Thread: OT Another question for the "Trainers" here

All League
    Hey, I just got a new shift (working a Rescue Zone) and I now currently work a 18 hr shift on either t, th, sat and will soon be switching to m, w, fri. My question is how should I schedule/structure my gym days as far as what to work. I don't have the luxury anymore of going to the gym every day since my new shift is 6am to 12 pm instead of 9am to 9am so I can't go before or after work anymore.

Right now I do:

Mon: Chest/Biceps x30 min Cardio
    Wed: Back/Triceps x30 min Cardio
    Fri: Shoulders/Legs x30 min Cardio
    Sun: Forearms/Abs x45 min Cardio

I also try to do sprints or heavy bag and sit-ups on my work days as we have a bag and a nice grass field outside the staion.

I was wondering if this sounds like and efficient plan or if any of our more knowledgeable members here have some tips for improvment...

Thanks again, guys

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Back/Bic
    Chest/Tri...already using tri when workin chest
    Shoulders....abs
    Legs...abs

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I am not a trainer but I have been working out consistently for about a year and a half.

I do cardio every time, I work out. I am also obsessed with doing abs every time, I work out. Once you see a ceratin level of progress in one area, You get encouraged and want to maintain it.

My schedule is usually.

Monday-Chest and Biceps followed by cardio and abs
    Tuesday-Back and Triceps followed by cardio and abs
    Wednesday- Day Off
    Thursday- Legs followed by cardio and abs
    Friday- Shoulders and Forearms followed by cardio/abs
    Weekends off

If for whatever reason, I can't work out on a certain day of the week, then i change things up. If you only have 3 days. You may have to combine workouts. Like doing shoulders and legs on one day, chest and biceps on another day and back and triceps on another day.

Do you guys like to do cardio before you work on a specific area or after?

Veteran
    I wholeheartedly reccomend a rigorous regime of high repetions of 12oz curls.
    Repetion is the key! Once you feel like you reached an "advanced" level, you can then move onto "32 oz oil cans" as long as you maintain high reps.

Rookie
    One thing is that you can work Abs every time you work out...

Banned
    No you cant train abs every day. This is a popular mistake that some make. Your abs do heal faster, but I dont suggest training abs more then 2x in 6 days. Take 3 days off between ab days. Your traing does look good, but I dont suggest doing cardio on weight training days, but if you must then do it after and do it alot shorter. Do 12-15 minuts on the bike or treadmill in intervals of 30 second sprint, then 30 second jog. This program is found at musclemedia.com, and is called HIIT. JohnEjet's plan is good too, but your supposed to change it up and not always do chest with tri's. I also do Chest with Bi's and Shoulders with Tri's cause you use your tri's when doing shoulder presses as well. Just remember, your body adapts to anything after a long period of time so always change up your exercises to consistantly shock your muscles into growing. Dont do more than 8 sets for your tri's, 6 for bi's, 10 for chest, 10 for back, and 8-10 for shoulders....If you do more sets it can be counterproductive and will eventually lead to overtraining. Remember diet is the key, and eating 1gram of protien per pound of body weight is a must to grow.