Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Backup QB In The League

All Pro
    All of this talk about 1st string QBs has reminded me of one thing, your favorite starting QB is only 1 missed block away from having the second stringer come in. If anything has been demonstrated in the past 5 years, it's the need for a strong and competent backup QB. (See 1999 Jets, 2001-2002 Rams)

So I pose the question:

Who is the best backup QB in the league? Who is the guy that could step in as #2 and give you #1-like performance?

I vote for Vinny. Not because I am a biased Jets fan, but because he is a proven and established former starter. He can play in pressure situations, he's not in fear of '1st team speed' like someone else who has never started before. He's been there, done that, and if with another team, would probably still be starting. Whereas other teams have unproven backup QBs who jave yet to be tested in a real life game situation, the Jets know they can turn to VT and probably (let's hope) not miss an offensive beat.

All Pro
    I think Huard is the better fit for the Patriots gameplan.

I think VT is a probably the odds on favorite to be the most dependable.

I think Griese has the most upside.

I think the Jills and whomever is backing up Drew stand the best chance to implode if the starter goes down.

Veteran
    I seem to remember the Rams and the Browns having some success with their backups.

All Pro
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Aug 6 2003, 12:20 PM
    I think Huard is the better fit for the Patriots gameplan.

I think VT is a probably the odds on favorite to be the most dependable.

I think Griese has the most upside.

I think the Jills and whomever is backing up Drew stand the best chance to implode if the starter goes down.
    With Weis' offense, I can see Huard doing ok.

Griese can step in as well as a #1, which I still think he will end up doing without an injury to Fiedler.

As for Alex Van Pelt leading the Jills to victory....I just don't see that one happening.

All Pro
    Originally posted by LAJET@Aug 6 2003, 12:22 PM
    I seem to remember the Rams and the Browns having some success with their backups.
    What's ironic is that much like the Mirer fiasco of 1999, they found them a little too late to pay off.

Veteran
    This is easy. Whoever loses the starting job in Cleveland. You either have a top 3 pick in Tim Couch or Kelly Holcomb who threw for almost 400 yards in a playoff game.

Rookie
    i like vinny but not as much in this offense. griese should be ok. philly didn't skip a beat when mcnabb went down last year. flutie if he didn't retire,not sure if he did or not. lot's of good ones out there. probably couch or holcomb would be my best bet.

Veteran
    Here's my list:

1.) Kelly Holocomb
    2.) Vinny Testaverde
    3.) Marc Bugler
    4.) Brian Griese
    5.) Trent Dilfer
    6.) Neil O'Donnell
    7.) Charlie Batch
    8.) Byron Leftwich (Brunell is better now...but he could be very good)
    9.) Jon Kitna (He may be on par with Palmer right now..but not later on)

All Pro
    Originally posted by Minkaveli@Aug 6 2003, 12:24 PM
    This is easy. Whoever loses the starting job in Cleveland. You either have a top 3 pick in Tim Couch or Kelly Holcomb who threw for almost 400 yards in a playoff game.
    I think Cleveland is in the same boat as us, having a starter on the bench. Although theirs is much younger. That's an interesting battle brewing in Brownsland. No one is saying a peep and the two are getting antsy for one of them to be names starter. I think they have quite a dilemma on their hands.

Hall Of Fame
    Rams, Cleveland, Jets, Dolphins, PERHAPS Jacksonville and Cincy this season, Pats and Philly probably have the best, although personally, I hate Koy Detmer and don't think he'd be that good over the long haul. AJ Feely blows, I don't care what his record was - he was on a good team.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Hyped@Aug 6 2003, 12:27 PM
    Here's my list:

1.) Kelly Holocomb
    2.) Vinny Testaverde
    3.) Marc Bugler
    4.) Brian Griese
    5.) Trent Dilfer
    6.) Neil O'Donnell
    7.) Charlie Batch
    8.) Byron Leftwich (Brunell is better now...but he could be very good)
    9.) Jon Kitna (He may be on par with Palmer right now..but not later on)
    Not a bad list actually. Only thing is Charlie Batch. I think he is suspect. As much as I like the guy since we both graduated from Eastern Michigan in 1996, I don't think he can take over a season. Come into a game and win it yes, become the new starter and lead the team to more victories....I'm not sure.

All Pro
    I am not sold on Holcomb. He had one great game against the KC defense. Then he tore up the Cincy defense. Then he plummeted back to earth against Baltimore and ATlanta. If he pulls a 92 rating for 16 games as oppssed to two starts against Cincy and KC, I will see your point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Interesting Question...Most people would say Vinny BUT..
    Only if they use the Plays that Vinny can excel in..Bollinger
    is probley better leading a West Coast offense and Vinny
    can excel doing his version of Run and Gun..Lets hope we
    never have to find out... :unsure:

All League
    Dilfer. If/when healthy, of course. Hasselbeck is the starter still, isn't he?

Veteran
    You're not impressed with Holcomb in the snow against Pittsburgh in the playoffs at Pittsburgh. Cleveland should've won that game.

Veteran
    buerlein still in denver???...he'll do alright if Plummer goes down
    Griese is better than Fiedler.
    Vinny's da man.

Veteran
    Rohan Davey....he should be the stahtah!

Waterboy
    Bulger
    Holcomb
    Dilfer
    Buerlein
    Griese
    ODonnell
    Tesataverde
    Batch

Whoever mentioned Kitna as a backup is forgeting he is the starter this year. Palmer really won't play until next year at least.

TomShane
    The best Back-up QB in the league is Tom Brady, except for the fact that he starts. For now.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Minkaveli@Aug 6 2003, 04:38 PM
    You're not impressed with Holcomb in the snow against Pittsburgh in the playoffs at Pittsburgh. Cleveland should've won that game.
    I am not sold on him.

Maybe he was a late developer like Maddox. Maybe it finally started to click for him. Lynn Dickey once explained his career to a radio station here that he did not understand the game until he had a coach explain it in terms he understood. Maybe that is Holcomb. He finally got a QB coach he understands. In 1997 he had 1 TD and 8 INTs. He did not make a team from 1998 through 2000. The last two years he has progressed, but not to the point I would not be worried.