Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible back-up linebackers.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Who knows anything about these 2? Once again I find myself at a loss. See below from the Sporting News Jets Team Report:

Rookie free agents Mark Brown and Vince Alexander have impressed and could make the team because of a lack of depth at linebacker.

All Pro
    no me, I think the jets should look at Fiala for depth at MLB.
    With Glenn and Hobsun they should be ok on the outside but there is nobody to back up Jones, who at his age should't play more than 60% of the snaps.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by patman@Jun 22 2003, 09:32 AM
    no me, I think the jets should look at Fiala for depth at MLB.
    With Glenn and Hobsun they should be ok on the outside but there is nobody to back up Jones, who at his age should't play more than 60% of the snaps.
    Agreed. Could be one of those 2 I listed.

All Pro
    As a playoff caliber team, I would be hesitant to have my b/u MLB be a rodkie undrafted free agent. Besides Ferguson your DT's are a rookie and two 2nd year guys that have not played. If JOnes is ever out and Ferguson or Robertson are being rotated out, to trust your run D to Harper and Brown/Alexander would give me pause.

Veteran
    What about Kelvin Moses

Banned
    Good lord, just how shallow IS your defense? I have to be honest and I don't pay much attention to other teams backups and what not. Be careful you don't turn into the Dolphins with all probowlers but no depth.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Jared@Jun 22 2003, 11:21 AM
    Good lord, just how shallow IS your defense? I have to be honest and I don't pay much attention to other teams backups and what not. Be careful you don't turn into the Dolphins with all probowlers but no depth.

I hate to tell you this,but we are just fans we don't make personel decisions. That would be the FO you might want to tell to be careful. We have depth at every position we are set right now. Thats why we are not going after any FAs the FO is happy with the team they have,and would rather hold on to there money for there FA signings coming up. Besides look at the Patsies you talk about the fish having PBs and no depth. I would rather have that then no starters on my O line No quality RB no depth a QB and about to lose your best coach. So maybe just maybe you should be worrying about your team.

Now how much are you asking to rent that space?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by patman@Jun 22 2003, 10:19 AM
    As a playoff caliber team, I would be hesitant to have my b/u MLB be a rodkie undrafted free agent. Besides Ferguson your DT's are a rookie and two 2nd year guys that have not played. If JOnes is ever out and Ferguson or Robertson are being rotated out, to trust your run D to Harper and Brown/Alexander would give me pause.
    I understand and agree with your concerns however in all fairness to Marvin, he IS A WARRIOR! He is not injury prone and has played for alot of years without getting hurt so the possibility of him needing to be replaced is remote at best so if we do sign 2 rookies they will have time to develop and Kelvin Moses is a reasonable back-up as well.

All Pro
    I am not talking about replacing him, he will play in critical downs, it is just that when your what 31-32, you need to take series off.
    Youc cant expect a guy to play all the downs on a 10-12 play drive. his effectiveness will be limited.

Jayrad, I rather have Huard running our offence than vinny running Hacketts. Smith might not be as good as the other three backs in the division but he is solid. McCrary is a beeter FB than Sowell also. The right hand side of our line is questionable for sure. but your RG is nothing to write home about.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I am not talking about replacing him, he will play in critical downs, it is just that when your what 31-32, you need to take series off.
    Youc cant expect a guy to play all the downs on a 10-12 play drive. his effectiveness will be limited.

Agreed Patman.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Vince Alexander is a converted SS out of Penn (university of)

Mark Brown is an LB out of Auburn

both of these guys are in camp for their speed - if both make the 53 man it will be a coup, more likely Mark Brown emerges out of the Kenyatta Wright/Kelvin Moses struggle, if he's lucky. Vince will be a PS player if he's lucky.

Khery Campbell has fair if not good job security and Jason Glenn has great job security.

lastly don't listen to a PATS fan about jack squat - they likely will pickup John Fiala the next time juice monkey Ted Johnson busts his bicep wiping his ass

Veteran
    Originally posted by patman@Jun 22 2003, 12:33 PM

Jayrad, I rather have Huard running our offence than vinny running Hacketts. Smith might not be as good as the other three backs in the division but he is solid. McCrary is a beeter FB than Sowell also. The right hand side of our line is questionable for sure. but your RG is nothing to write home about.
    My bad I ment your D line,but yeah you are right there are questions on your o-line as well. As far as huard over vinny thats your opinion. I would take Vinny. Vinny plays better coming off the bench then starting. I disagree with McCrary as well . Sowell has always been solid and actually quicker then anderson,but he had fumble probs right when he started coming on strong. He will be just as good as anderson. As far as Smith and your full back and your O- line and your D-line. whom are all shaky. We are talking about backups. So if you want to compare start with Jordan and Faulk and take it from there.
    By the way Jones just turned thirty this month I believe.

Banned
    Originally posted by jayrad01+Jun 22 2003, 02:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jayrad01 @ Jun 22 2003, 02:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--patman@Jun 22 2003, 12:33 PM

My bad I ment your D line,but yeah you are right there are questions on your o-line as well. As far as huard over vinny thats your opinion. I would take Vinny. Vinny plays better coming off the bench then starting. I disagree with McCrary as well . Sowell has always been solid and actually quicker then anderson,but he had fumble probs right when he started coming on strong. He will be just as good as anderson. As far as Smith and your full back and your O- line and your D-line. whom are all shaky. We are talking about backups. So if you want to compare start with Jordan and Faulk and take it from there.
    By the way Jones just turned thirty this month I believe. [/b][/quote]
    Jones turns 31, and Jones will only be on 1st and 2nd, then on passing downs it will be Glenn and Cowart.

Glenn is getting tons of reps at Strongside LB and Middle LB(his natural position).
    Glenn would start on some teams in this league. I guarentee that Glenn will be starting by 2004.

I have a really strong fealing about Mark Brown, he is a super quick, fast, good coverage LB who wasn&#39;t drafted because of an injury late in his senior season. He would have probly gone in th 5th round if he was still healthy. Browns problem was always not being consistant against the run.

I thought the JETS were going to draft Mark Brown or Mike Nattiel in the 5th round, but they didn&#39;t, o well.

I am still excited that the JETS got to have him as a Rookie FA.

The JETS have quietly injected alot of youth, speed, and future starters into the Linebacker corps. I know Vince Alexander is just a practice squader, i&#39;m not excited about him at all. But I know that Glenn and Hobson will be starting by 2004.

All Pro
    As a pats fan I would like them to pick up Fiala, he is a solid run stuffing ILB that is an excellent ST player. He was caught in a numbers crunch in Pitt who has the deepest LB corp in the NFL. As far as listening to a pat&#39;s fan I know just as much football as 90% of the posters on this site.

I never read anything about Glenn getting reps in the middle.

As Far as Sowel, please the guy is a bench player, I do not see him getting 55 receptions this year, you do? While McCrary has been opening up holes for LT for two years.
    Please show me where Vinny played well as a bench player? I dont recall him having any sucess coming in relieving in Clevaland/Baltamore and he was the starter in TB and NY.

All Pro
    Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind@Jun 22 2003, 03:34 PM

The JETS have quietly injected alot of youth, speed, and future starters into the Linebacker corps. I know Vince Alexander is just a practice squader, i&#39;m not excited about him at all. But I know that Glenn and Hobson will be starting by 2004.
    I can&#39;t see both Jones and Mo going out the door together. Mo may be a casualty, but that depends if Hobson develops like the coaching staff expects. I think Marvin sticks around an extra year, and probably gets at least 1st and 2nd down in 2004.

Veteran
    I like see an infusion of speed.....but Marvin will be a monster this year.........and next.

Go, Shadetree, Go &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'> :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'> :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'> :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'> :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

Banned
    Originally posted by patman@Jun 22 2003, 04:24 PM
    As a pats fan I would like them to pick up Fiala, he is a solid run stuffing ILB that is an excellent ST player. He was caught in a numbers crunch in Pitt who has the deepest LB corp in the NFL. As far as listening to a pat&#39;s fan I know just as much football as 90% of the posters on this site.

I never read anything about Glenn getting reps in the middle.

As Far as Sowel, please the guy is a bench player, I do not see him getting 55 receptions this year, you do? While McCrary has been opening up holes for LT for two years.
    Please show me where Vinny played well as a bench player? I dont recall him having any sucess coming in relieving in Clevaland/Baltamore and he was the starter in TB and NY.
    First of all, Vinny is a better pro QB than Damon Huard, who is fighting for his back-up job with Rohan Davey,

Second, Vinny has been to the playoffs twice, the AFC championship game, and 2 pro-bowls.

third, he is one of the all time leaders in yardage, completions, and touchdown passes.

Yeh, I&#39;d take Vinny over Huard anyday of the week.

About McCrary, he&#39;s as mediocre as you get with fullbacks, Marc Edwards is better than McCrary.

Sowell will not catch 55 passes, because the plays will not go to him. He&#39;ll catch 30 passes, which is fine. He has developed into a good pass catcher, he&#39;ll just be a safety valve for Chad, not a main target.

I read in at least 3 articles when Mo was out Glenn and Hobson got reps on the strongside, and Glenn got some, not tons of reps in the middle.

All Pro
    McCrary is a better FB than Sowell also.

Yah that&#39;s why you guys wanted to sign Sowell early on :lol:

Banned
    Originally posted by pope@Jun 23 2003, 01:50 PM
    McCrary is a better FB than Sowell also.

Yah that&#39;s why you guys wanted to sign Sowell early on :lol:
    Although McCrary did do a decent job running over just about every Patriot defender when LT had 200 + yds on the Panzys.

But then again Tim Dwight the little tiny reciever run over Ty Law also to make room for LT.

All Pro
    The pats did not make any effort to sign Sowell, Anderson yes.
    I did not try to say that Damon Huard was a better qb than Vinny or had more success than him in the past. What I said was that I am a lot more confident in Huard running the Patriots than most of the jet posters on this board had in Vinny running Hacketts offence.

The only reason Vinny is on the jets is that his contract precludes him from getting cut.