Thread: 2 Nice Stories...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

STORY NUMBER ONE

Many years ago, Al Capone virtually owned Chicago.Capone wasn't famous for anything heroic. He was notorious for enmeshing the windy city in everything from bootlegged booze and prostitution to murder.

Capone had a lawyer nicknamed "Easy Eddie." He was his lawyer for a good reason. Eddie was very good! In fact, Eddie's skill at legal maneuvering kept Big Al out of jail for a long time. To show his appreciation, Capone paid him very well.. Not only was the money big, but Eddie got special dividends.

For instance, he and his family occupied a fenced-in mansion with live-in help and all of the conveniences of the day. The estate was so large that it filled an entire Chicago City block. Eddie
    lived the high life of the Chicago mob and gave little consideration to the atrocity that went on
    around him. Eddie did have one soft spot, however. He had a son that he loved dearly. Eddie saw to it that his young son had the best of everything: clothes, cars, and a good education.
    Nothing was withheld. Price was no object. And, despite his involvement with organized crime, Eddie even tried to teach him right from wrong. Eddie wanted his son to be a better man than he was. Yet, with all his wealth and influence, there were two things he couldn't give his son; that he couldn't pass on . . . . . a good name and a good example.

One day, Easy Eddie reached a difficult decision. Easy Eddie wanted to rectify wrongs he had done. He decided he would go to the authorities and tell the truth about Al "Scarface" Capone, clean up his tarnished name and offer his son some semblance of integrity. To do this, he would have to testify against The Mob, and he knew that the cost would be great. So, he testified. Within the year, Easy Eddie's life ended in a blaze of gunfire on a lonely Chicago Street. But in his eyes, he had given his son the greatest gift he had to offer, at the greatest price he would ever pay.

STORY NUMBER TWO

World War II produced many heroes. One such man was Lieutenant Commander Butch O'Hare. He was a fighter pilot assigned to the aircraft carrier Lexington in the South Pacific. One day his entire squadron was sent on a mission. After he was airborne, he looked at his fuel gauge and realized that someone had forgotten to top off his fuel tank. He would not have enough fuel to complete his mission and get back to his ship. His flight leader told him to return to the carrier.
    Reluctantly, he dropped out of formation and headed back to the fleet. As he was returning to the mother ship he saw something that turned his blood cold. A squadron of Japanese aircraft were speeding their way toward the American fleet. The American fighters were gone on a sortie, and the fleet was all but defenseless. He couldn't reach his squadron and bring them back in time to save the fleet. Nor could he warn the fleet of the approaching danger. There was only one thing to do. He must somehow divert them from the fleet. Laying aside all thoughts of personal safety, he dove into the formation of Japanese planes. Wing-mounted 50 calibers blazed as he charged in,
    attacking one surprised enemy plane and then another. Butch wove in and out of the now broken formation and fired at as many planes as possible until all his ammunition was finally spent. Undaunted, he continued the assault. He dove at the planes, trying to clip a wing or tail in hopes of damaging as many enemy planes as possible and rendering them unfit to fly. Finally, the exasperated Japanese squadron took off in another direction. Deeply relieved, Butch O'Hare and his tattered fighter limped back to the carrier.

Upon arrival he reported in and related the event surrounding his return. The film from the gun-camera mounted on his plane told the tale. It showed the extent of Butch's daring attempt to protect his fleet. He had in fact destroyed five enemy aircraft. This took place on February 20, 1942, and for that action Butch became the Navy's first Ace of W.W.II, and the first Naval Aviator to win the Congressional Medal of Honor. A year later Butch was killed in aerial combat at the age of 29.

His home town would not allow the memory of this WW II hero to fade, and so today, O'Hare Airport in Chicago is named in tribute to the courage of this great man. So the next time you find yourself at O'Hare International, give some thought to visiting Butch's memorial displaying his statue and his Medal of Honor. It's located between Terminals 1 and 2.

SO WHAT DO THESE TWO STORIES HAVE TO DO WITH EACH OTHER?

Butch O'Hare was Easy Eddie's son

Hall Of Fame
    That was on, man.

Good job. Nice post.

All Pro
    Whats an interesting story savage, I like it! tell me another one please! please!

All Pro
    What an interesting story....WOW!

Veteran
    great read savage!!!!!!!!&#33 ; I'm now printing this story for my son to read................. which by no means am I implying I'm a bad guy though

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

great stroy man...... really liked it... i just had my wife read it and she loved it also...thanks for the ink...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

i meant great story

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jetdawg@Jul 17 2003, 06:47 PM
    Whats an interesting story savage, I like it! tell me another one please! please!
    Ok Dawg just for you....

His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish
    farmer.
    > One day, while trying to make a living for his
    family, he heard a
    > cry for help coming from a nearby bog. He dropped
    his tools and ran
    > to the bog. There, mired to his waist in black muck,
    was a terrified boy,
    > screaming and struggling to free himself. Farmer
    Fleming saved the lad
    from
    > what could have been a slow and terrifying death.
    > The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the
    Scotsman's
    > sparse surroundings. An elegantly dressed nobleman
    stepped
    > out and introduced himself as the father of the boy
    Farmer Fleming had
    > saved. "I want to repay you," said the nobleman.
    "You saved my son's
    > life." "No, I can't accept payment for what I did,"
    the Scottish farmer
    > replied,
    > waving off the offer.
    > At that moment, the farmer's own son came to the
    door of the
    > family hovel. "Is that your son?" the nobleman
    asked. "Yes," the
    > farmer replied proudly. "I'll make you a deal. Let
    me provide him
    > with the level of education my son will enjoy. If
    the lad is anything
    > like his father, he'll no doubt grow to be a man we
    both will
    > be proud of."
    >
    > And that he did.
    > Farmer Fleming's son attended the very best schools
    and in time, he
    graduated
    > from St.
    > Mary's Hospital Medical School in
    > London, and went on to become known throughout the
    world as the noted
    > Sir Alexander Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin.
    > Years afterward, the same nobleman's son who was
    saved from the bog was
    > stricken with
    > pneumonia. What saved his life this time?
    Penicillin.
    > The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill.
    His son's name?
    > Sir Winston Churchill.
    >
    > Someone once said: What goes around, comes around.

What the Hell Dawg your worth 2 stories!!

Subject: Fwd: A Soldier Died Today

> He was getting old and paunchy
    > And his hair was falling fast,
    > And he sat around the Legion,
    > Telling stories of the past.
    >
    > Of a war that he once fought in And
    > the deeds that he had done,
    > In his exploits with his buddies;
    > They were heroes, every one.
    >
    > And 'tho sometimes to his neighbors
    > His tales became a joke,
    > All his buddies listened quietly
    > For they knew where of he spoke.
    >
    > But we'll hear his tales no longer,
    > For ol' Bob has passed away,
    > And the world's a little poorer
    > For a Soldier died today.
    >
    > He won't be mourned by many,
    > Just his children and his wife.
    > For he lived an ordinary,
    > Very quiet sort of life.
    >
    > He held a job and raised a family,
    > Going quietly on his way;
    > And the world won't note his passing,
    > 'Tho a Soldier died today.
    >
    > When politicians leave this earth,
    > Their bodies lie in state,
    > While thousands note their passing, And
    > proclaim that they were great.
    >
    > Papers tell of their life stories
    > From the time that they were young
    > But the passing of a Soldier
    > Goes unnoticed, and unsung.
    >
    > Is the greatest contribution
    > To the welfare of our land,
    > Some jerk who breaks his promise
    > And cons his fellow man?
    >
    > Or the ordinary fellow
    > Who in times of war and strife,
    > Goes off to serve his country
    > And offers up his life?
    >
    > The politician's stipend
    > And the style in which he lives,
    > Are often disproportionate,
    > To the service that he gives.
    >
    > While the ordinary Soldier,
    > Who offered up his all,
    > Is paid off with a medal
    > And perhaps a pension, small.
    >
    > It's so easy to forget them,
    > For it is so many times
    > That our Bobs and Jims and Johnnys,
    > Went to battle, but we know,
    >
    > It is not the politicians
    > With their compromise and ploys,
    > Who won for us the freedom
    > That our country now enjoys.
    >
    > Should you find yourself in danger,
    > With your enemies at hand,
    > Would you really want some cop-out,
    > With his ever waffling stand?
    >
    > Or would you want a Soldier--
    > His home, his country, his kin,
    > Just a common Soldier,
    > Who would fight until the end.
    >
    > He was just a common Soldier,
    > And his ranks are growing thin,
    > But his presence should remind us
    > We may need his like again.
    >
    > For when countries are in conflict,
    > We find the Soldier's part
    > Is to clean up all the troubles
    > That the politicians start.
    >
    > If we cannot do him honor
    > While he's here to hear the praise,
    > Then at least let's give him homage
    > At the ending of his days.
    >
    > Perhaps just a simply headline
    > In the paper that might say:
    > OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING,
    > A SOLDIER DIED TODAY
    >
    >

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good stuff!! The story of legends!!

Charter JI Member
    Thanks Savage, great stuff....

...do me a favor if you go to camp on Sat. afternoon 7/26 wear your "Savage 69" jersey, you will be the only guy I'll be able to find (from the pictures on Matt's board) I'll be away from a computer after tomorrow, and I want to meet you, and some of this crew if possible.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jetswin@Jul 17 2003, 09:35 PM

...do me a favor if you go to camp on Sat. afternoon 7/26 wear your "Savage 69" jersey, you will be the only guy I'll be able to find (from the pictures on Matt's board) I'll be away from a computer after tomorrow, and I want to meet you, and some of this crew if possible.
    Jetswin, are you really going to camp on Saturday? That's great! But, please don't moan about your browser problem........

Charter JI Member
    Originally posted by jetgirl+Jul 17 2003, 09:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetgirl @ Jul 17 2003, 09:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetswin@Jul 17 2003, 09:35 PM

...do me a favor if you go to camp on Sat. afternoon 7/26 wear your "Savage 69" jersey, you will be the only guy I&#39;ll be able to find (from the pictures on Matt&#39;s board) I&#39;ll be away from a computer after tomorrow, and I want to meet you, and some of this crew if possible.
    Jetswin, are you really going to camp on Saturday? That&#39;s great&#33; But, please don&#39;t moan about your browser problem........ [/b][/quote]
    Wow, I knew I got off to a bad start on this board

First I wanted my name (jetswin) then I complained about my browser&#33; How do I get off the "B" list? :lol:

jk, hope to meet you there as well Jetgirl, I&#39;ll be coming off a week on LBI, and hope to make it out there with the kids for the afternoon session. We did it last year and had a ball...no Jetsfest this year so the kids will have to concentrate on the x&#39;s and o&#39;s , maybe I&#39;ll leave them home&#33;

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jetswin+Jul 17 2003, 09:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetswin @ Jul 17 2003, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -jetgirl@Jul 17 2003, 09:39 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--jetswin
    @Jul 17 2003, 09:35 PM

...do me a favor if you go to camp on Sat. afternoon 7/26 wear your "Savage 69" jersey, you will be the only guy I&#39;ll be able to find (from the pictures on Matt&#39;s board) I&#39;ll be away from a computer after tomorrow, and I want to meet you, and some of this crew if possible.

Jetswin, are you really going to camp on Saturday? That&#39;s great&#33; But, please don&#39;t moan about your browser problem........
    Wow, I knew I got off to a bad start on this board

First I wanted my name (jetswin) then I complained about my browser&#33; How do I get off the "B" list? :lol:

jk, hope to meet you there as well Jetgirl, I&#39;ll be coming off a week on LBI, and hope to make it out there with the kids for the afternoon session. We did it last year and had a ball...no Jetsfest this year so the kids will have to concentrate on the x&#39;s and o&#39;s , maybe I&#39;ll leave them home&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Don&#39;t worry, you made it to the "A" list status in my book........but I really don&#39;t think Bren and I can stand you complaining about the browser thingy anymore..... :lol: :lol: