Thread: Sean Salisbury on ESPNnews

All League
    Basically he said that if CP injury is as long as 12 weeks, which he doubts, then there will be no CP playing this year. Either we will be in the playoff hunt and continue to play VT, or we will be out of contention and there would be no need to risk further injury. I think he has some valid points. He seems convinced though that Chad is not going to be out for 12 weeks. Don't quite get that part..

Banned
    If Chad is healed and the JETS are in the hunt for the Playoffs, then Start him god dammit.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by 1greenNUT@Aug 24 2003, 07:58 PM
    Basically he said that if CP injury is as long as 12 weeks, which he doubts, then there will be no CP playing this year. Either we will be in the playoff hunt and continue to play VT, or we will be out of contention and there would be no need to risk further injury. I think he has some valid points. He seems convinced though that Chad is not going to be out for 12 weeks. Don't quite get that part..
    I saw this as well, but a friend of mine said they saw it last night, so it might have been a repeat. If it was, then Salisbury could not have known the severity of the injury when he made that statement about him coming back sooner.

But I do think he is correct with his assesment regarding Chad being out for the season, with the exeption of one situation: If we are, say, 6-6 or 7-5 when he is healthy and the offense isn't really firing on all cylinders, you can bet your ass CP will be in.

Veteran
    He spoke last night about the injury, before today's announcement, and was adament that chad would be back sooner. I think that he believes that the hand will be healed in about 6 weeks (herm did say 1 week of splint and 4 weeks of cast) and that then it is just a matter of how fast the rehabilitation process takes, as well as how much pain he can stand. I do not necessarily agree with any of this, but that seems to be salibury's position.

All Pro
    Is it Doctor Salisbury? Dude broke 4 of 5 Metacarsal (sp?) bones and has seven pins in his hand and Dr. Salisbury believes he will be back in less then 3 months? Ok.

Veteran
    No, this is definitely a new quote from salisbury, when he spoke last night he never even mentioned 12 weeks or the possibility of chad not coming back this season.

All League
    No, yhis was a new assesment. He had the 12 week info. It was not the same one as yesterday. I saw both.

Veteran
    3 and 3, going into philly with cp is not completely out of the question. a long shot - but thats what i'll pin my hopes on.

i am slightly encouraged by the fact that he will only be in a cast/splint for approx. 5 weeks. 3 weeks of rehab after that and you never know. remember, the jets org. had to give the pessimistic view of the injury - telling us 8 weeks and then not getting him back for 12 would not look good.

All League
    Originally posted by djc@Aug 24 2003, 08:09 PM
    3 and 3, going into philly with cp is not completely out of the question. a long shot - but thats what i'll pin my hopes on.

i am slightly encouraged by the fact that he will only be in a cast/splint for approx. 5 weeks. 3 weeks of rehab after that and you never know. remember, the jets org. had to give the pessimistic view of the injury - telling us 8 weeks and then not getting him back for 12 would not look good.
    Exactly. Dude can still keep fit, be with the team and he WILL still be on the sidelines. We've not lost Chad, he's just got a new role on the team for a little bit.

Practice Squad
    if vinny gets them in contention let him finish it out!!
    he deserves it

Jets Insider VIP
    JI Staff Photographer

I think the Jets FO would give us the worst possible scenerio, to take the pressure off Chad. Why say anything less than the longest time frame? If he makes it back quicker, everyone is thrilled. However, if they give a shorter time frame, and he doesn't make it, then everyone gets down on him.(as in "why is he taking so long to heal? Is it worse than we thought...blah blah blah)

All League
    Originally posted by jetfan1020@Aug 24 2003, 08:49 PM
    if vinny gets them in contention let him finish it out!!
    he deserves it
    I agree, look at the Warner/Bulger scenario from last year. Warner shouldn't have come back in the middle of the team's push. A year later, he is healthy, and rightfully the clear cut starter.

All League
    We should have such "problems" as Testaverde doing so well and Pennington healing quickly. Way too early to discuss. ANd Salisbury is a tool, and his steaks pretty much sucks as well.

All League
    Originally posted by Bugg@Aug 24 2003, 09:02 PM
    We should have such "problems" as Testaverde doing so well and Pennington healing quickly. Way too early to discuss. ANd Salisbury is a tool, and his steaks pretty much sucks as well.
    He was great on Battlebots though. lol

Waterboy
    Originally posted by djc@Aug 24 2003, 08:09 PM

your totally right and i didnt even think about it. The FO is giving us a time frame longer than is expected. He is not facing a 12 week injury. Last night as he was walking to the locker room i knew he had hurt prety seriously. I knew he wouldnt be back in a week or two. Now i have a feeling he will be back by the second game after the bye week. The third game after that at the latest. So he will miss a little less than half the season.

If Vinny T is playing well though and the team is doing well then they are not going to rush him at all. They might want him to get a lot more practice time so he isn't that rusty, and they know they can afford to do that because vinny and the team are playing ok

Jets Insider VIP
    JI Staff Photographer

There's no reason to rush Chad back this season. He's our QB for the future, and considering that (thankfully) this injury didn't occur on his right wrist, he should be 100% healed so that in the years to come he can lead the Jets to a SuperBowl!

Veteran
    I kinda don't mind not having Chad playing behind this year's offensive line. This kind of thing was bound to happen until the line situation got settled ( presently it isn't) Fact is, this line is worse than last year's. I'm not saying they're gonna suck, but there's going to be some bumps in the road along the way to becoming a playoff calibre unit. The potential is there, but it will take a few weeks. Maybe by the time Chad's healed, the line will function as a solid unit and not put our FRANCISE QB in the line of fire. I kinda like the idea that Vinny gets another shot; he's earned it. He has been a team player and a class act with the way he's handled his role with the team. He's capable of starting for several teams and I'm glad he's a Jet today!