Thread: Rams terminate contract of WR Terrence Wilkins

Hall Of Fame
    Code:
    Rams | Wilkins' Contract Terminated - from www.KFFL.com Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:01:01 -0700

According to John Clayton of ESPN.com, the St. Louis Rams have terminated the contract of WR Terrence ilkins. 

PERSONAL

Pro Career

Electrifying playmaker with breakaway speed ... one of the best kickoff and punt returners in the NFL ... can make a big play any time he gets his hands on the ball ... acquired by Rams 4/15/02 in trade with Indianapolis Colts for undisclosed draft pick ... originally signed as undrafted free agent by Colts 4/22/99.
    Didn't somebody post a link that had mistakenly publish Terry Bradway's direct line?

SIGN THIS GUY NOW!!!

Veteran
    He is very small a la Moss but this guy flies and can break it open..hell I know he did it against the Jets several times. Can he do kickoff returns as well? The only knock is size...and I since I am pushing for my boy Woodbury....he would need to do kickoffs for us as well.

Hall Of Fame
    but why'd they cut him???

All Pro
    SOMEBODY QUICK :o GET ON THE PHONE LINE WITH JETS TB FO....this guy use to play against US...

All Pro
    Gotta believe the Jets already know about this. The question remains - why was he cut? :blink:

Rookie
    Wilkens was terrible last year and looked very Dedric Ward-like. I would stick with what we have until first cuts.

Hall Of Fame
    WRONG.

Wilkens got released because he had trouble learning the St. Louis offense, and Martz got impatient w/ him, and dumped him. We all know how Martz is, he's pretty full of himself. Wilkens was a dinamite player in Indy, sure didn't have any problems w/ Manning.

He's still a KR, and was a damn good one. Admittedly I haven't followed his return game with the Rams, all I know is that he has experience, is young, and is still loaded w/ speed and talent.

He's better than anything the Jets have right now, despite Smart's potential.

BRING HIM IN TERRY!!!!!!!!!

Bitter
    Originally posted by stonehands@Jul 22 2003, 07:32 AM
    Wilkens was terrible last year and looked very Dedric Ward-like. I would stick with what we have until first cuts.
    So what you are saying is I can look forward to him being in a Patriots uniform by the end of the week? Hell, we might as well, if we sign enough WRs before preseason, we're bound to get 3 or 4 starters out of the lot. :lol:

No way we do not need another small WR, I say we go into this season with who we have.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I am not against signing Wilkins. I'd welcome it.

Terrence Wilkins in his first year with Indy looked like he was going to be an explosive playmaker in this league. He has faded ever since. Not close enough to the situation to tell you exactly why.

I know that The Rams are happy with Troy Edwards and their two draft picks Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald who both have solid hands and can return kicks.

Wilkins didn't replace Hakim in St.Louis and wore out his welcome because he couldn't pick up Martz's system.

I don't know if Wilkins is the answer for us. If all else fails for us at KR, Then he's worth a look.

Waterboy
    Wilkens would be a good fit. He may be small, but would you prefer to have WR who can only return kicks, or one who can play WR as well. If he is our KR and # 4, we can give the best WR of the rest a chance. Albert Johnsion can only really reurn kicks. That leaves it open between Swayne and Moore. What ever happened to Ataveous Cash? I liked him last year.

TomShane
    Doesn't he also have a ridiculous attitude problem as well???

Hall Of Fame
    No way we do not need another small WR, I say we go into this season with who we have.
    First of all, he's 5'10" and bigger than Smart, Morton, and most of the guys competing for the KR slot. And that is exactly what we need, a 4th or 5th WR who is a excellent return man.

He was an excellent 3rd WR for the Colts.

Sign him, Terry, at least bring him for a look.

Veteran
    Belial
    Wilkens would be a good fit. He may be small, but would you prefer to have WR who can only return kicks, or one who can play WR as well. If he is our KR and # 4, we can give the best WR of the rest a chance. Albert Johnsion can only really reurn kicks. That leaves it open between Swayne and Moore. What ever happened to Ataveous Cash? I liked him last year.
    Cash was cut from the team after preseason, I think he looked great in preseason but obviously the team knew something I didn't.

All Pro
    There was another thread where someone mentioned bringing in Desmond Howard as a kick returner. If that's in the gameplan )and I do not think it is) bring in Wilkins instead - younger, at least as fast, etc.

Personally, I'm not sure either one is needed if someone steps out as the kick returner.

All League
    TS, we're talking a about a former Colt/Ram, so this is an easy one to answer for me: Wilkens was no problem at all for the Colts; for the Rams, conversely, he was a huge problem both on and off the field.

His problems with the Rams, reportedly, stemmed from his inablity to learn the play book. Not only did he have a hard time learning the PB, he reportedly made very little effort to do so. As the year wore on, he became increasingly disruptive in the lockeroom. The Post Dispacth reported he was seen eating hotdogs from the consession stand during games. Finally, his reporting the Rams to the NFLPA was likely the final straw with the Rams*.

On the field, I think he caught only about 5 passes and averaged, I believe, barely 20 yards per kick return. This was a bring difference from his days with the Colts, when he was a much better return man on kickoffs.

I agree 100% with YJetsfan: If all else fails, Wilkins may be worth a look as a kick returner.

*Story was Wilkins was looking to get cut, so he reported Martz and the staff for running some informal, on-field workouts without pads that were not sanctioned OTA's. Because of that, the NFLPA forced the Rams to cancel a weekend mini-camp.....If true, this could be huge to his potential employment down the road: Would any coach really want him around?

Rookie
    Oh Yeah ... I can see the headlines now....

"PENNINGTON AND THE LOLLIPOP GUILD AIM FOR NEW HEIGHTS" ....

forget it.....

Rookie
    Originally posted by Ray Ray1@Jul 22 2003, 11:12 AM
    WRONG.

Wilkens got released because he had trouble learning the St. Louis offense, and Martz got impatient w/ him, and dumped him. We all know how Martz is, he's pretty full of himself. Wilkens was a dinamite player in Indy, sure didn't have any problems w/ Manning.

He's still a KR, and was a damn good one. Admittedly I haven't followed his return game with the Rams, all I know is that he has experience, is young, and is still loaded w/ speed and talent.

He's better than anything the Jets have right now, despite Smart's potential.

BRING HIM IN TERRY!!!!!!!!!
    Lets see, attitude problem, only active for 7 games last year, put the ball on the carpet twice on kick returns, averaged less per return than Leon Johnson and had 5 catches all season. I still say, let's stick with what we have until first cuts.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Aren`t there any 6`3 + GUYS out there for us ...