Thread: Yankees aquire ......

Banned
    Karim Garcia from Cleveland

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Indians traded outfielder Karim Garcia and pitcher Dan Miceli to the New York Yankees on Wednesday for a player to be named.

Garcia, who was just activated from the 15-day disabled list because of a wrist injury, was with the Yankees last season after being released by the Indians before spring training.

The 27-year-old was batting .194 with five homers and 14 RBI in 24 games. He sprained his wrist early in the season, but continued playing before going on the DL May 8.

Miceli was signed by the Indians on May 15 after being released by the Colorado Rockies. In 13 games with the Indians, the right-hander went 1-1 with a 1.20 ERA.

Undrafted Free Agent
    From Yahoo Sports:

The Cleveland Indians have traded Garcia and pitcher Dan Miceli to the New York Yankees in exchange for a player to be named later. The outfielder, who was activated from the disabled list earlier this week, is batting .194 with five homers and 14 RBI in 24 games this season. Garcia likely will serve as a backup in the Yankees' outfield. He could see a few starts until Bernie Williams is able to return from injury

Karim started and finished the 2002 season with the Indians, with a brief stop with the New York Yankees in between. Upon returning to Cleveland (via AAA Buffalo) after the Yankees let him go, Karim made the most of the opportunity. In 197 at-bats over 51 games, he hit .299 with 16 home runs and 52 RBI. Projected over 162 games, the latter two numbers would be 51 and 165. Karim showed flashes of potential in his first trial with Cleveland, hitting .311 with five home runs in 45 at-bats in 2001.

Maxman
    George Steinbrenner to Joe Torre, "I just won you the pennant".

Banned
    Originally posted by Maxman@Jun 25 2003, 06:17 PM
    George Steinbrenner to Joe Torre, "I just won you the pennant".
    Rainbow Trout :lol:

But seriously, these were a couple of nice "under the radar screen" moves

Miceli is a solid lefty veteran out of the pen and his numbers are decieving ... he has pitched to a 1.20 ERA since he left the thin air of Colorado for Cleveland.

And Karim Garcia led the entire league in 2002 with 52 RBI after August 6th ... THE ENTIRE LEAGUE!!

Also had 16 Jacks in that same time-span.

Now Garcia's numbers are downright awful this season, but the kid left spring training with a sprained wrist and tried to play through the injury since. The injury was hampering his swing too much, so the tribe finally placed him on the 15 DAY DL

Anyway, Garcia came off the DL today ... "IF" his wrist has sufficiently healed, this is a HUGE UPGRADE over the useless Charles Gipson

Basically, gives us another solid LH bat off the bench.

Banned
    And before JBF takes my words out of context, acusing me of making Karim Garcia sound like Barry Bonds {see, I read your mind JBF}, let me be clear ... Garcia was aquired to provide DEPTH OFF THE BENCH

And for THAT ROLL, this was a nice pick-up and a HUGE UPGRADE over Charles Gipson, who was totally useless.

OBTW, Gipson has already been designated for assignment, to make room for Garcia.

And Mike Thurman was sent down to make room for Miceli.

Banned
    For whatever it's worth, a tribe fan just posted on another board that the stint on the DL did the trick for Garcia ... yesterday he said "MY WRIST FEELS GREAT"

Maxman
    Personally I wanted Henderson back as the 5th outfielder. But I just realized why it could never happen. Ruben Sierra has his number (24).

Those 2 guys would never be able to work it out.