Thread: The REAL problem

Veteran
    Forget Chad and Vinny for a moment...

Will we be able to stop anybody on defense this year? Our defense is an absolute joke right now.

Banned
    This is too important to overlook.

The defense is way too porous right now.

Third downs have been terrible.

All League
    The LBs are what they are-not very fast but savvy. We can live with them, but don't expect them to be super.

The DBs are also adequate-nothing more. They might be able to do a good job if there was a pass rush, which brings us to the core problem...

THIS DL SUCKS. With all the talent and money, what do we really have...Robertson is gonna be a player, Abraham can play well when healthy and...

Ellis is awfully quiet, Ferguson is a joke at his price, Thomas is a bust and the "depth" is less than useless.

There's not much of a pass rush. Robertson can stop the tackle-to-tackle runs, but outside runs forget it.

With all this top draft pick talent and the small fortune they're paying Ferguson, there has to be better production.

And some hard questions have to be asked-

Why was Ferguson re-upped at this absurd price?

Who thought it was a great idea to sign druggie Josh Evans?

Some people on this board have a better opinion of each of these guys, and frankly, no one is gameplanning against either(and Evans' problems were damn near inevitable).

Who thought small school dumbass Bryan Thomas was worth a top pick?Drafting like this costs you in having to sign overpriced FA dregs, which we're already doing here at way too many positions-Beasley, D. ABraham, Garnes, Cowart, Szott(all of whom can be good, but if you aren't getting draft picks in the lineup, you're inevitably going to overpay)

How does Ruben Carter still have a job here?

Veteran
    Is it me, or does it seem like the people on this board think that we're in week 7 or 8 by now. Can i remind everyone THAT WE'RE STILL IN PRESEASON. This is a time for adjustments and getting the Bench straightened out. Team that dominate in the preseason are just wasting energy. Our DB's are respected and play the cover 2 week enough. We improved with John Mcgraw and a rhythm will develop quickly between them because 75% of the DB's are returning (as opposed to 25% from last year.

The passrush will be stellar. Ellis is not a bust, Thomas still is in infancy. Abraham and Robesterson will create more opportunity for the rest of the folks.

Our LB's have skill and moderate speed, but they've got a nose for the football. Everything will come together fine, you just watch. This is the most SOLID team the jets have put together in years. Sure it's not a Ferrari, but i'd rather have a nice F-150 anyways- that's what we have. A good solid team.

I'll take that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Didn't we go 4-0 in the preseason last year, and look like the second coming of the steel curtain? Let's see what happens when the games count.

Veteran
    Originally posted by PhillyJetsPhanatic@Aug 25 2003, 11:07 AM
    Is it me, or does it seem like the people on this board think that we're in week 7 or 8 by now. Can i remind everyone THAT WE'RE STILL IN PRESEASON. This is a time for adjustments and getting the Bench straightened out. Team that dominate in the preseason are just wasting energy. Our DB's are respected and play the cover 2 week enough. We improved with John Mcgraw and a rhythm will develop quickly between them because 75% of the DB's are returning (as opposed to 25% from last year.

The passrush will be stellar. Ellis is not a bust, Thomas still is in infancy. Abraham and Robesterson will create more opportunity for the rest of the folks.

Our LB's have skill and moderate speed, but they've got a nose for the football. Everything will come together fine, you just watch. This is the most SOLID team the jets have put together in years. Sure it's not a Ferrari, but i'd rather have a nice F-150 anyways- that's what we have. A good solid team.

I'll take that.
    Pass rush stellar? Nobody touched Collins all night.
    Run defense? 10 min drive...about 4-6 yds a pop!

Geez...I hope your right Philly, but wouldnt they have shown us something ??

Rookie
    It's been an aweful pre-season.

Let's not forget that most teams, us included, don't scheme in the pre-season. I'm not saying that our Defense is in good shape (I'm less than excited), but don't get upset just based on what you've seen during the games in August.

Sure we didn't touch Collins, but we're just running plays/sets to run them for the most part. And like him or not, Cottrell is smart enough to know that we play the Giants for real this year. He's not gonna show Fassel anything that even remotely resembles what we'll run on 11/2.

Besides, there are a whole bunch of other reasons to be afraid of what we're gonna see from the D once the games count, not the least of which is the fact that they'll be spending a lot of time on the field.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but...

Veteran
    The defense looks terrible, just like last pre-season, which carried over into the 2002 regular season. I really am concerned about another slow start on defense for the NY Jets.

All Pro
    Philly, the team is not as good as last years team. Never mind the 99 team.
    The oline is a shell of its former self. Martin is not the same as he was 4 years ago. No Aaron Glenn. And the coaching staff is not up to that level.

I admire fans that stick by their team. but there is no reason to put your head in the sand.

Banned
    Originally posted by PhillyJetsPhanatic@Aug 25 2003, 11:07 AM
    The passrush will be stellar.
    Stellar?

STELLAR?!

<_<

Hall Of Fame
    I posted this assessment on another thread, but i&#39;ll repost here in regards to someone else saying that our D sucks this year:

okay, are you saying our best performer is gone...since we lost Robinson and Evans, I&#39;m gonna hope you were reffering to the latter. Do you seriously think Evans was our best player last year??? You&#39;re nuts, how about John Abraham, he wears #94 BTW, I think he is our best player, I would tell you that Shaun Ellis had an outstanding year, better than Evans for sure&#33;&#33;&#33; Now Evans is gone for a few games and he has been replaced by Dewayne and Glock, is that a downgrade??? doubtful, Bryan Thomas is at least up to weight and showing signs of life, he can&#39;t possibly be worse or even the same as last year, so that makes him better as well...another upgrade

Let&#39;s talk LBers, Mo had some serious bone chips taken out of his hip and looked like the Mo of old in the preseason, Cowart looks alot more like his old self this year than last year and even took a pay cut to prove to the team and fans that he is still a player, our depth is a little depleted with the loss of Darling but we have some talent there and need someone to step up, ala Hobson, Moses, Kampbell, Glenn, the depth issue is a little worse than last year but the starters are better

How bout the secondary??? Robinson-gonzo&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; automatic upgrade, through in McGraw who will be a S-T-U-D and we look better already, both corners improved down the stretch last year, Bease and Abe, and there is no reason to believe that they will regress, especially since Bease came in almost 20 pounds lighter than he did last year and is quicker

Considering all of those facts, no opinions at all, how can anyone be worried or concerned about our D??? because we didn&#39;t look great in preseason playing a base cover 2??? Please there is no argument there, if I missed something please enlighten me

Veteran
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Aug 26 2003, 02:43 PM
    I posted this assessment on another thread, but i&#39;ll repost here in regards to someone else saying that our D sucks this year:

okay, are you saying our best performer is gone...since we lost Robinson and Evans, I&#39;m gonna hope you were reffering to the latter. Do you seriously think Evans was our best player last year??? You&#39;re nuts, how about John Abraham, he wears #94 BTW, I think he is our best player, I would tell you that Shaun Ellis had an outstanding year, better than Evans for sure&#33;&#33;&#33; Now Evans is gone for a few games and he has been replaced by Dewayne and Glock, is that a downgrade??? doubtful, Bryan Thomas is at least up to weight and showing signs of life, he can&#39;t possibly be worse or even the same as last year, so that makes him better as well...another upgrade

Let&#39;s talk LBers, Mo had some serious bone chips taken out of his hip and looked like the Mo of old in the preseason, Cowart looks alot more like his old self this year than last year and even took a pay cut to prove to the team and fans that he is still a player, our depth is a little depleted with the loss of Darling but we have some talent there and need someone to step up, ala Hobson, Moses, Kampbell, Glenn, the depth issue is a little worse than last year but the starters are better

How bout the secondary??? Robinson-gonzo&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; automatic upgrade, through in McGraw who will be a S-T-U-D and we look better already, both corners improved down the stretch last year, Bease and Abe, and there is no reason to believe that they will regress, especially since Bease came in almost 20 pounds lighter than he did last year and is quicker

Considering all of those facts, no opinions at all, how can anyone be worried or concerned about our D??? because we didn&#39;t look great in preseason playing a base cover 2??? Please there is no argument there, if I missed something please enlighten me
    SAME ANSWER

Evans- best performer last year. Ellis close second. Evans is gone indefinitely which you hope means 8 games but all you can do is hope.
    Abraham-most talented,at times our best player but people around here talk like he&#39;s LT or even Ray Lewis. At crunch tim he gets the flu, give me a break.
    DR and Glock- good additions. Our #1 deficiency was inside on DL and we now have 700lbs of resons to be hopeful. BT, B-U-S-T until proven innocent.
    Mo- a warrior for years. Hope he&#39;s healty and back to his old self. Cowart-definite under achiever last year. Hope he can produce at a higher level this year. If so, he&#39;s grade A player. Depth a big issue.
    Damien- addition by subtraction.
    McGraw- looks like a player
    Beas and Abe-sloooow, the DL better show up bigtime or they will be exposed.

My "facts" have just as much validity as yours.

Bottom line: where is the leadership? Last year it came from Evans and he&#39;s gone. It needs to come from the players themselves not the coaches.

Until all that HOPE is replaced by actual performance you better believe I&#39;m worried. And rightfully so.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Jethead+Aug 26 2003, 03:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jethead @ Aug 26 2003, 03:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green@Aug 26 2003, 02:43 PM

SAME ANSWER

Evans- best performer last year. Ellis close second. Evans is gone indefinitely which you hope means 8 games but all you can do is hope.
    Abraham-most talented,at times our best player but people around here talk like he&#39;s LT or even Ray Lewis. At crunch tim he gets the flu, give me a break.
    DR and Glock- good additions. Our #1 deficiency was inside on DL and we now have 700lbs of resons to be hopeful. BT, B-U-S-T until proven innocent.
    Mo- a warrior for years. Hope he&#39;s healty and back to his old self. Cowart-definite under achiever last year. Hope he can produce at a higher level this year. If so, he&#39;s grade A player. Depth a big issue.

Bottom line: where is the leadership? Last year it came from Evans and he&#39;s gone. It needs to come from the players themselves not the coaches.

Until all that HOPE is replaced by actual performance you better believe I&#39;m worried. And rightfully so. [/b][/quote]
    are you threatening me....

nah let&#39;s not start that crap again, lol

Veteran
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Aug 26 2003, 03:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mean Bro Green @ Aug 26 2003, 03:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Jethead@Aug 26 2003, 03:42 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green
    @Aug 26 2003, 02:43 PM

SAME ANSWER

Until all that HOPE is replaced by actual performance you better believe I&#39;m worried. And rightfully so.
    are you threatening me....

nah let&#39;s not start that crap again, lol [/b][/quote]
    you spiced up an otherwise dull afternoon MBG. Nice chatting with you.