Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Skins fans....

Rookie
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, you 'raided' the JETS in the offseason. Now look where it got you? Can't pay your current players? Want to overpay for ours. Now you have to trade away your own players. Snyder, you are my hero. See you opening day.

BIG DADDY KNOWS 'SKINS ARE STUCK

The Washington Times reports that Redskins defensive tackle Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson ultimately has refused the team's request for a pay cut because he knows that the 'Skins don't have the stones to cut him.

The problem in D.C. is that the Redskins have no one to replace Wilkinson if they make good on threats to release Wilkinson, and there's no starting-quality free-agent available.

The Redskins are keeping a close eye on the situation in Chicago, where either Ted Washington or Keith Traylor are likely to be released before the start of the regular season.

Though we've reported recently that Washington will get the short straw in Chitown, we're now hearing that the front office is leaning toward keeping Washington and jettisoning Traylor.

Until someone else becomes available, the 'Skins are stuck with Wilkinson and his $3.5 million salary. But once an alternative hits the market, look for the Redskins to explore signing the new guy cheap -- and cutting Big Daddy loose.

All Pro
    :lol:

All League
    Dan Snyder grossly overpaid for our guys in the offseason-now he is balking at paying for Wilkinson-how ironic. I hope he is stuck with him and his $3.5 salary cap hit.

TomShane
    The only question remaining for next off-season is....

DO we want LaVar or do we want Champ?

HAHAHAHAHHAAA!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I don't know, as much as I despise The Skins.

Who would you rather have?
    Dan Wilkinson at 3.5 million or Keith Traylor at 1 million perhaps. Those two are pretty similar players.

I think, The Bears are so stupid for even considering dropping Washington or Traylor. Who do they have to replace them and #2, The Bears defense was at it's best two seasons ago when Traylor and Washington were going strong. The best thing about The Bears is Brian Urlacher and Mike Brown.

The Bears are going to be one of the league's worst teams this year. Kordell is not a very good QB and he doesn't have the weapons that he had in Pittsburgh. The Bears have no running game and their front office is clueless right now. Dick Jauron is being set up for a fall.

All League
    Originally posted by TomShane@Jul 23 2003, 01:58 PM
    The only question remaining for next off-season is....

DO we want LaVar or do we want Champ?

HAHAHAHAHHAAA!
    :lol: Arrington - With him & Abraham in the slot - OOH! :lol:

Rookie
    I think I'd rather have Champ - top flight corners are harder to come by then linebackers - but that is just my opinion.

Lavar would look good in green though...

Rookie
    Champ is just ridiculous

All Pro
    Snyder said, when he first sign BIG daddy YO from the Bengals, this is the missing piece to our SB puzzle that was more than five years and still no SB.WOW!

All Pro
    How does this have any bearing on next year or this year?
    I dont get it. So snyder does not want to pay a guy more than he is worth this year but he cant cut him becasue there is nobody better than him out there that he can sign for cheaper.

every team in the nfl has a player that they wished the could replace with a cheaper player. How does this have a bearing on Lavar or Champ next year? It seems like some guys are just be blinded by the dislike of the man.

Veteran
    Not for nothin', but isn't this article from Profootballtalk.com?

Cause, if I'm not mistaken (and I'm not) that's a website frequently called "innaccurate", "full of sh*t", and "anti-Jets" by prominent members of this board in the very recent past.

I'm just sayin' if you use a source for fodder in one argument, don't trash the source for the next argument.

BB

All Pro
    I think the original thought of the thread was concerning how Snyder has backed himself into a salary cap corner.

As for us getting Lavar or Champ that's a bit of a stretch.

As for Profootballtalk.com, they seem to be anti-everyone.

Banned
    Originally posted by Buffboy@Jul 23 2003, 11:41 PM
    Not for nothin', but isn't this article from Profootballtalk.com?

Cause, if I'm not mistaken (and I'm not) that's a website frequently called "innaccurate", "full of sh*t", and "anti-Jets" by prominent members of this board in the very recent past.

I'm just sayin' if you use a source for fodder in one argument, don't trash the source for the next argument.

BB
    Buffboy, Snyder does want to get rid of the salary, but it isn't going happen.

The media might be churning this up a little. Plus the skins D-Line is very average and would be a relly bad line if they got rid of Wilkinson.

They have decent depth at Tackle, but the other starter Brandon Noble is a bull dogg, but gets overpowered and is inconsistant. Then they over payed for DE Regan Upshaw?

Their defense could be in trouble without Daryl Gardener who really made a huge difference for them on defense.

All Pro
    Wouldn't it be great to see Big Daddy at the Jets training camp wanting to play for us if he got waived. Image the payback on that first game against Washington.

All Pro
    How does not wanting to pay wilkenson his full amount have anything to do with the cap? He is just not worth what they are paying him and want to reduce it.

Snyder and the skins made the playing year 2006 as a day of reckoning. They structured all the contracts so that the budget that year is so high that the team will be blown up, and then strart from scratch again. He set the team up for and made allowances for Bailey, although not Smoot that was why smoot was on the block this offseason.

Veteran
    Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind+Jul 23 2003, 11:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JetsD-Mastermind @ Jul 23 2003, 11:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Buffboy@Jul 23 2003, 11:41 PM
    Not for nothin&#39;, but isn&#39;t this article from Profootballtalk.com?

Cause, if I&#39;m not mistaken (and I&#39;m not) that&#39;s a website frequently called "innaccurate", "full of sh*t", and "anti-Jets" by prominent members of this board in the very recent past.

I&#39;m just sayin&#39; if you use a source for fodder in one argument, don&#39;t trash the source for the next argument.

BB
    Buffboy, Snyder does want to get rid of the salary, but it isn&#39;t going happen.

The media might be churning this up a little. Plus the skins D-Line is very average and would be a relly bad line if they got rid of Wilkinson.

They have decent depth at Tackle, but the other starter Brandon Noble is a bull dogg, but gets overpowered and is inconsistant. Then they over payed for DE Regan Upshaw?

Their defense could be in trouble without Daryl Gardener who really made a huge difference for them on defense. [/b][/quote]
    JDM;

no doubt. I think the Redskin&#39;s offseason moves were incredibly short-sighted and irresponsible...I also think that you guys will probably take them down in September.

My point is that you used a quote from a website to support what you were saying that has been blasted on this MB for being mis-informed (i.e. knee instead of shoulder injuries) and "anti-Jet".

Next time PFT posts something less-than-complimentary about the Jets, should I expect to hear again how they just suck and have an anti-NY bias?

BB

P.S. everything cool with your uncle?

Veteran
    lavar or champ?

hmmmm i&#39;ll take both please.

Banned
    Originally posted by Buffboy+Jul 24 2003, 08:21 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buffboy @ Jul 24 2003, 08:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -JetsD-Mastermind@Jul 23 2003, 11:47 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Buffboy
    @Jul 23 2003, 11:41 PM
    Not for nothin&#39;, but isn&#39;t this article from Profootballtalk.com?

Cause, if I&#39;m not mistaken (and I&#39;m not) that&#39;s a website frequently called "innaccurate", "full of sh*t", and "anti-Jets" by prominent members of this board in the very recent past.

I&#39;m just sayin&#39; if you use a source for fodder in one argument, don&#39;t trash the source for the next argument.

BB

Buffboy, Snyder does want to get rid of the salary, but it isn&#39;t going happen.

Their defense could be in trouble without Daryl Gardener who really made a huge difference for them on defense.
    JDM;

no doubt. I think the Redskin&#39;s offseason moves were incredibly short-sighted and irresponsible...I also think that you guys will probably take them down in September.

My point is that you used a quote from a website to support what you were saying that has been blasted on this MB for being mis-informed (i.e. knee instead of shoulder injuries) and "anti-Jet".

Next time PFT posts something less-than-complimentary about the Jets, should I expect to hear again how they just suck and have an anti-NY bias?

BB

P.S. everything cool with your uncle? [/b][/quote]
    Yeh, My Uncles fine, he&#39;s a big tough guy so he wasn&#39;t acting a little scared, but you could tell he was shaken up a bit.

Veteran
    good to hear.

I think we all (at least the males here) have a little of that macho after-the-fact thing sometimes.

BB

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by patman@Jul 24 2003, 08:18 AM
    How does not wanting to pay wilkenson his full amount have anything to do with the cap? He is just not worth what they are paying him and want to reduce it.

Snyder and the skins made the playing year 2006 as a day of reckoning. They structured all the contracts so that the budget that year is so high that the team will be blown up, and then strart from scratch again. He set the team up for and made allowances for Bailey, although not Smoot that was why smoot was on the block this offseason.
    Because Bailey is no sure thing - he&#39;ll be a very tight squeeze and may get franchised.

If Wilkenson slashes his money in 1/2, that money can go toward Champ&#39;s immediate extension. Also, Arrington&#39;s deal must be reworked as well. When you spread yourself so thin, these Wilkinson dollars are important.

But at the end of the day, Wilkinson knows the Skins DL is the weak link, and without him, they downright suck. No available DT can pick up the slack, so Wilkinson will stay, get paid in full, and get released next year post 6/1. All Snyder did was lose goodwill by laying down an empty threat to cut a veteran this late in July. BTW, this DL depth issue will become an achilles heel, b/c it&#39;ll be difficult to adequately address it via FA with their other signings.

But through it all, the Skins will still find a way to keep Champ, since their 3-year plan depends on him. Between his deal and Arrington&#39;s restructure, it&#39;ll be back-breakingly tight. You&#39;re right though, 2006 looks like the year of reckoning. If Snyder can somehow get by with an unproven QB, unproven HC and shaky DL and bring home a championship before 2006, it&#39;ll be well deserved.