Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milloy's Good Bye

Veteran
    Rival revival: Milloy signs with Bills
    By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff, 9/4/2003

If it had been a few years earlier, Lawyer Milloy wouldn't have handled it like this. Just moments after agreeing to an estimated four-year, $15 million deal with a signing bonus of approximately $5 million with the Buffalo Bills, a day after being released by the Patriots, Milloy declined to take shots at the Patriots on his way out the door.

"I just don't want to do it that way," said Milloy, who will earn about $9.75 million in the first two years of the contract and close to $7 million (including bonus and a $2 million base salary this season). "I think I've come a long way like that."

Not that he didn't say what he felt. He's always done that.

He was disappointed in Bill Belichick, the coach he endorsed in 2000, when he and Belichick were signed to longterm deals. He didn't like the way Belichick handled his situation in the end, and he acknowledged that at one point last Thursday when Belichick informed him he'd be released if he didn't take a pay cut. "I walked out on him," said Milloy, explaining he felt betrayed by someone he respected and had played hard for.

Asked to respond, Belichick said only that he has "a lot of respect for Lawyer as a person and a player."

Milloy wasn't in a funk too long after he was released.

"The Buffalo Bills made me feel good again," said Milloy. "They stepped right up to the plate. They made their best offer, and it showed me how much they wanted me. All of the teams in it -- Washington, New Orleans, they all gave a great shot. I was getting calls from general managers and owners and they were making me feel so wanted. I can't tell you how much I needed that after the last few days in New England."

The days leading up to his release were not the most pleasant in Milloy's NFL career. When he returned to Foxborough last Sunday for practice, he asked Belichick the same question he asked himself out loud: "Why are you doing this to me?" He had been the loyal soldier, the perfect teammate. He had taken the leadership role, did everything the coach and the organization asked him to do. He never missed a practice or a game.

Milloy said the Sunday meeting with Belichick was more cordial. Belichick told him how much he appreciated what he had done for the team and the organization. But it wasn't enough.

"I play this game for pride and respect, and I don't feel like I got it back," said Milloy.

According to Milloy, he saw this coming.

After Milloy's previous agent, Ray Anderson, left to become a vice president with the Atlanta Falcons, Milloy hired Carl Poston of Houston, known as a tough negotiator.

"Carl Poston is the best agent in the NFL," said Milloy. "He did an unbelievable job in this situation."

Milloy said the Patriots wanted him to take a $1.9 million cut in pay, from $4.4 million to $2.5 million, the amount he made in 2002. Milloy wouldn't budge, and Poston negotiated with Patriots vice president Andy Wasynczuk for the better part of the weekend.

Milloy did confirm the sides had been getting closer. In the end, Milloy said the Patriots wanted him to cut his salary to $3 million, a $1.4 million cut.

Milloy said Poston was given the go-ahead to pursue other deals. According to Milloy, Washington jumped out of the gate with interest. CNN/SI reported that the Redskins may have made Milloy a seven-year offer, with a $6.5 million signing bonus and average salary of $3.6 million.

As more calls were made, Poston and Milloy realized there was a market for Milloy's services, and a pretty good market.

"I think the Patriots felt that I wouldn't be able to get this kind of deal this close to the beginning of the season," said Milloy. "I came back to them and said unless you match this, I'm gone."

Rather than accept the Patriots' ultimatum, Milloy said he asked for his release and he was granted his wish.

Milloy was also Angry at a rumor -- which he thought was initiated by the Patriots -- spreading around the league that he had lost quite a bit of speed.

"I've never worked harder on my conditioning and my speed more than I have this offseason," said Milloy. "I did a 4.3 40-yard for the Patriots in the offseason. You can ask the strength coach."

With the Patriots moving to a 3-4 defense, he understood "this was going to be a linebacker-oriented defense. And when they asked me take a pay cut, knowing what this defense had become, why would I do that? This just accelerated the free agent process for me. I knew this was probably my last season in New England. But I thought we had one more year together. Those guys -- like Ty [Law] and [Tom] Brady, those guys are my brothers. I loved playing with them. I'll miss them so much."

As for the fans, "I feel bad for them. They were always behind me. I can't tell you about the outpouring I've received from the fans through this. They've been so behind me. I get really emotional about it because they deserved better. I'll never forget the people there."

Milloy said he's been in close contact with Bills quarterback Drew Bledsoe through the negotiations. And Milloy knows how much the both of them want to win a championship.

"I'm going to a very good team," said Milloy. "I just hope I can go in there and contribute right away. I know I can. I just have to learn the system and get that down. I know the fans in Buffalo love their team. The fans are really into it. I'm going to feed off that."

About facing the Patriots right off the bat, "What more can you ask for?"

On the bright side, you still get to see him twice a year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Law and the Patriot nation are finding out what those of us who watched mumbles steal money from a dying old man already knew.

Mumbles is a deceitful scumbag.

All League
    The sports business is driven by economics just as much or more than pure talent on the field
    Do not feel too sorry for Milloy-he still will make millions in his contract that is much more than most of us ordinary fans will ever see in our lifetime.
    It is tough when you are a fan and have loyalty to team and players that the players are constantly changing unlike the old days.

Veteran
    Just would love to know where Washington gets the money to make offers for these guys. The Buffalo Defense after a couple of weeks is going to be very tough....once these players jell together.

Veteran
    Originally posted by faba@Sep 4 2003, 09:50 AM
    The sports business is driven by economics just as much or more than pure talent on the field
    Do not feel too sorry for Milloy-he still will make millions in his contract that is much more than most of us ordinary fans will ever see in our lifetime.
    It is tough when you are a fan and have loyalty to team and players that the players are constantly changing unlike the old days.
    Who cares if they make millions more than most of us ordinary fans will make....what does that have to do with the cost of tea in China?

Next you are going to be telling me that teachers, firefighers, and cops are the real heros blah-blah-blah.

I understand what you are getting at, but that's not the point I'm trying to make....I'll I'm saying was it was fun to root for a guy like this, now my affinity for the Bills (big Drew fan too) just got a bit stronger. Still have to go Pats #1 though.

All League
    Gmogmo
    I was actually agreeing with your sentiment-as a fan of the PAts and the players you get "attached" to certain players-it is a disappointment to see Milloy and Bledsoe leave-I understand that

Veteran
    Sorry Faba...that was kind of a dick response from me, my bad.

All League
    You know something G - you aren't a true Pats fan then. A true Pats fan pays allegience to the flying Elvis and bids a fond farewll to a departed player and hopes they kick their ass when they meet.

Football is DRIVEN by economics......Milloy would rather have the money and play in the tundra known as Buffalo. He sure got what he wanted....but you know what they say (actually MILLOY said this) BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

He's the enemy now; and although I wish him well, I hope the Pats beat him down on Sunday.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Garbanza@Sep 4 2003, 08:02 AM
    You know something G - you aren't a true Pats fan then. A true Pats fan pays allegience to the flying Elvis and bids a fond farewll to a departed player and hopes they kick their ass when they meet.

Football is DRIVEN by economics......Milloy would rather have the money and play in the tundra known as Buffalo. He sure got what he wanted....but you know what they say (actually MILLOY said this) BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

He's the enemy now; and although I wish him well, I hope the Pats beat him down on Sunday.
    Milloy is a greedy bum who can't play, right?

Garb - you seem nice enough, but go easy on the preachy lectures, gmogmo has been a season-ticket holder since 94 and lives and dies with the Pats.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Sniff.. sniff....... Is this football or a tired episode of Oprah?

Veteran
    whatever Garb....go iron my shirt or something

it's a freaking game for God's sake, I'll surely still root for the Pats...but I don't blindly just stop rooting for a guy who gave his heart and soul for team just because he's in a different uniform.

All Pro
    Originally posted by jets5ever+Sep 4 2003, 09:07 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jets5ever @ Sep 4 2003, 09:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Garbanza@Sep 4 2003, 08:02 AM
    You know something G - you aren&#39;t a true Pats fan then. A true Pats fan pays allegience to the flying Elvis and bids a fond farewll to a departed player and hopes they kick their ass when they meet.

He&#39;s the enemy now; and although I wish him well, I hope the Pats beat him down on Sunday.
    Milloy is a greedy bum who can&#39;t play, right?

Garb - you seem nice enough, but go easy on the preachy lectures, gmogmo has been a season-ticket holder since 94 and lives and dies with the Pats. [/b][/quote]
    He&#39;s also one of more knowledgeable Pats fans out there. He&#39;s down now, but he&#39;ll be OK.

All Pro
    I wish him the best just not when he plays the pats.

Rookie
    gmogmo, I feel your pain. I felt the same way when the Jets cut Victor Green. I still miss the guy.

All League
    I said I wish him the best, but hope we beat his new team&#39;s butt. Will I miss his Fire? Absolutely. Never said I wouldn&#39;t. He is gone now. Move on. To hell with him. Serioulsy, it&#39;s sooooooo Boston Fandom to cry for weeks over spilt milk. To fall for all the media&#39;s agenda (both print, radio and tv). Suddenly Potson (scumbag lawyer/agent) is a great man and Milloy equates money to respect and many media members say "bravo." Funny.....I don&#39;t remember them saying Bravo for that about ANY other player. You see, it seems like there is just much too much good will towards the Pats and their management since their SB run/victory. Just doesn&#39;t gel with the bashing nature of the media here and the cynical "oh poor us, we&#39;ve been jobed" mentality of a good portion of the fans.

I remember sitting in the aluminum seats at the Old Stadium when the place was half empty because they had no fan support back in 1989, 1990, etc. Those would be called the Lost Years. I was there. I didn&#39;t jump on the bandwagon when they hired Parcells like a gazillion "fans" did. So, I understand being a "fan."

This is an emotional issue. Interestingly enough, this release invokes more emotion that the Bledsoe trade. That&#39;s because Milloy was a real VOCAL leader. A lunch-pail, in your face, strong work ethic, prideful, stubborn man. That appeals to EVERYONE who has any sort of Boston (or NE) roots. He was a FAN FAVORITE for sure. I will miss him too.

All Pro
    (Piper Posted: Sep 4 2003, 07:48 AM)
    Mumbles is a deceitful scumbag.
    Ya think?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    so he goes from a salary of 4.5 to a bonus of 5 plus salary

he made out.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Garbanza@Sep 4 2003, 11:34 AM
    He is gone now. Move on. To hell with him.
    It&#39;s comments like this that make you look stupid....why do you feel that way about a guy who did so much for organization? Who never missed a practice, never missed a game, sold out his body for the good of the team? Just like Drew, he was a quality professional who left it all on the field....sorry, but that means something to me honey.

I&#39;ve had season tickets since 94, and I&#39;ve been going to games since I was a kid....as a matter of fact I used to come down from Amherst twice a year during the 90-94 years so don&#39;t lecture me about being a "great" fan.

I&#39;m not saying I hate the Pats now, all I&#39;m saying is that I think this move was BS and could have been avoided. Bellicheck is a great coach, but I&#39;m afriad his lack of "people skills" for lack of a better word could come back to bite him and the team in the ass.

Football is a different type of game than others, trust me I&#39;ve played it. You need to be 100% behind your coach, and you need to buy into eveyrthing he says and be willing to sell out for him. My personal feeling is that I think this confidence took a hit when they let Milloy go.....he was that popular within the team. Hopefully I&#39;m wrong, but I do know I wish nothing but the best for guys like Drew and Milloy..guys who are so easy to root for because of the way they both play the game, and the way they act off the field.

Veteran
    I&#39;ll leave you with this quote Garbanza....

``I think the fans of Boston have seen me grow from a 22-year-old snide-nosed punk into the man that I am,&#39;&#39; he said. ``And I think I can hold my head up high and say that I honored every thing, every contract. I played hard, I showed up every day for the fans in Boston. . . . I owe everything to the city of Boston and I&#39;ll always have a spot in my heart for them. It&#39;s hard.&#39;&#39;