Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts after first week

Undrafted Free Agent
    His off season failures showed up everywhere.
    We lost players we needed, and made no effort to upgrade in free agency while our division rival did.
    We should have tried for Spikes, or Colvin, or Washington, or Adams.

Our corners stink and he ignored it.

Lamont Jordon deserves to start. I love Curtis, but we could have won in DC if Lamont was used more.

Vinny has out stayed his welcome.

We need a pro active GM.

It's going to be a long one gang Angry

Rookie
    You are right. Bradway is the ultimate loser. But, now we are stuck with him. Another 4-5 years of so-so play and then maybe, Woody will do something.
    Very sad!

Banned
    LOOK OUT BELOW!! ... here come the excuses

Trust me, I've heard them all ... they will be coming in shortly

All Pro
    Originally posted by GreenPetey@Sep 8 2003, 12:53 PM
    We lost players we needed, and made no effort to upgrade in free agency while our division rival did.

Lamont Jordon deserves to start. I love Curtis, but we could have won in DC if Lamont was used more.

We need a pro active GM.

Right - let's go through another season of changing half the personnel on defense, and watch it take 5-6 games until they gel. The corners will be fine. You saw, after making adjustments at halftime, they played bery well in the 2nd half.

If you're talking Sam Adams or Ted Washington, where exactly do you intend to play them? The defensive line was not a problem in game 1. In fact, it was one of the few bright spots.

We weren't winning in DC with Jim Brown or Gale Sayers back there. You can't keep shoving the ball up the gut against an 8 man front.

Bradway is 2 for 2 in getting to the playoffs under his regime. And this year, he has lost his starting Q/B before game 1. And you want to can him.

C'MON!!!

All League
    Not sure if this is entirely true. It's impossible to gauge with only 6 carries, but he managed to conjur up a goose egg for those attempts.

Banned
    Bottom Line: What is a GM's job ... what does he do ... how is he judged?

Very simple ... a GM's job is to aquire talented football players, by hook or by crook

At the end of the day, when all of the excuses have been exhausted, you look at the 53 man roster and if you are fielding a more talented team than most ... your GM is doing a GOOD JOB

If you are fielding one of the most talented teams in the league ... your GM has done an EXCEPTIONAL JOB

And if your roster is loaded with over-paid vets on the downside of their careers {devouring huge chunks of cap space}, a few decent young players, and the rest leaves much to be desired ... your GM has DROPPED THE BALL

And then you look at the FA pickups ... how many steals in the bunch and how many stiffs?

Is it safe to say that the stiffs FAR OUTWEIGH the steals during TB's tenure?

Add that to the sub-par drafts and what you get is an aging lineup with no real help in site ... or at least, not the kinda help that gets anyone excited.

Basically, under TB this roster seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

Now if you wanna see a roster that is heading in the RIGHT DIRECTION ... if you wanna see what that looks like ... and we're talkin about a GM that has been in place the EXACT SAME 3 YEARS ... take a long/hard look at the Buffalo Bills.

In three short years {same as TB}, Tom Donahoe has taken the LEAST talented team in the division and transformed them into the MOST talented team in the division ... AND THAT AIN'T NO LIE

Trust me, you don't wanna compare rosters with the Buffalo Bills ... it will only make you depressed

NOW THAT {Tom Donahoe} is what a BIGTIME GM looks like ... that's what his roster looks like after a few years on the job.

Like I said, after all of the excuses have been exhausted ... you judge a GM by his roster

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ho-hum: The Jets fans that are fence sitters are having their day.

They flop like fish (no-pun intended) on the turn of any game.

First 5 games last year was a free-for-all. End of last year was a love in.

When the Jets special teams was getting beat by onside kicks, Westhoff was the biggest fraud in coaching. Now he is the best part of a terrible staff.

So predictible. I always love the one that "Herm and Bradway" won with Parcells' team. Tell that one again-LOL

Practice Squad

We need a pro active GM.

Green:
    As one of most vehement critics of Terry Bradway, I couldn't agree with you more. We're saddled with a GM who doesn't understand free agency like his counterpart, Donohoe in Buffalo, does. He persists on getting cheap free agents like Tyrone Carter and Tom Nutten instead of getting quality players like Spikes, Posey and Milloy (all Buffalo acquisitions). And for all those posters who discredited Milloy because he would cost too much, well take a look from an excerpt from today's Boston Herald:

" Playing every snap that mattered, Milloy made more plays in one afternoon than he seemingly did all last season. He had a sack. He had a deflected pass that led to an interception in the end zone. He finished with five tackles and was a presence from the opening kickoff".

I'm sick and tired of hearing this talk that we shouldn't get this player and that player because they cost too much. Apparently, GM Donohoe didn't think they cost too much and now his pro-active risk taking is paying dividends in Buffalo. Anyone care to dispute this, because if you do, you'll
    continue to look foolish and naive - just like our GM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ho-hum: The Jets fans that are fence sitters are having their day.

They flop like fish (no-pun intended) on the turn of any game.

First 5 games last year was a free-for-all. End of last year was a love in.

When the Jets special teams was getting beat by onside kicks, Westhoff was the biggest fraud in coaching. Now he is the best part of a terrible staff.

So predictible. I always love the one that "Herm and Bradway" won with Parcells' team. Tell that one again-LOL

Banned
    Originally posted by mbn007@Sep 8 2003, 01:15 PM
    Right - let's go through another season of changing half the personnel on defense, and watch it take 5-6 games until they gel.
    Wait a second ... how did the Bills make all of those changes and bust out of the gate like worldbeaters?

How come it didn't take them 5 or 6 games to gel?

And how bout the 2001 Patriots ... who brought in 17 new players ... how did they win the SB?

And how bout the Rams, when they revamped their entire defense in the off-season {practiaclly the entire defense} ... and promptly went to the SB?

Come to think of it, in this age of free agency it seems nearly every team makes multiple changes from year to year ... but only WE seem to have this gelling issue?

Well we kept the changes to a minimum this off-season {cause we were assured that was the cause of our slow starts} ... but it didn't seem to help in DC

Which all leaves me to wonder ... maybe it has nothing to do with changes ... maybe it's okay to make changes if you bring in GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYERS ... maybe we just start slow cause we need to get this whole TC thing worked out ... or maybe when we do sign FA's, we just need to sign BETTER PLAYERS?

In fact, maybe that whole spin out of hofstra about "personnel changes" causing our slow starts was nothing more than that ... SPIN ... and better yet, CYA SPIN {the most common kind}

Just a few things worth considering <_<

Rookie
    I don&#39;t look at the Milloy thing as a big deal - we are okay at safety... We shouldn&#39;t sign guys just because they are available.

If it was a starting guard or tackle I might think differently but for a safety I&#39;m not going to freak out - I like Garnes & think he will be a productive player this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Sep 8 2003, 01:32 PM
    Bottom Line: What is a GM&#39;s job ... what does he do ... how is he judged?

Very simple ... a GM&#39;s job is to aquire talented football players, by hook or by crook

At the end of the day, when all of the excuses have been exhausted, you look at the 53 man roster and if you are fielding a more talented team than most ... your GM is doing a GOOD JOB

If you are field one of the most talented teams in the league ... your GM has done an EXCEPTIONAL JOB

And if your roster is loaded with over-paid vets on the downside of their careers {devouring huge chunks of cap space}, a few decent young players, and the rest leaves much to be desired ... your GM has DROPPED THE BALL

And then you look at the FA pickups ... how many steals in the bunch and how many stiffs?

Is it safe to say that the stiffs FAR OUTWEIGH the steals during TB&#39;s tenure?

Add that to the sub-par drafts and what you get is an aging lineup with no real help in site ... or at least, not the kinda help that gets anyone excited.

Basically, under TB this roster seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

Now if you wanna see a roster that is heading in the RIGHT DIRECTION ... if you wanna see what that looks like ... and we&#39;re talkin about a GM that has been in place the EXACT SAME 3 YEARS ... take a long/hard look at the Buffalo Bills.

In three short years {same as TB}, Tom Donahoe has taken the LEAST talented team in the division and transformed them into the MOST talented team in the division ... AND THAT AIN&#39;T NO LIE

Trust me, you don&#39;t wanna compare rosters with the Buffalo Bills ... it will only make you depressed

NOW THAT {Tom Donahoe} is what a BIGTIME GM looks like ... that&#39;s what his roster looks like after a few years on the job.

Like I said, after all of the excuses have been exhausted ... you judge a GM by his roster
    GJH-I agree withy what you say and the overall appearance of reluts do not ring tru to this point.

But I also know something else-That Bradway has shown glimpses of what you look for in a GM. More than anything else, he cares about this team and wants to be in the position that he is in. He also cares about the LONG TERM health of this organization.

In all honesty what GM in the history of Jet football can you say that about????? I realize that those are considered minor traits to what you ultimately ask for of your GM, but they are a heck of a start to what we have had here.

You know what the biggest fault is of the Jets through history????-Knee jerk reactions and failure to let a regime take its course.

The Jets have been guilt far too often of throwing the towel in and starting over. And that sets a franchise back big time. the best thing a franchise can have is stabilty.

And the Jets have been to unstable for too long.

For the sake of the future, I say give Bradway two more years after this to let his program play out. Soon, the Jets will be able to be players in FA again-And I mean tru Free Agents that can make a duifference.

If we are still saying the same things in 2 years, I agree, make changes.

But sometimes, making changes for the sake of making changes is the worst that you can do.

We know all too well

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: some of you people are nuts&#33;&#33;&#33; We lost a game on the raod by 3 friggin points and all u are doing is knocking our GM that has made the playoffs two years in a row and also add in a friggin Div championship????

Get real&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Try being a Pats/Fish right about now&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

We lost a close game and we have had about 10 days to get it together.

The Pats were Drubbed by the Bills and the future superbowl Champion Dolphins were beaten by the Texans. I saw the game and Miami&#39;s D-line did nothing.....the secondary was also exposed and Sam Madison might not play against us cause he hurt his ankel.

This is a critical week 2 game and we got Miami at the right time @ home.......Instead of constantly looking at our flaws....it would be incredible if some of you can concentrate on whats at hand....week 2 VS the fish.

This 1st week of football showed a lot of flaws in many team....instead of harping on it...move the f**k on...........some of you soe like broken records.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Bradway has been the luckiest guy on earth. His ineptitude has been hidden by a great Bill Parcells draft and a great motivational coach that enabled this team to get to the playoffs two years in a row.

Take a look by position:
    offensive line-- still small, no push in the running game. Was a major need in the offseason that wasn&#39;t addressed in the draft or free agency. Best player on line, brought in by Parcells. Only Bradway contributor is Mckenzie.

Quarterback-- what needs to be said, Pennington was the lynch pin of Parcells great draft and the cornerstone of the franchise.

Running backs-- given a huge contract when he is on the wrong side of 30 and has obviously lost a step and some burst. Lamont Jordan may or may not be our back of the future but failure of management to give this guy at least one 20 carry game does not allow us to find out. Could possibly go into next year with no viable impact feature back. Have not drafted any dynamic quick ,elusive third down back type runners.

Recievers--mismanagment of Coles situation cost us a quarterback recieving tandem that might have been the best in Jets history. Jury still out on ist round pick Santana Moss. No other significant talent at wide reciever brought in in three years.

Defensive line-- as of now, all impact players brought in during Parcells regime. Robertson was a no guts no glory move that may pay huge dividends. Bryan Thomas is a possible first round bust .

Linebackers--Jury is still out on Cowert but he may never be the player he was in Buffalo. Allowing Jones and Lewis to grow old and slow with no replacemnts was a major mistake although it does look like Victor Hobson can be a excellent player. This defense is predicated on speed at linebacker and it was an obvious offseason need that wasn&#39;t addressed.

Secondary-- adequate starting corners brought in last year but no outstanding young talent brought in in three years (with possible exception of Henderson) . Only if Mcgraw becomes a player will they have added any young talent to the secondary.

On top of all this Bradway seems to be more of a reactive G.M. than a proactive one and he doesn&#39;t seem to manipulate the draft very well either. We always seem to figure out ways to lose picks but never manipulate the draft to gain any. It sure would be exciting to be sitting in New England&#39;s position with two first round picks and three second round picks next year. I guarantee Belicheck will parley that into even more picks on draft day.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jetsons12@aol.com@Sep 8 2003, 01:59 PM
    Bradway has been the luckiest guy on earth. His ineptitude has been hidden by a great Bill Parcells draft and a great motivational coach that enabled this team to get to the playoffs two years in a row.

Take a look by position:
    offensive line-- still small, no push in the running game. Was a major need in the offseason that wasn&#39;t addressed in the draft or free agency. Best player on line, brought in by Parcells. Only Bradway contributor is Mckenzie.

Quarterback-- what needs to be said, Pennington was the lynch pin of Parcells great draft and the cornerstone of the franchise.

Running backs-- given a huge contract when he is on the wrong side of 30 and has obviously lost a step and some burst. Lamont Jordan may or may not be our back of the future but failure of management to give this guy at least one 20 carry game does not allow us to find out. Could possibly go into next year with no viable impact feature back. Have not drafted any dynamic quick ,elusive third down back type runners.

Recievers--mismanagment of Coles situation cost us a quarterback recieving tandem that might have been the best in Jets history. Jury still out on ist round pick Santana Moss. No other significant talent at wide reciever brought in in three years.

Defensive line-- as of now, all impact players brought in during Parcells regime. Robertson was a no guts no glory move that may pay huge dividends. Bryan Thomas is a possible first round bust .

Linebackers--Jury is still out on Cowert but he may never be the player he was in Buffalo. Allowing Jones and Lewis to grow old and slow with no replacemnts was a major mistake although it does look like Victor Hobson can be a excellent player. This defense is predicated on speed at linebacker and it was an obvious offseason need that wasn&#39;t addressed.

Secondary-- adequate starting corners brought in last year but no outstanding young talent brought in in three years (with possible exception of Henderson) . Only if Mcgraw becomes a player will they have added any young talent to the secondary.

On top of all this Bradway seems to be more of a reactive G.M. than a proactive one and he doesn&#39;t seem to manipulate the draft very well either. We always seem to figure out ways to lose picks but never manipulate the draft to gain any. It sure would be exciting to be sitting in New England&#39;s position with two first round picks and three second round picks next year. I guarantee Belicheck will parley that into even more picks on draft day.
    First off-I think Parcells is a gerat coach and was very good breath of fresh air to this organization. God bless him for that.

But for him to be considered to still be affecting this franchise and getting credit foir those results may be one of the most silly things I have ever heard.

Jetson-Bill drafted Chad-Surely you jest. It was Al Groh that pulled the trigger on that one. Lets not let a good story be hurt by facts though, right?

If Parcells is still getting credit "snicker" for Jet achievements 3 years later, shouldnt Kotite get credit for the 98 season? Isn&#39;t that how this silly game works?

Great Parcells drafts?-again I snicker at you Jetson.

By my account, no more than ha;lf of the starters on last years units were coached by Parcells. BUT this is still Parcells team?

Jetson-you are reaching

JetsInsider.com Legend
    hey bottom line if it were up to the fans the team would have fired everyone and start the rebuilding process after every loss.

i say this out of brotherly love: some of yall need to seriously look into anti-depressants they are much better than they used to be.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: Bitonti I agree with u 100%

All Pro
    Originally posted by Scott Dierking@Sep 8 2003, 02:09 PM

First off-I think Parcells is a gerat coach and was very good breath of fresh air to this organization. God bless him for that.

But for him to be considered to still be affecting this franchise and getting credit foir those results may be one of the most silly things I have ever heard.

Jetson-Bill drafted Chad-Surely you jest. It was Al Groh that pulled the trigger on that one. Lets not let a good story be hurt by facts though, right?

If Parcells is still getting credit "snicker" for Jet achievements 3 years later, shouldnt Kotite get credit for the 98 season? Isn&#39;t that how this silly game works?

Great Parcells drafts?-again I snicker at you Jetson.

By my account, no more than ha;lf of the starters on last years units were coached by Parcells. BUT this is still Parcells team?

Jetson-you are reaching
    Every move that any GM makes has its critics and believers. This thread, except for you, seems full of distractors. I believe the results speak for themselves.

That comment about the contract to Martin. Should we have left the one that Parcells gave him, and not re-signed him to the newer one, then we would have had a &#036;19.5 million cap hit over the next 2 years. But the distractors on this thread can&#39;t (or won&#39;t) see that. They only see the current contract, without knowing the history.

There are simple responses to almost all the points he&#39;s making. But why bother - you won&#39;t change his mind.

Hall Of Fame
    the bottom line here is that this is all too early. who is to say that the bills are going to be so good? who is to say that the jets wont be great this year?
    ITS BEEN ONE GAME ONLY&#33;
    show me a bills team that finishes 13-3 and a jets team that finishes 7-9 and then you have the right to blab.
    ALSO, i dont think its fair to judge terry bradway by his rooster. his choice of pets is his right.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Originally posted by jetsfreak@Sep 8 2003, 01:55 PM
    :ph34r: some of you people are nuts&#33;&#33;&#33; We lost a game on the raod by 3 friggin points and all u are doing is knocking our GM that has made the playoffs two years in a row and also add in a friggin Div championship????

Get real&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Try being a Pats/Fish right about now&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

We lost a close game and we have had about 10 days to get it together.

The Pats were Drubbed by the Bills and the future superbowl Champion Dolphins were beaten by the Texans. I saw the game and Miami&#39;s D-line did nothing.....the secondary was also exposed and Sam Madison might not play against us cause he hurt his ankel.

This is a critical week 2 game and we got Miami at the right time @ home.......Instead of constantly looking at our flaws....it would be incredible if some of you can concentrate on whats at hand....week 2 VS the fish.

This 1st week of football showed a lot of flaws in many team....instead of harping on it...move the f**k on...........some of you soe like broken records.
    Thank You&#33;&#33; The negativity is really starting to get to me. It&#39;s ONE GAME. And you&#39;re right freak. I guarantee the same posters that are bashing everyone now will be all luvy duvy when the Jets turn it around and make the playoffs...AGAIN....Relax everybody..I sense good times are coming...and oh by the way...after we beat the Fish on Sunday I&#39;m on my way back to Foxboro for the fifth year in a row. The Jets haven&#39;t lost at Foxboro since I&#39;ve been going to the games........can anyone say 2-1...Let&#39;s Go Jets&#33;&#33;