Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's Practice! 7/26 Mock game

Hall Of Fame
    ... for those who can't get enough of these reports, or who don't have the fortune of being able to go to camp.

Okay.

Today's afternoon practice.

It was an 1:30 hour practice, they did some quick warmups and several drills to continue warming up, then broke into a couple of 7 on 7's, and a quick 11 on 11 drill before breaking off into a full mock game scrimmage, the team dressed in "shells," no pads, and went at about 75%, so it's really tough to guage anything, the practice was to perform in game conditions, where substitions are being made, and the different offensive and defensive teams are shuffling on and off the field.

Offense:

I thought Bollinger looked very good today, and really changed my initial impression of him from last Monday. He showed a pretty solid arm, outstanding poise, and really looks polished after only a week of training camp, making quick decisions, throwing the ball both downfield and underneath. I was impressed with how well he ran the offense, in all scenarious presented. Full field segments where a drive would start in "Jets territory," and in the 2:00 minute drill.

The 2nd and 3rd teamers got a lot of work. Bollinger really displayed why the coaches and Hackett are high on him. I was actually hoping to see Woodbury get some reps, but he didn't get any at all. Vinny and Bollinger got most of the work.

Pennington looked sharp in the breif segment he was in there. He's really working on the long ball, and getting the ball down field. I love watching him work. Several times, he's out there directing traffic, moving players around after reading the defense, poised in the pocket, he continues to look more polished every time out. He did miss Chrebet on a long sideline route, he overthrew him. I liked Pennington's chemistry w/ Conway.

Conway looked real sharp today, and was much more involved w/ the first team offense, compared to last Monday. Very smooth, making some tough catches over the middle, and on a endzone corner route.

Baker looked good as well. He looks to have added some size and strength this year, but really looks like a big WR out there. He ran a route downfield and to the corner of the endzone on a nice pass completion from Vinny.

Askew is a physical specimen. Really. This guy is huge and agile, and really shows some burst out of the backfield. Sowell is clearly our starter, but we really have a nice tandem w/ these two IMO.

Carter had a real pretty catch on a go route from about the 35 yd line, making an adjustment on the ball on the fly, splitting two defenders and making the catch for a score. What I liked most about the play was Carter's body language, and how well he adjusted to the coverage and the pass. The pass wasn't poorly thrown, I don't know who threw it, might have been Vinny, but it was just a good play by Carter. He also dropped a ball earlier in the scrimmage on a deep route that he should have had.

Carter, Moss, and Conway were the standouts. Moore didn't get a action, but played exclusively with both the 2nd and 3rd teams, working in and out w/ Swayne. Carter got the majority of the work behind Chrebet and Moss, but was also the #2 WR w/ the 2nd team w/ Moss on a number of occassions.

Nutten I thought looked good on the OL. Goodwin continued to display his much improved strength, going against Ferguson and Robertson on a number of occassions. Our OL will be stronger this year. It's true, last year, both Mawae and Thomas didn't really play until the 3rd pre-season game, the unit is fully in tact, and healthy (crashes palm on wood). Overall they look good. I was impressed w/ Yovanovits at LG w/ the 2nd team as well, he looks pretty polished for a rookie. Good news on the injury front, LS and OT, Bobby Brandt was practicing w/ a leg brace, the knee injury apparently wasn't that severe, but he didn't get a lot of work with the 2nd or 3rd teams, I think this guy has a real shot to make the team, becuase before he got hurt, he really showed me something on the OL, opposite of Brent Smith.

(defense continued below)

Hall Of Fame
    Part 2

Defense:

J Abraham, Hobson, Glenn, McGraw, Harper, and the secondary overall impressed today, and were the standouts for me.

Abraham looks ready to really breakout, he's becoming a leader as well, the other DE's are continually conversing w/ him on the sideline when he isn't on the field, Thomas was constantly hanging around him, as they each go over technique and hand checks on each other.

Hobson made an excellent read on a delayed hand off and stuffed Jordan in the backfield on one play, it was just a great read, and his burst at the start of the play was impressive.

Harper also got some good penetration, slicing through on one play nad getting credited w/ a sack, and an assist from Glenn on the same play.

McGraw is looking much faster on the field, both wih his natural speed, and most importantly, with his vision in the backfield, making good reads, and getting good anticipation on an evolving play. He had a couple of stops near the LOS, and looked outstanding in coverage.

I was happy to see Jason Glenn get so much playing time w/ the 2nd team, and was with the first team nickel and dime defense quite a bit. He's gotten bigger this year, and looks real fast, I think this guy can be one of our defensive sleepers this year.

I liked what I sawa gain from Carter, and Henderson looked good today, playing exclusively at CB.

Loved what I saw of Albert Johnson today, both at KR and PR. I didn't see much when I went last Monday, but he defintely stood out today. I also liked the work Smart got in today at KR, this guy is so close to Morton in build and speed it's scary, but he's raw. Johnson would be our KR and back-up PR if the season started today, no question.

I didn't like today's performance by Stryzinski, he had one good kick and a couple of underwhelming kicks. All 3 Kickers looked pretty good. I liked the guy Kight, he's got a strong leg, looking forward to seeing this guy in the pre-season when it matters.

Nothing flashy by Robertson, looks to be settling in nicely w/ the first team though.

Got a real good lock of McGlockton on the sidelines. I don't think he's far away at all. He's gut a gut on him, but this guy looks strong, his legs are cut up and sick looking. I actually thought he looked to be in pretty good shape. He didn't dress, but he followed the DL anywhere it went, whether it was moving from one side of the field to the other, when the DL jogged from one station to the other, he jogged w/ them. I think he starts practicing right after they get back from Tokyo. He's working out twice a day now. I mean he's a DT ferchrissakes, he's a big man, he can probably lose about 20 lbs in two weeks once he puts his pads on.

Again, the team wasn't going at full speed, but the players mentioned stood out. Thinking about going again on Monday before they depart for Japan, Monday's practice should be a good one to go to, I don't know how they plan on practicing once they get to Japan, but after having tomorrow off, or strictly for conditioning and weight training, I figure Monday's practice will be a good one.

Jets Insider VIP
    JI Staff Photographer

I was wondering if the Jets take everyone at camp to Japan. That's got to be close to 100 players, plus coaches & staff.

TomShane
    Excellent stuff, Ray Ray. Thanks for the awesome, in-depth reporting. And thanks for the Yovanovitz mention!

All Pro
    Good stuff thanks Ray.

All Pro
    excelent report

All Pro
    excelent report

Hall Of Fame
    What was that?

:lol:

Thanks, patman!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Great Read Ray thanks..

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

sounds like things are coming together nicely ,thaks ray.

All Pro
    Thanks again RR1 for this update

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

On one series, Dallas Neal made several catches and even scored the TD. Swayne is in for a battle for his roster spot. Jonathan Carter and Cecil Moore will give him a run. Made a bet w/ Limo Lady and 4HCrew. I've got Moore for a bottle of bourbon. LL has Swayne for champagne, 4H JC for rum. Swayne is the incumbent, so he has the inside track.

All Pro
    So much pressure on Robertson to take this defense to the next level,i wonder if it wouldn`t be in his and the team`s best interest to start Harp[er over him,and bring him along slower.We have 5 preseason Games,and the object is to get him ready for the season,not the preseason.If Evans were still with the Team,Robertson would be coming off the bench,so why not revert to the original plan since Harper`s more intuned with the defensive scheme having spent an entire season in it already.By the Skins game,Robertson`s confidence should be skyhigh,or his head could be spinning from all he`s got to learn and all the expectations and pressure.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Great report RayRay, Thanks a bunch!

Great read, keep up the good work.

All League
    Gosh Ray, a tour de force. Taking the time to share your impressions in such detail.

all you camp reportin guys are just flippin great. It IS appreciated!

and you gal Jets fans who have been taking in practices - would LOVE to read your impressions too...

One of today's media reports mentioned it was "curious" Fergy has been on the field with both the first and second teams. It's not like there aren't enough bodies available..

I attribute having Fergy out there to the CS's desire to have every young lineman familiar and even comfortable with working alongside Jason...he will be our NT for probably 70% of the snaps this year, even when McGlockton is ready to spell both DR and JF. The coaches must want, in particular, to get Dewayne and Fergy in a seamless groove together.

I'm happy Jason was one of the "stars" of yesterday's mock game. We need a big performance out of Butterball this year.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Thanks!!! Being out here on the LEFT COAST, I don't get to here much about the practices. Thanks to the DIE HARDS here, I get my fill. Thanks again.

Banned
    Originally posted by HermsHerald@Jul 27 2003, 11:16 AM
    One of today's media reports mentioned it was "curious" Fergy has been on the field with both the first and second teams. It's not like there aren't enough bodies available..

I attribute having Fergy out there to the CS's desire to have every young lineman familiar and even comfortable with working alongside Jason...he will be our NT for probably 70% of the snaps this year, even when McGlockton is ready to spell both DR and JF. The coaches must want, in particular, to get Dewayne and Fergy in a seamless groove together.

I'm happy Jason was one of the "stars" of yesterday's mock game. We need a big performance out of Butterball this year.
    NJO.com {Star Ledger}

Veteran NT Jason Ferguson took his regular reps with the first team and additional reps with the second team ..... Edwards said Ferguson needed the extra work for conditioning.

Sounds like JF has followed his usual pattern of reporting to camp a tad out of shape? <_<

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by HermsHerald@Jul 27 2003, 11:16 AM
    and you gal Jets fans who have been taking in practices - would LOVE to read your impressions too...

HH, the guys are doing such a great job at reporting, there really isn&#39;t much more to say, I agree with everything they said........

The punting/kicking has alot of work, but we will get there.........Bollinger looked awesome so that gives us 3 quality QB&#39;s.......the WR&#39;s looked fantastic, what can you say about Curtis and Lamont.......great as always........

I disagree with 4-H though......... Swayne IS NOT GETTING CUT&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Carter is....... As a matter of fact 4-H, I saw him packing his bags this morning, he said something about going to Disney World.......... :lol:

And the fans, well, what can I say about us.........just awesome.......

JetsInsider.com Legend
    rayray you are awesome thanks so much for the info it is much appreciated. its gotten to the point that when i go to the net i go here first there is more relavant news here than ANYWHERE ELSE

if you haven&#39;t been, please all remember to leave something on Gannon&#39;s chest every now and again. There are pay services that don&#39;t rival the quality of info found on this site

and thanks of cource to RayRay, Flow and the others giving up to the minute camp updates. you guys make my day