Thread: The Worst Thing About This

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The worst thing about VT being our starting QB is that I have to wade through all this wild speculation and in-fighting about whether he sucks or whether he REALLY sucks for the next 10 days. He's our frickin quarterback folks, and I for one REFUSE TO LET THIS SITUATION REDUCE THE IMPATIENCE AND ANTICIPATION I HAVE FELT FOR THE LAST 3 MONTHS...I'M READY FOR SOME JETS BALL DAMMIT! WE CAN BEAT WASHINGTON...LET'S TAKE IT ONE F*&%#$NG GAME AT A TIME.

Banned
    In all reality we have no other choice.

We have to play the hand we're delt.

Veteran
    If this had happen to most teams their season would be done. Vinny is in there he will be fine as long as Hackett retools to offense to the way Vinny plays, not Vinny changing himself to suit Hackett.

It's on Hackett to adapt and change.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

We have a choice whether or not to piss and moan about it. There are "fans" on this site selling their season tickets. Anyone who's been a fan as long as I have knows that we never achieve SH-T when there are any kind of expectations placed upon this team. Conversely, our finest moments (and seasons) come through from under a heap of adversity and/or low expectations.

All League
    shakin the first time Vinny connects with Santana Moss on a post pattern the critics and naysayers will shrivel and dry up like a hemmorhoid.

All League
    Anyone who has followed the history of the JETS knows as the favorites we have done miserably-especially at home games.

This makes us more of the underdogs going into the season-I say good let us prove the experts wrong one more time-just like Joe Willie and company did in 1969. Go JETS!

Banned
    The most interesting thing so far is that I'm tending to agree w/shakin's posts today.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

There are POSITIVES to this situation.

1) Vinny's stronger arm should help take advantage of Moss' speed on deep balls (how many of those did we have last year), and hopefully keep the DBs a bit more honest -- which could give the run game the help it apparently needs

2) Vinny's rested and in shape -- and not coming back from a major injury as he was in 2000.

3) You canNOT blame the team's slow start on Vinny last year...trying to dig out of a big hole before the end of the first quarter ain't exactly in the QB's best interests. The D needs to take much of the blame for last season's horrible start.

4) This team only seems to perform when responding to wake-up calls -- well this year we got ours in the preseason.

5) It's not Rick Mirer.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by tailgators@Aug 25 2003, 02:03 PM
    The most interesting thing so far is that I'm tending to agree w/shakin's posts today.
    See, there is a light at the end of the tunnel......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Banned
    Originally posted by shakin318@Aug 25 2003, 02:10 PM
    3) You canNOT blame the team's slow start on Vinny last year...
    Except that Vinnie and Hacket don't seem to work together very well.

I'm hoping that by now they'll have their communications problems worked out.

Rookie
    Originally posted by shakin318@Aug 25 2003, 03:47 PM
    The worst thing about VT being our starting QB is that I have to wade through all this wild speculation and in-fighting about whether he sucks or whether he REALLY sucks for the next 10 days. He's our frickin quarterback folks, and I for one REFUSE TO LET THIS SITUATION REDUCE THE IMPATIENCE AND ANTICIPATION I HAVE FELT FOR THE LAST 3 MONTHS...I'M READY FOR SOME JETS BALL DAMMIT! WE CAN BEAT WASHINGTON...LET'S TAKE IT ONE F*&%#$NG GAME AT A TIME.
    I couldn't agree with you more. You hit the nail right on the head. You speak for allot of us, and we need more talk like that on this site. If we beat the 'Skins, I'll be so freakin' happy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by tailgators+Aug 25 2003, 02:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tailgators @ Aug 25 2003, 02:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--shakin318@Aug 25 2003, 02:10 PM
    3) You canNOT blame the team&#39;s slow start on Vinny last year...
    Except that Vinnie and Hacket don&#39;t seem to work together very well.

I&#39;m hoping that by now they&#39;ll have their communications problems worked out. [/b][/quote]
    Vinny and Hackett took this team to the playoffs. There was much room for improvement, both of them realize it, and they have their experiences to build upon and their lessons to be learned from. Herm won&#39;t put up with any more "miscommunications" -- trust me on that.

All Pro
    Vinny was my f*@#kin&#39; hero in &#39;98. When he went down to the achilles injury, I figured he was done professionally, but he came back. Last year we got off to a bad start. Poor tackling and missed assignments were to blame IMHO. Herm made a decision to spark the team ala Chad, and it worked, and we forgot about Vinny. He&#39;s quietly been a backup and a Chad supporter ever since - Until Now&#33; This is Vinny&#39;s last chance to get it done. The 40,000 yd plateau, AND the ultimate prize...a Super Bowl victory back here in NY&#33;&#33; Yes, I know it seems far fetched, but I&#39;m NOT going to bash Vinny, he&#39;s ALL WE GOT NOW&#33;&#33; Jesus, imagine if we had Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Ray Lucas [the way he played last year with the &#39;Fins], or even worse, one of those clown QB&#39;s that Dallas has, Ugh, those cats are AWEFUL&#33; Until Vinny proves that he can&#39;t get it done anymore THIS YEAR - I&#39;m going to support him to the end

Banned
    I just find it laughable that some of the fans on this message board actually think that with Chad Pennington this team was automatically going to win the SB, and now that he&#39;s out, the team is going to finish in last place.

There&#39;s an old saying:

You can&#39;t miss what you aint never had. We&#39;ll never know, of course, but who&#39;s to say the Jets would have had a crappy year with Chad not getting hurt? I would never presume to know that, but then again maybe some of you need to check your presumptions that the season is over without Chad, because you honestly don&#39;t know how things would have turned out if he did play, and you don&#39;t know for certain that Vinny is going to fail. You can draw all the conclusions you want, based on past experience, but it adds up to nothing in the end.

Fortune plays a role in victory or success, and there are no guaruntees. Ever.

The season isn&#39;t over. It just started&#33;

Maxman
    Originally posted by WestCoastMole@Aug 25 2003, 02:02 PM
    shakin the first time Vinny connects with Santana Moss on a post pattern the critics and naysayers will shrivel and dry up like a hemmorhoid.
    LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by WestCoastMole@Aug 25 2003, 02:02 PM
    What about the first time he throws an INT that is returned for a touchdown?

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

You won&#39;t see MY tickets for sale. I&#39;m still looking forward to football, and if I ever can&#39;t make it, my seats will be given to someone I sit near or tailgate with every gameday. We won&#39;t miss the ones who bail out. They probably sit on thier hands all day anyway. They should stay home. We need fans who are loud and enjoy being there in the 1st place.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Piper+Aug 25 2003, 03:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Piper @ Aug 25 2003, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--WestCoastMole@Aug 25 2003, 02:02 PM
    What about the first time he throws an INT that is returned for a touchdown? [/b][/quote]
    Like it&#39;s never happened to Elway, Montana, Kelly, need I go on..........

All League
    Here&#39;s hoping the pass protection is stellar...VT HAS TO HAVE THAT in order to be effective. He&#39;s more mobile than, say a Bledsoe, but that&#39;s not saying much.

I have a story:

two years ago a "franchise" QB goes down and the second string qb comes in and leads his team to a magical season.

It&#39;s the NFL. Anything can happen. I doubt it, but I&#39;ll never say never.