Thread: Will Vinnie Step Up!

Waterboy
    Vinnie is a long time veteran quarterback who will be facing probably his last hurrah of his career. He has many highs and lows in his career but this is going to be his greatest challenge.

Last year, he sat back and watched boy wonder, Chad Pennington take over his team and make them winners. I'm sure it was a blow to his ego but as a team player, I'm sure he was very proud of these Jets.

Hopefully, he learned something from last year from the sidelines, which may transcend into a positive. Remember, Vinnie can't do this by himself. Everyone from the coaching staff to all the players have no choice but learn to play as a team and give it their best.

It may be too much to overcome with all the players lost from last year but its going to require all the skill of Coach Edwards and his staff to get the most from his players and rally this team until Chad is ready to return.

I also feel that if the Jets go 7-3 during the season, he be given the opportunity to complete the season. He will have earned that right!

Veteran
    Pressure from the fans, media, etc. - no problem. Pressure from an ineffective O-line - BIG PROBLEM!

Veteran
    If I'm Vinny, I'm gonna call an audible to the OL before every snap:

Guys, this is NOT a SCREEN! You DON'T have to run backwards this time!

...but it won't help.

Rookie
    Vinny is the ultimate loser. Think back to all the games where he didn't step up in. And, yes, there were too many to count. The guy is as dumb as a bag of rocks. I still feel sick from Saturday night.

All Pro
    Vinny simply CANNOT run the WCO, period end of story. He doesn't make quick decisions, he only looks for Chrebet or the RB out of the backfield and he folds into the fetal position at the very first sign of pressure from the defense.

Our defense will look like $hit again because they'll be on the field for 3 quarters of the game completely exhausted after the numerous 3 and outs Vinny will lead.

Our season is over before it even began. I feel really bad for Conway & Moss (whose coming out party is now on hold) because they'll never see the ball.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by pope@Aug 25 2003, 10:50 AM

Our season is over before it even began. I feel really bad for Conway & Moss (whose coming out party is now on hold) because they'll never see the ball.
    Ok Pope so go take your little blanky and cry in the corner of the room. Meanwhile the rest of us will show a little faith in the other 52 players along with Vinny and watch our team do just fine. And you'll still be crying with your little blanky.

All Pro
    Just stating the obvious boozer, I'll root for them all year but you're being awfully naive to think we'll win more than 6 games with Vinny.

Veteran
    Great positive outlook Pope, you were ready to fire herm and bradway after week 4 as well wren't you. Thank god all jets fans aren't like you. show some faith man!!

All Pro
    I have zero faith in Vinny leading this team, sorry but that's just my opinion. For christ sakes it's not like I've decided to become a freaking dolphins fan, I AM STILL GOING TO ROOT FOR THIS TEAM ALL YEAR LONG, JUST LIKE I DO EVERY YEAR but that doesn't mean I have my green tinted glasses on and feel we're going to the playoffs with Interceptverde.

Veteran
    Nice Pope...your using the Intercepteverde moniker now, fits like a glove doesn't it?

Waterboy
    Originally posted by pope@Aug 25 2003, 10:58 AM
    Just stating the obvious boozer, I'll root for them all year but you're being awfully naive to think we'll win more than 6 games with Vinny.
    So, again, I'll be a naive fan while you cry in the corner. And then we'll see how it goes in the end. But, just be sure to watch your step when you try to get back on the bandwagon when we're in the playoff hunt at the end of the season.

All Pro
    Keep those tinted glasses strapped on tight booz, we'll see if your singing the same tune in week 5.

The only way this team goes to the playoffs is if we do in fact trade for Feely or some other qb takes us there.

Veteran
    Chad pennington was nearly a final piece to this team Offensive puzzle. Even though we dont' have him, the wheels wont' fall off the wagon. i'm not predicting great things for the Jets. I never really did this year. But we're aren't going 3-13 or ever 7-9. We have a winner here. We have a solid defense that will sneak up and bite a lot of doubters in the a$$.

Venting yor frustrations is one thing, but lambasting another player before they even suit up for week one is pathetic. Don't fotget 1998 when Vinny was BY far the best QB in th AFC. COnway is underrated. Moss will stretch the field. Wayne's got the underneath routes set. If hackett loosens the pruse strings a bit for Vinny, the jets will fly.

REMEMBER, a lot of teams around the NFL (including the Rams) said that the Jets Offense (with Vinny at the helm) is going to be a DANGEROUS team. We are still that same team. We've got a 3rd year star int he making in Moss, a wily veteran who just know how to get open. A star WR that hasn't gotten the spotlight because of the crap he's had thorwing the ball to him. Curtis has two ankles again. Lamont will keep him fresh and keep defenses on thier heels.

Ill see you on the bandwagon come week 7 or 8. Don't expect a welcome back party though buddy.

Waterboy
    Originally posted by pope@Aug 25 2003, 11:10 AM
    Keep those tinted glasses strapped on tight booz, we'll see if your singing the same tune in week 5.

The only way this team goes to the playoffs is if we do in fact trade for Feely or some other qb takes us there.
    Hey Pope I sing the same tune all year, I love my team. I wouldn't ever call it quits in the preseason. That's just sad.

Veteran
    It makes me sick to think that I'm going to have to watch Vinny taking snaps for most, if not all, of this season. I really can't take it any more, this sucks.

I'm sorry for all the Vinny fans out there, but the guy just plain sucks. Face it. Remember how pathetic he looked at the beginning of the season last year? Remember how ineffective the offense was? Get used to it, folks, it's gonna be a long season!

I have to go puke now...

All Pro
    I love my team too but that doesn't mean I have to think they're going to be good.

Veteran
    Vinnie has had a chance now to digest the offensive scheme and watch another QB work. Sometimes this can help tremendously. I think Vinnie will be fine as long as he isn't asked to win the game.

This however is the problem. QB was the strongest position for the Jets. But now it's regulated to be just another role. Sure as anything, Vinnie will try to do too much and make mistakes. It's just who he is.

With Herm trying out different guys on both sides of the ball, he might want to concider putting a linebacker 20 yards behind Vinnie to make tackles.

All Pro
    We all gave Cowatt and Fergy a pass last year since it was their first year back from major surgery. Well, Vinny in 2001 was playing his first year under the WCO and had a tough time. Last year, the whole team was playing horrible when Chad took over.

This is the 3rd year for Vinny. He has no doubt learned a lot more about the WCO, especially from observing and mentoring Chad last year.

I won't predict that he will have a 104 rating, or throw 22 TD's and only 6 INT's, but he will play better than he showed in the past under this system.

Originally posted by Big Al NYC@Aug 25 2003, 11:15 AM
    It makes me sick to think that I'm going to have to watch Vinny taking snaps for most, if not all, of this season. I really can't take it any more, this sucks.

I'm sorry for all the Vinny fans out there, but the guy just plain sucks. Face it. Remember how pathetic he looked at the beginning of the season last year? Remember how ineffective the offense was? Get used to it, folks, it's gonna be a long season!

I have to go puke now...
    the team sucked early last year,not just Vinny,but I have to agree that by watching the offense run the right way,he'll have a better feel for it,Hacket will also run a more tailor made offense for him.

Rookie
    Before the Jets got spanked the first 4 games of the year with Vinny,he very quitly put up huge numbers in the opener vs Buffalo if I can remember correctly. He had a pair of touchdowns,over 200 yds passing, No INT or maybe 1, and was like 20 for 28 or something., I think he still has a little gas left in tank, but the team needs to step up now more than ever. GO VINNY AND GO JETS!!!