Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Waive Tory Woodbury

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Saw this coming...

NEW YORK JETS WAIVE
    QB TORY WOODBURY

Hempstead, N.Y. - The New York Jets announced today they have waived QB Tory Woodbury. The announcement was made by Jets' General Manager Terry Bradway.

Woodbury, a 6-2, 208-pound QB from Winston-Salem State University played in 12 games during his two seasons with the Jets, registering eight special team tackles and making one reception for 13-yards. Woodbury joined the Jets in 2001 as a rookie free agent.

The Jets' active roster currently stands at 85 players as their training
    camp is underway at their year-round training facility in Hempstead, New
    York. The Club will open its pre-season schedule when they travel to Tokyo, Japan to face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the American Bowl on Saturday, August 2.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    see-ya tory

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

"Tanks for nuttin' "

All League
    Bollinger performance sealed his fate. Not good enough at quarterback or wide receiver-I think that this is still a reflection of the more talented players we have in camp this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

I had a feeling this was coming .I felt had hegotten the attention CHAD had he would have been good ,but with as good as bolger has been doing and plenty of WR`s I felt his days were numbered .GOOD LUCK ELSE WHERE TORY.

All League
    joisey pretty much summed it up. Woodbury really pushed the QB issue foreclosing on WR. This year's crop of UDFA WRs along with Bollinger sealed his fate. His resume isn't very impressive. Maybe he will catch on with another team but Tory should give serious consideration to what life wll be after Pro Football.

Veteran
    1) BOLLINGER
    2)I think they like the kid and want him to end up SOMEWHERE so they cut him loose early so he has a chance(albeit slim) to do that.

All League
    Originally posted by Shadetree@Jul 28 2003, 04:25 PM
    1) BOLLINGER
    2)I think they like the kid and want him to end up SOMEWHERE so they cut him loose early so he has a chance(albeit slim) to do that.
    Or they didn't want to pay the plane fare to Japan.

Veteran
    You'd think he could at least gotten to go to Japan. Don't forget we have the QB from Central Florida too.

All Pro
    After what I saw on Saturday from Brooks that was enought to seal TORY`s stay with US. I mean this kid is for real...he`s got poise in the pocket man!
    I hope this move dosent come back and bite us on our ARSE! ala
    (JEFF BLAKE) good luck Tory it was nice having you here with us man.

Veteran
    The move does not surprise me but I wish the Jets could have found something to do with him...seems to be a great athlete but just kept getting bounced around in a difficult offense to learn. I remember Herm saying in the offseason that he liked his progress at WR and then he was back to qb... oh well..best of luck..Tory...I am sure you will be a Patriot soon.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by 4HCrew@Jul 28 2003, 05:27 PM
    The move does not surprise me but I wish the Jets could have found something to do with him...seems to be a great athlete but just kept getting bounced around in a difficult offense to learn. I remember Herm saying in the offseason that he liked his progress at WR and then he was back to qb... oh well..best of luck..Tory...I am sure you will be a Patriot soon.
    Next up to be waived, J. Carter....... :lol: :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

I was thinking a DOLFAG after griese`s dog knocks him out for a few weeks again .And if his dog did that what do you think J.A.& D.R. will do to him ..lol

All League
    I agree that the timing of this thing is pretty weird. I've suggested since last season that Tory would eventually be gone, but I never figured it would happen in training camp where teams are allowed to keep like 80 or 85 players :o

Here's why I felt he was going to be cut: At QB, the Jets pretty much tipped their hand how they felt about him when they got Todd Husak to be the #3 last season.

At WR, I just felt there was no tangible evidence to suggest he was ever going to be real good, or even decent. First of all, the vast majority of these postion change projects fail. Also, the very few that do workout (Tony Martin, Drew Bennett, Rod Smith), seem to show an immediate spark or burst in pre-season games or as backups. Tory never did anything......Did he ever even have a reception as a WR?

All Pro
    I think the reason they didn't atleast keep him around for Japan was they ultimately knew he would be waived, so giving him time in a preseason game would take time away from someone else such as bollinger.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by LAJET@Jul 28 2003, 04:51 PM
    You'd think he could at least gotten to go to Japan. Don't forget we have the QB from Central Florida too.
    that's the real reson right there...

Marquell blackwell played college w/ Herm's son on SO_FLA ad apparently he doesn't suck (camp heads? any1 notice Blackwell?)

i sense a vibe there but with Tory it was always negatives...

i think Tory Woodbury actually could play in the league, just not here and not under this system. In a wheely dealie mike vick, Aaron Brooks O he might have a shot but in this system where everyones telling him no way you should run... there just wasn't a future there at QB

he is a good athlete though... hopefully he'll benefit from a change of scenery - like Europe... with Blackwell as the Europe guy - also perhaps he was a locker room cancer, or the JETS wanted to do right by him (yeah right) any way you look at it, it wasn't gonna work out for Tory here in NY.

Hall Of Fame
    damn, didn't even get to eat his "fortune cookie" , oh well good luck Tory

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Best of luck to Tory.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Best of luck to Tory. He's a heck of a special teams player. Someone should give him a shot. He's a very good 3rd string QB to have on the roster because you can dress him to play specials and he's a really good athlete.

Letting Tory go this early means a couple of things.

#1- The Jets feel like one of their remaining players at WR can play specials on the same level as Tory. Reports have been coming out that Kevin Swayne has been doing a great job in that area. This also opens things up for Cecil Moore and company.

#2- The Jets want to give Tory a chance to catch on somewhere else.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by bitonti@Jul 28 2003, 07:03 PM
    (camp heads? any1 notice Blackwell?)

Didn't notice him get any reps.

Tory looked kinda mopy while signing autographs, so I guess I shoulda seen it coming. Just thought that his athleticism would find him a place on the team somewhere.