Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many games did Terry Glenn get suspended for?

All Pro
    I know he "Missed" a test just like Evans is rumored to have.

4 but i believe it was his first offense since being in the program.

All Pro
    Thanks, second offense is probably 8 :o

Yeah but didnít Evans already get suspended for a year? He might be on his fourth. I think its 1 4 games 2nd is 8 and 3 is year 4th life. Could be wrong but could have sworn I read it when the whole Glenn mess was goin on in NE. With the Cloud situation I found that if you guys cut evens he would have to server the suspension once he is on an active roster. It doesnít go away so some team is would have to sign him and bench him for that time.

All Pro
    4th? Geez I thought it was only his second offense.

All Pro
    your 1st offence is being enroled in the program, no penalty.
    2nd offense is 4 games
    3rd offence is lifetime ban, eligible after one year.

Dale Carter got reinstated after 8 games because his 3rd offence was just alcohol and not an illegal drug.

Glenn was suspeneded for 4 games for missing his test, that was his second infraction.

All League
    This is the complete and unabridged NFL Drug Policy.

http://www.nflpa.org/members/main.asp?subP...age=Drug+Policy

Everything you wanted to know, and more, about what happens when a player enters the Gulag, err, Program.

The Steroid policy can be found at the bottom of the lefthand menu.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by patman@Jun 21 2003, 04:42 PM
    your 1st offence is being enroled in the program, no penalty.
    2nd offense is 4 games
    3rd offence is lifetime ban, eligible after one year.

Dale Carter got reinstated after 8 games because his 3rd offence was just alcohol and not an illegal drug.

Glenn was suspeneded for 4 games for missing his test, that was his second infraction.
    I think we covered this already - the best precedent for Evans is Leon Lett. Like Evans, Lett was a Stage 3 offender who had served a one-year suspension and then tested positive again. The result was an indefinite ban (not technically a "lifetime"ban) followed by reinstatement at the Commish's discretion. In his case, it was 8 games later. Sure, it's counterintuitive that your punishment would be less severe than your previous one, but this is exactly what happened.

Evans arguably has a better case than Lett since he stayed cleaner for longer following his one-year ban AND tested positive for a drug that is less image-tarnishing than coke. Also, if rumors that Evans merely missed a test are true, this may also weigh in his favor, especially if he took a subsequent test immediately thereafter and passed.

Expect an indefinite ban for Evans with him suiting up and on the field to play the Giants in Week 9.

All League
    Originally posted by Flowtrain@Jun 22 2003, 04:17 PM
    Also, if rumors that Evans merely missed a test are true, this may also weigh in his favor, especially if he took a subsequent test immediately thereafter and passed.

As you infer, this has been beaten to death, but I disagree with you here Flow.

The League has made it clear in no uncertain terms that in the Gulag , a missed test (even if backed up with phone records attempting to reschedule, and a following day passed sample) is a failed test.

Reading that info from the NFLPA, tho makes me wonder how the union could allow the degree of arbitrariness present in so many clauses, in particular the lengths of time Stages One and Two can be extended.

I guess all we've got for hope is the story a few weeks back implying Herm's close relationship with Tags may yield some moderation of the sentence for Josh. :blink:

{Does that mean an owner or coach's good relationship with Tags could yield the OPPOSITE result if it were so wished? A higher/longer "punsihment?"
    THAT is a frightful thought - but by extension the discretionary nature of the "policy" would enable it)

Tho personally, I doubt the warm regard between Tags and Herm will mean one iota in the end, and even if it could somehow mitigate Josh's penalty, I would not want to see Herm's reservior of good will dissipated by this particular Priodigal Son.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

HH - you're absolutely correct that the policy views missed tests and positive tests as indistinguishable. And I would agree with you completely if Evans' designated penalty was anything other than the indefinite ban.

But as we know, there is no prescribed punishment for his offense - since he's already faced the 1-year ban, this penalty is 100% within the Commish's discretion. As such, Tagliabue is required to evaluate all mitigating factors when rendering his judgment. Despite the precise wording of the policy to the contrary, IMO, Tags will be hard-pressed to ignore a scenario in which Evans corrected his missed test by showing up on the lab's doorstep the following morning and submitting a clean sample (if that indeed happened). Human discretion is in play here. If Tags factors in the missed test with a more lenient ruling, yet provides a "legally correct" justification by pointing to Evans' prior compliance and solid character (rather than a missed test), that will be just as well for the Jets. But the point isn't that this factor will definitely cut in Evans' favor, it's just that it can only help him.

I'm with you on the Herm factor though - I think it's negligible.

All League
    Funny then Flow, if by entering still "another" higher stage, the "perp" manages to find a crack in the Gulag's door - the level where "discretion" really kicks in. The grey area in which "banned for life" is interpreted.

Ironic, that you can only thow yourself on the mercy of the court after you've whiffed your three strikes. Only hard core recidivists can apply for clemency.

Who wrote this "policy"? LOL

Banned
    What ever happened to the art of "Getting Over"?

Heck, half the dudes I grew up with would run circles around this policy.

For example, if you know that missing a test equals failing a test ... how in the world can you be so stupid as to miss a test?

Okay, let's say you smoked a huge blunt on friday nite, then you get the call on Saturday ... we need you to appear for a test on Monday.

If my entire career was hanging in the balance, I'm running my car off the road and into a wall {just enough to damage the car, but not enough to damage myself}, and then I'm waiting for the ambulence to take me to the hospital. :lol:

Next day I call the league office and say ... sorry fellas, can't make it, I was in a car accident and I'm in the hospital. :lol:

All League
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Jun 22 2003, 05:38 PM
    What ever happened to the art of "Getting Over"?

Heck, half the dudes I grew up with would run circles around this policy.

For example, if you know that missing a test equals failing a test ... how in the world can you be so stupid as to miss a test?

Okay, let's say you smoked a huge blunt on friday nite, then you get the call on Saturday ... we need you to appear for a test on Monday.

If my entire career was hanging in the balance, I'm running my car off the road and into a wall {just enough to damage the car, but not enough to damage myself}, and then I'm waiting for the ambulence to take me to the hospital. :lol:

Next day I call the league office and say ... sorry fellas, can't make it, I was in a car accident and I'm in the hospital. :lol:
    FUNNY stuff, GJ&H!

Something tells me these guys know everything there is to about "getting over". Problem is they got over once too often and got sloppy.

I don't know if I like that faked car accident idea. :o

This is, after all, the New Yorks JETS you are speaking of. A gentlely planned fender bender would end up a 100 car chain reaction colliison - with the rest of the team ironically driving immediately behind.

Nix that hospital gig too. Where better to retrive a sample than the place where Nurse Ratched greets you with a catheter?

Banned
    HH, you know why the hospital angle is perfect?

Cause it offers the sympathy angle.

Basically, it would be totally inappropriate to badger someone for a urine sample when he just got into a car accident that landed him in the hospital.

The only appropriate response is ... Gee, sorry to hear that. Don't worry about the sample, we can get that another time. You just get well soon.

And it also offers the indignant angle ... PLAN B

Example, if they still request a sample you would be totally justified in responding .... WHAT ARE YOU FRIGGIN NUTS!! I'M IN THE FRIGGIN HOSPITAL AND I'M IN PAIN, AND YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO ASK ME FOR A SAMPLE!! YOU'LL GET YOUR FRIGGIN SAMPLE WHEN I'M HEALTHY ENOUGH TO MAKE THE TRIP, CASE CLOSED!! {Click!!} :lol:

Either way, if you play your cards right you are SCOTT FREE B)

All League
    You are the eternal optimist, my friend.

However, your school day pranks have to meet up with the 21st century.

That means, if the insurance company says you're damaged goods enuff to stay overnight, you stay over. If you stay over, there are no "requests" from hospital staff. In other words, you do not refuse catheters. I don't think I need to explain why you are not allowed to refuse.

It will not be pretty, GJ&H.

You will be banged up.

Your car will be damaged,

You will be forced to stay the night in uncomfortable surroundings.

And you still fail the test. LMAO!

g'nite

All Pro
    What has to be considered is the Evans overturned penalty last year, becasue of the paper trail. He beat the charge but the program administrators knew he was dirty. They should not hold it against him but they probally will.

Banned
    Originally posted by patman@Jun 22 2003, 09:49 PM
    What has to be considered is the Evans overturned penalty last year, becasue of the paper trail. He beat the charge but the program administrators knew he was dirty. They should not hold it against him but they probally will.
    Patman, I believe you just hit the bullseye

Practice Squad
    I almost feel sorry for Terry Glenn . . . a messed up player who would have been much better off with a decent agent.

All League
    Did anyone notice that in all these "policies", "fan alienation" is cited as the reason for their existance?

Anyone also notice at the NFLPA site, the cursory nature of the "personal conduct" policy? No Gulag there. Just stay out of jail, you stay on the field.

As an NFL fan I personally am not "alienated" by the fact Josh Evans MAY have smoked marijuana. Certainly NOT condoning the use of illegal drugs, but Josh's alleged toking just does not "alienate" me.

I am also not "alienated" by the fact Terry Glenn's mental disorders make it "impossible" for him to navigate the Gulag, so he will miss a test.

Neither am I "alienated" by Jason Ferguson's taking the same OTC appetlte suppressant pill I might take myself.

Doesn't "alienate" me that Brett Favre may have taken his prescription pain killers longer than his doctor recommended. Or washed down his Tylenol with a Coors.

All of these players, I'd like to see helped. But they don't "alienate" me one iota.

Most of the breakers of the "steroid" policy don't "alienate" me either. Fully acknowledging performance enhancing substances could challenge the integrity of the game, it does not "alienate" me one whit that Mike Cloud, Ray Buchanan, or any other undersized player might have used the same kind of protein mix I have read board members here discuss.

Doesn't "alienate" me either, that a man the size of Marc Gastineau felt the need to roid himself out, only as to it pertained to his off-field violence rages. THEN it "alienated" me.

Michael Pittman, however , DOES "alienate" me. Even more "alienating" is the understanding that if his probation is not revoked, he will likely suit up this season.

What "alienates" me is the League using the fans to scapegoat the abusers of the drug and steroid polices, while allowing violent and criminal offenders to beat the league system, if they can beat the legal system

In order to keep from "alienating the fans", the NFL is doing a pertty good job of "alienating" this fan.

Practice Squad
    I really shouldn't care whether or not Terry Glenn is successful in the NFL, but I do. This in spite of the fact that I know he's been his own worst enemy.