MCGARRAHAN INTEREST

The Dolphins might have to bite the bullet and make a trade within their division if they hope to get anything for special-teams ace Scott McGarrahan. The New York Jets and Buffalo have expressed the strongest interest in the backup safety who earlier this week asked to be dealt or released.

McGarrahan, a safety who is running sixth in the battle for five spots at safety on the roster, has been held out of practice and will not play Friday night against Atlanta.

He is expected to be released Saturday if a deal can't be worked out, agent Brett Tessler said.

Found this on the Net., but I'm unaware of the exact source. Seems very credible to me, so I'll post it.

Who is he? Scott McGarrahan played at New Mexico during a very good run for that school. In 1996 and 1997, he teamed with a pair of eventual NFL'ers --Ramos McDonald (CB) and Brian Urlacher (FS) -- to give the Lobos one the best DB units in the nation--which is no small feat for that school......Drafted by the Packers and was an immediate hit on special teams and even started as the "Dimeback", when team went to 3 safeties.....Career took a negative turn in Miami, as he never did anything more than special teams--although he did that real well.....Now caught up in a numbers game as a veteran.

Why Jets should trade a late round pick? McGarrahan could immediately help on special teams and could be a solid backup at SS.....Jets will have a boat-load of extra compensation picks due to all FA's they lost, so trading a 7th rounder won't be huge....Demand seems to be fairly high for Scott, so no way he gets to the Jets on waivers.

Why Jets should stay away from a trade? In the early years (1999), Packers thought they had a real solid prospect. Fell out of a favor a bit when Ron Wolf left....Career in Miami makes one wonder if he's anymore than just a kick and punt coverage player.....Not worth cutting Bautovich and he may not be better than Victor Green anyway.

Reality? With the signing of Sammy Knight and the re-signing of Arturo Freeman, Miami now has too many NFL caliber safeties and McGarrahan seems to be the odd man out....Unless a team trades for him (a possibility), he wont likely reach the Jets in the waiver process....Buffalo seems like a much better fit anyway.

What I would do? McGarrahan is a real nice special teamer and can backup OK at SS. Nontheless, I'd rather stick with Bautovich or sign Green for free.