Thread: Yes, It's PANIC TIME!

All League
    Players report to camp TOMORROW. Alright Dewayne, but where is the movement on Hobson, Askew, and Walters? If they are not in camp tomorrow, does that qualify them as "hold-outs"? Or just mean the FO hasn't got around to them yet?

If the Jets are waiting for both Andre Johnson *3, and Terrance Newman *4 to sign before making a final offer to DR...

Cowboys | Negotiations with Newman Begin Next Week - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:39:54 -0700

Jean-Jacques Taylor, of the Dallas Morning News, reports that Dallas Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones and David Ware, the agent for first-round pick CB Terence Newman, have discussed parameters, but they will not begin serious negotiations until next week.

Two weeks from today there'll be a GAME to be played.

Geez!

Rookie
    Well HH, I've been having the same concerns the last few days. I was hesitant to hit the emergency button just yet. Here's hoping there's some progress over the weekend or early next week.

GO JETS!

All League
    I'm kind of shocked they didn't even get walters done yet. Lets all take a few deep breaths, i hope TB pulled an allnighter last night with these agents.

All League
    Every year we see what looks like no movement cross the league, then the day before camp, (almost) everyone is somehow miraculously signed. I still panic in the 11th hour, ANYWAY, full knowing the deals will get done.. lol

But this year we go in earlier than almost all the other teams, so waiting for the other teams to get it done means we go to camp without some rookies.

IF the FO's decision was NOT to let the early camp date pressure Mike Tannenbaum into doing anything he wouldn't have done based on a later date, FINE, I respect the decision. How lame it would be to start making concessions to rookies based on a totally meaningless game in Japan on August 2.

But tell us, the fans, that we can expect four rookies NOT to be in camp tomorrow. That wouldn't skew any deals.

All Pro
    Herm, As long as Robertson get at least two weeks of camp he should be ok. The pats camp ends the 13th when does the jets camp end? It shuld be about the same so as long as he is in by the 28th I dont think it will effect the team that much.

All League
    I hope the reason all the other picks besides dr not being signed has something to do with the Andre Johnson contract. I'm sure other GM's know the principle terms agreed to by the Texans and AJ, and now know what to negotiate off of. Maybe the front office is busy getting the Robertson cantract locked up now that AJ has set the market, and will worry about Askew, Hobson and Walters later.

All Pro
    All is well in Tampa where all of their picks have been signed. Let's hope Bradway and the Jets can get a little of Tampa's mojo.

All League
    Relax. I think most of these young guys don't want to compete with all these superior Japanese free agent signings.

Seriously-the Japan thing may be playing a role. It would be better if They were in camp. But no serious decisions are getting made for at least 3 weeks.

Can we start sending nasy e-mails to DR's So Effin' DUmb agent already? What a total tool. If it's a long holdout, way to go-piss off management and delay your development; piss off fans and cost yourself tons of easy NYC endorsement money; and at the same time, your salary is slotted. What is this holdout about? Look at last year's same position, adjust it for the upward percentage the cap went up, and let's be done with it. 10% of notning is nothing, dipstick.

One thing I've never understood is how come you can't turn on a radio in NYC without hearing Tiki Barber? He's overexposed, but you see the Gaints make a point of helping their players earn side money. Why don't they Jets promote guys like that?

All League
    The Robertson situation has me very concerned. Under a normal situation I wouldn't care, knowing the deal will get done in time. Robertson needs to be in camp. He is under a lot more pressure then the average 1st rounder. The Jets need him to contribute from opening day, thanks to Mr. Evans. I really like the McGlockton signing, but I don't want to see the whole thing dumped on him in the heat of the early season. Lets just keep our fingers crossed.

All Pro
    McGlothlin, will provide a backup for Ferguson, I doubt the Herm puts them on the field together in anything but goal line situations as neither have any lateral ability.

I really think that robertson will be contributing to the jets before McGlothlin will be. He is not even going to try to practice till he loses 25 lbs and get in some semblence of shape.

Veteran
    I don't think the Andre Johnson and Terrence Newman signings have anything to do with DR, but rather Mike William's big contract last year at the #4 slot.

Nonetheless, they ain't hold outs until they are hold outs.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

HH,

Right now there is now need to panic. Even if Robertson misses the start of camp, the Jets have a longer pre-season this year. 5 pre-season games is more than enough to get ready for the season.

All Pro
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Jul 19 2003, 11:42 AM
    All is well in Tampa where all of their picks have been signed. Let's hope Bradway and the Jets can get a little of Tampa's mojo.
    Of course, Tampa didn't have any first round picks to worry about. They do have some other problems, though. Sapp wants/needs a new deal. And Brian Kelly had been making some noise about holding out. He's in the second year of a six year deal. After leading the league in INT's last year, he's due to make only $1million. They did show up for camp yesterday though, but neither of them are happy about it.

Banned
    Originally posted by patman@Jul 19 2003, 12:39 PM
    McGlothlin, will provide a backup for Ferguson, I doubt the Herm puts them on the field together in anything but goal line situations as neither have any lateral ability.

I really think that robertson will be contributing to the jets before McGlothlin will be. He is not even going to try to practice till he loses 25 lbs and get in some semblence of shape.
    McGlockton can move well for a big guy when he has his wieght down to around 335 - 340. He still collapses the pocket, but not as well as he used to . Glock will rotate in with D-Rob and Fergie at the 3-technique and Nose.

Glock will most likely replace Fergie on passing downs.
    Glock could start in a pinch if D-rob holds out. On running downs the JETS will be tough, but if D-rob holds out, on passing downs the JETS will have trouble getting pressure up the middle.

I have faith that the JETS will sign D-Rob so he at least gets 2 weeks of camp.