is Glenn by the sake of his own experience would be the no 4 LB overall. Barring injury this alignment would hold through the Bye Week. When they return from the Bye Oct 12 barring a disaster like we had last year I would expect Herm and Cottrell to begin playing Hobson at SSLB and over the next 3 weeks have him in on 25 to 30 % of the teams&#39; plays. By the Jet-Giant Game I would expect Herm and Cottrell to do the same thing with Glenn at MLB. By time they return home for the November 23rd game against Jacksonville I would expect Herm to sit down with Cottrell and have a meeting of the minds on a number of matters which includes the starting linebackers. All of this will include evaluations of which LBs are playing the best and what the needs of the team are. If the play of all the Linebackers are roughly equal and the team is sitting on a comfortable lead in the standings they may elect to start one of the two. My hunch it would be Hobson first because Mo is a sure goner after this year. If Victor isn&#39;t eaten alive in the next two games Cottrell will follow with Jason Glenn. Glenn would under the same evaluation in the ensuing two games. If either fails miserably the older vet would be brought back in. In preparation for the Dec 20th game Herm and Cottrell will make another decision about who to play in their final two games against New England and Miami. This would be a very simple one based on the need for victories and what players are playing the best.

JetsD It&#39;s my take is Herm would have done some of this last year if he had the luxury of having a lead in the standings. As we all know the Jets played catch up all season. As I alluded to before there is no doubt that this will be Mo&#39;s last year. The Jets could probably coax another year out of Shadetree&#39;s rickety old bones if they have to. For this reason we will see higher likelihood of starting, and more playing time out of, Hobson than we will see out of Glenn. There is little doubt that even if Jones comes back for 2004 it will be in the capacity as a back up to Glenn. How that shakes out will be a matter of how the Jets conduct there 2004 Draft. As I said early in this thread my take is that Herm and Bradway will opt for a CB and a WR in the first two rounds and draft 2 LBs in rounds 3 through 5. That echelon of talent takes a few years to develop.

I&#39;m not down on Jason Glenn it&#39;s just there are number of factors relating to who will start for any given game. Unfortunately the Jets&#39; Linebacker situation is dependent upon a number of inter related matters which comprise both short term and long term consequences. From my perspective on May 24 2003 I would say that Jason Glenn is the odds on favorite to replace Marvin Jones. Will that happen this season ? It&#39;s possible but not likely. Will he be given enough playing time at MLB to demonstrate what he can and can not do ? Almost certainly. [/b][/quote]
    I agree 100% that the starting Linebackers in the game opener will be Mo, Marvin, and Sam. But Jason Glenn and Victor Hobson will be played in a rotation, a LB by Commitee of sorts, where Victor would come in & spell Mo, while Jason does the same for Marvin. I think Jason has improved greatly fom his rookie year, and I know this because of comments made by Herm & Cotrell. Hobson is a stongside linebacker, thats what the JETS drafted him for. There is going to be a heated battle in camp between Kelvin Moses, Khary Campbell, Kevin Wright, and Vince Alexander for the 6th and 7th linebacker spots.

I predict that Jason Glenn who has matured the past 2 years, will have the mental game down, and he will hold down the starting middle linebacker position by 2004.

All Pro
    If the Jets don&#39;t use Carter in passing situations, then I think that Henderson or Glenn becomes the "James Darling" replacement.

Tough to call.

Veteran
    I&#39;d like to see Cowart in the middle. Jason Glenn has superior speed and is built for the weak side. Hobson will emerge as the starting SSLB by next year. That would give us 3 starters who not only pack a punch, but can run as well.