CB5: Andrew Davison
    -- (47)
    S1: Sam Garnes
    S2: Jon McGraw
    S3: Tyrone Carter
    S4: Derek Pagel
    -- (51)
    P: Dan Strysinski
    K: Doug Brien (Kasay when season starts)
    -- (53)

TOUGH CUTS:

OG Moore
    LB Moses
    WR Swayne

PS:
    DE Simon
    LB Brown
    OG Yovanovits
    S Alexander
    QB Blackwell

All Pro
    Pretty fair assessment, might very well end of being the 'Real' roster. Nice work Bit

All League
    I think it looks about right maybe too many tight ends..

IMO one less tight end and keep yovantis...our guards are old!!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Nice & fair job with the projections.

I'm hoping we can either keep 6 WR or fit McGeoghan in there. From what I heard he is having a great camp & I'm pulling for him. Sounds like a nice changeup from our other WR's, having a little more size & running power too.

Nice to see Smart there!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Very good list Bitonti.

I think that some of the backup linebacker spots are in question. I don't see Kenyatta Wright making the team for some reason.

If The Jets don't find an alternative at kicker. It's possible and has been mentioned that The Jets may keep two kickers on the roster, one to kickoff and one to kick field goals. Both Bradway and Westhoff mentioned this possibility in recent interviews.

I think that Albert Johnson is going to make the team as KR because he also returns punts. The Jets need a backup for Moss in case anything happens. If Johnson makes the team, Two guys who could lose their roster spots are Cecil Moore and Ian Smart.

Kevin Swayne could make this roster by default if one of the young guys don't emerge. I don't know if McGeoghan, who has had a good camp can be placed on the practice sqaud because he has already spent alot of time there in his career.

The Jets need a 5th RB, preferably a third HB and I'd like to see Smart get that job.

I'd feel more comfortable with another veteran tackle on the roster. I have no idea what Brent Smith and Chris Smith can give this team if Fabini or McKenzie go down to injury. Plus, it looks like Brent Smith could start at guard! He's playing with the first team right now there ahead of Goodwin.

On your list, The Jets could use an extra safety but I guess, Henderson can pull double duty at corner and safety.

Too bad, Yova can't play Center. Machado gets a spot probably because he can.

All Pro
    Mcgeoghan Makes the team,and Mark brown doesn`t last 1 week on the practice squad,so I put him on the roster and cut wright provided Brown can come back next week and continue to excell like he did before his hammy injury.I think we keep 10 Offensive linemen,and 3 TE`s.Also I think we keep 10 DBs.

Rookie
    "I think it looks about right maybe too many tight ends.."

I agree, I would take away a tight end and add a wide receiver.

All League
    Bit,

QBs - fine

HBs - minus Smart. As was mentioned yesterday, Askew is a TB/FB hybrid and can serve as third down/change of pace back. Smart to the PS, If he doesn't clear, Reese.

FBs - fine. It may seem dangrous going with just five backs overell, but in case of unjury, plenty of guys the quality of a Reese or smart are out there.

WO -I think McGeoghan makes it at 5. We carry "6" by taking Albert Johnson.

Oline looks good. But from what I've heard, Knish has a chance to make it. The casualty would be C. Smith, and we still don't know how healthy B. Smith is. If he's fine, what a plus he would be.

TE - agreed. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I hope Reid gets in.

Dline - looks right.

LB - it looks like Moses is man out. I think Brown over Wright tho, if healthy.

Secondary - Pagel was a draft pick, But if he doesn't step it up, I think they'll risk putting him on PS and bring in Green.

Rookie
    What about Evans when ready will there be enough space for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The bottom line is that The Jets need to have a long snapper on this team. James Dearth who isn't the most desirable player on the roster, gets a spot over somebody else based on his long snapping, which is a crucial element towards winning football games. If you are not straight there, you could lose games based on it.

If you just "take away a tight end" it can't be Dearth because he is our long snapper. Unless The Jets find someone else and even if they do, That person gets an automatic roster spot.

Machado gets a spot also only because he is the only guy who can back up Kevin Mawae if he gets hurt. You have to him on the roster unless you wanna go out and find another center.
    It also helps Machado that he has experience as a starter at guard.

Versatility is the name of the game.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Bit.....

a few weeks ago you were high on Brinker.......have you heard or seen something that takes way from that "positive" feeling??

Also, unless Smart makes it on his KR abilities........he is on the PS!!

All League
    Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Aug 7 2003, 12:48 PM
    The bottom line is that The Jets need to have a long snapper on this team. James Dearth who isn't the most desirable player on the roster, gets a spot over somebody else based on his long snapping, which is a crucial element towards winning football games. If you are not straight there, you could lose games based on it.

If you just "take away a tight end" it can't be Dearth because he is our long snapper. Unless The Jets find someone else and even if they do, That person gets an automatic roster spot.

Machado gets a spot also only because he is the only guy who can back up Kevin Mawae if he gets hurt. You have to him on the roster unless you wanna go out and find another center.
    It also helps Machado that he has experience as a starter at guard.

Versatility is the name of the game.
    It's versatility, including ST ability, and also - do you complement what the other guy at your position CAN'T DO, or doesn't do well?

Reid is a long shot at TE. Dearth gets in based on his snapping.

Becht and Baker are givens. But Westhoff had an interesting quote in today's press. He said Baker's "physical play" on specials was so bad last year he wondered how he had been drafted in the third. Coach W actually said "I thought he must have a relation in the scouting dept." Check it out. LOL

We know Baker HAS been reported to have stepped it up blocking wise. But unless he's done a complete 180, Becht's having stepped it up reception/conditioning wise, means Becht keeps the starting job.

The question for Reid is how does he compete? What is most important now for him to shine in? Specials, of course, but does he have more chance as a GOOD receiver, GOOD blocker, or PRETTY GOOD BALANCED TE. Hard to say, and Hackett's play design and how Reid fits in will probably decide his fate.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    You look pretty damn close to me Bit, the only thing I would question is Salem Simon. If he keeps playing the way he did in Tokyo he just might make the rotation.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by YoungJetsFan@Aug 7 2003, 12:28 PM
    Very good list Bitonti.

I think that some of the backup linebacker spots are in question. I don't see Kenyatta Wright making the team for some reason.

If The Jets don't find an alternative at kicker. It's possible and has been mentioned that The Jets may keep two kickers on the roster, one to kickoff and one to kick field goals. Both Bradway and Westhoff mentioned this possibility in recent interviews.

I think that Albert Johnson is going to make the team as KR because he also returns punts. The Jets need a backup for Moss in case anything happens. If Johnson makes the team, Two guys who could lose their roster spots are Cecil Moore and Ian Smart.

Kevin Swayne could make this roster by default if one of the young guys don't emerge. I don't know if McGeoghan, who has had a good camp can be placed on the practice sqaud because he has already spent alot of time there in his career.

The Jets need a 5th RB, preferably a third HB and I'd like to see Smart get that job.

I'd feel more comfortable with another veteran tackle on the roster. I have no idea what Brent Smith and Chris Smith can give this team if Fabini or McKenzie go down to injury. Plus, it looks like Brent Smith could start at guard! He's playing with the first team right now there ahead of Goodwin.

On your list, The Jets could use an extra safety but I guess, Henderson can pull double duty at corner and safety.

Too bad, Yova can't play Center. Machado gets a spot probably because he can.
    YJF,

No way Johnson beats out Smart, the guy is just too damn frail, one hit and he's down. That's not the case with Smart and if you've been following the reviews of these 2 guys, I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by RoadWarrior@Aug 7 2003, 12:40 PM
    What about Evans when ready will there be enough space for him.
    when Evans is ready they will have to cut someone... for now he is on the suspended list which doesn't count against the 53 man

i think in general James Reed has to be considered on the bubble when Evans comes back - it really depends how crucial he is in Westy's ST - cause the FO can't have much faith in a guy when they sign Chester, draft DRob etc etc

---

overall these are good comments - some responses

if Reid keeps making plays they won't be able to find a reason to cut him. Dearth is obviously here (i think he's signed up to a 10 year deal) but all in all if the JETS use more 2TE sets it will be good depth

another tough call was the OL - i don't know if Chris Smith will make it but i figure at least 1 of the Europe standouts (brandon moore the other one) will make it if not both. Yovanovitz can hang out on the PS, no one will swoop on him there

Mark Brown is a great athlete but as GJ&H pointed out on another thread has a history of being injured - you look at a guy like Mo Lewis who could probably play with a gunshot wound he's that tough, and Cowart also plays through pain, durability is a scoutable attribute just like strength and speed. He might get healthy but will he stay that way? PS at best.

WR was a tough call of course i think Carter is a true deep threat - and in the end Cecil Moore has too much upside for them to just cut loose - he has size, catches balls in traffic, what more could you want? Swayne has had alot of chances to show his stuff i just don't think he makes it, MacGeoghan also just barely misses the cut

Pagel i agree is not looking real great now but all they want him to do is ST right now (and maybe exclusively in the future) i think by the end of camp he will be up to speed at least on ST - don't forget how attached Bradway gets to the draft picks - Pagel was the compensatory pick from WASH for Morton its just too early for them to cash those chips out and walk away - westy made that pick for his ST i bet he sticks and excells as a punt gunner

also the DB situation is wierd, Herm could just take a liking to a guy we've never really considered like Parent, Alexander, Knight etc and that would shake up the roster, maybe bumping Davison.

Veteran
    I'm confused why you don't have Machado starting somewhere along the OLine? He's the man!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by gmogmo@Aug 7 2003, 01:07 PM
    I'm confused why you don't have Machado starting somewhere along the OLine? He's the man!
    The manatee! That's laughable. :lol:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Aug 7 2003, 12:57 PM
    Bit.....a few weeks ago you were high on Brinker.......have you heard or seen something that takes way from that "positive" feeling??
    well based on the Tokeo game i just don't like him nearly as much - he seemed to be hesitant out there - like alot of the guys

obviously its very tough to layout a 53 man roster with 4 preseason games yet to be played but as it stands right now i like Smart's toughness and ability better than the more highly regarded Brinker -

there is alot of time left for Chad Brinker (and many others) to make the team though - this is just an exersize in gut instinct - something tells me that Ian Smart will be like a pit bull on this team, once clamped will be very hard to separate - every day i hear something about Ian, but have heard nothing about Chad B, Raymonn, Reese, Flowers etc -

that could be the local media or it could be that Ian really is an NFL caliber player

time will tell... to be sure i am higher on his chances than i was a couple months ago. Its the intangibles that will push him over the edge - remember that Herm loves intangibles and also loves the underdog.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

time will tell... to be sure i am higher on his chances than i was a couple months ago. Its the intangibles that will push him over the edge - remember that Herm loves intangibles and also loves the underdog.

Bit,

Smart will make you all forget about Morton. I've been telling you all that since right after the draft. The Kid has heart and Toughness and the will to succeed. Even on his short runs when he was hit multiple times he just doesn't give up. I love that about him. Those are the type of things you just can't coach, you either have it or you don't and Smart's definitely has it. This kid will go far, mark my words.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Phil McG seems to have the inside track over C. Moore, but I agree w/ Bit(besides, I'll owe 4HCrew some rum if not). PM is slow, but has size. Moss makes Moore expendable.

Moses may be better on ST than Glenn. Neither sees time at LB.