Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: John Ritter

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Wow, I can't believe he passed away last night at the young age of 54

Rest in peace John..........

John Ritter, whose portrayal of the bumbling but lovable Jack Tripper helped make the madcap comedy series "Three's Company" a smash hit in the 1970s, has died, his publicist and longtime assistant said Friday. He was 54.

Ritter fell ill Thursday on the set of his ABC sitcom "8 Simple Rules ... For Dating My Teenage Daughter," said Susan Wilcox, his assistant of 22 years. The cause of death was a dissection of the aorta, the result of an unrecognized flaw in his heart, said his publicist, Lisa Kasteler.

Ritter died at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday,

Ritter, a Southern California native who lived in Beverly Hills, came to prominence for his role in "Three's Company" and had appeared in more than 25 television movies and a number of films.

Ritter, who would have turned 55 on Wednesday, made a successful return to sitcom acting with "8 Simple Rules" last year, and the ABC show was scheduled to begin its second season on Sept. 23.

At the Burbank hospital where he died, Ritter was accompanied by producers and co-workers, his wife, Amy Yasbeck, and 23-year-old son Jason, Wilcox said. He is survived by three other children, Carly, Tyler and Stella.

Ritter was the youngest son of Western film star and country musician Tex Ritter. He graduated from Hollywood High School and earned a degree in drama from the University of Southern California.

Ritter appeared in more than 50 plays nationwide and won critical acclaim for his recent nine-month role in the Broadway premiere of Neil Simon's "The Dinner Party."

He received an Emmy and other awards for his "Three's Company" role and was honored by the Los Angeles Music Center in June with a lifetime achievement award.

Maxman
    I was really shocked by this. Fell sick on Thurs and dead on Friday? It really serves as a reminder how precious life is.

May he rest in peace and God Bless his family.

Veteran
    My wifes first love died yesterday of a massive heart attack at the age of 39. One never knows.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Maxman@Sep 12 2003, 06:56 AM
    I was really shocked by this. Fell sick on Thurs and dead on Friday? It really serves as a reminder how precious life is.

May he rest in peace and God Bless his family.
    Yes Maxie, life is too precious and most of us take it for granted......after losing a fiance at a very young age (25) and losing my best friend at a very young age (29) and others, too many to mention.......you tend to live each day to the fullest and just enjoy it.....life is too short.....
    We should all take a lesson from this........

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by jayrad01@Sep 12 2003, 07:02 AM
    My wifes first love died yesterday of a massive heart attack at the age of 39. One never knows.
    You're right, one never knows when their time is up.......sad but true.......

All League
    I grew up watching Three's Company and later in reruns-it was one of the few TV shows that I enjoyed watching.
    He was part of old fashioned comedy-slapstick and innuendos that truly were funny
    IT again makes you realize how precious life is and to do as much as you can every day.
    RIP John and sympathy to the family he leaves behind.

Veteran
    It's a shame he was a nice man!

Hall Of Fame
    John was a class act and is part o fmy fondest memories from television as a youth, we still watch him on Nick at Nite, anyone remember the movie Time Bandits with the midgets in it??? that was cool, RIP Tripper

Banned
    May Jack Tripper rest in peace. I am 31 and anyone who is around my age fondly remembers Three's company because Jack Tripper made that show...he was by far the funniest one there. I hope that he gets his respect and some kind of posthumous lifetime thingee from the EMMY awards. I know he won an emmy before but they should honor him....

I cant believe Johnny Cash is dead....may the Man in Black rest in peace..

Truly a sad day...

LL

Bitter
    Originally posted by Mean Bro Green@Sep 12 2003, 08:20 AM
    anyone remember the movie Time Bandits with the midgets in it??? that was cool, RIP Tripper
    Are you kidding me? I loved that movie as a kid. For some reason I don't remember Ritter being in the movie though. This is really sad. Just like the rest of you I grew up watching Three's Company.

What a shame. I feel as if a part of my youth has died. Three's Comany will always be a classic.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by huskeralk+Sep 12 2003, 11:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (huskeralk @ Sep 12 2003, 11:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green@Sep 12 2003, 08:20 AM
    anyone remember the movie Time Bandits with the midgets in it??? that was cool, RIP Tripper
    Are you kidding me? I loved that movie as a kid. For some reason I don&#39;t remember Ritter being in the movie though. This is really sad. Just like the rest of you I grew up watching Three&#39;s Company. [/b][/quote]
    you&#39;re right, I checked ...why did I think he was in that, anyway he is still the man

my daughter loves him as the voice of Clifford the big red dog too&#33;&#33;&#33;

Birth Name: Jonathan Southworth Ritter
    Birthdate: September 17, 1948
    Birthplace: Burbank, California
    Occupations: Actor, Producer
    Claim to Fame: Played Jack Tripper on the popular ABC sitcom Three&#39;s Company (1977-84)

Significant Other(s):
    Wife: Amy Yasbeck, actress; married September 18, 1999, in her hometown of Wilmington, Ohio
    Wife: Nancy Morgan (aka Nancy Karen Morgan), actress; married October 1977; separated 1993; filed for divorce September 1996

Family:
    Father: Tex Ritter, actor, singer; born 1905; died 1974
    Mother: Dorothy Fay Ritter (née Southworth, aka Dorothy Fay), actress
    Brother: Tom Ritter, older
    Son: Jason Ritter; mother, Nancy Morgan
    Son: Tyler Ritter; mother, Nancy Morgan
    Daughter: Carly Ritter; mother, Nancy Morgan
    Daughter: Stella Ritter; born 1998; mother, Amy Yasbeck

Awards:
    1983: Golden Globe: Best Actor in a Series (Musical or Comedy), Three&#39;s Company
    1984: Emmy: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, Three&#39;s Company
    1986: Emmy: Outstanding Host, Superfest: A Celebration of Ability; shared award with brother Tom
    1988: People&#39;s Choice: Favorite Male Performer in a New TV Program
    2001: Theatre World Award, The Dinner Party

Factoids:
    Executive-produced the short-lived ABC sitcom Have Faith (1989)

Education:
    University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California; BFA, Theater Arts, 1971
    Studied acting with Stella Adler and Nina Foch
    Harvey Lembeck Comedy Workshop (studied four years)

Rookie
    What a shame...he was one of my fave&#39;s

Rookie
    This is very sad. This man epitomized the word "COMPASSION". He was a great actor and great comedian. 54 is too young to go. The world just lost a really great guy. Rest In Peace.

Practice Squad
    I know none of you here are NASCAR fan&#39;s but this is another tragic story that recently happened. It has to do with Dale Jarrett&#39;s crew chief&#39;s wife getting killed by a drunk driver just after she had finally overcome medical battles and had a baby. her sisters also were killed.

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/6746841.htm

Veteran
    I am only 18 and even I watched every Three&#39;s Company episode on Nick at Nite. I hope they have a tribute to him. He is one of the greatest comics ever. He always put a great effort in to his comedy. It is a shame for him to go only at 54. That was totally unexpected. For me it is very sad. Other young comedians should watch him. True professional.

We&#39;ll miss you John&#33;&#33;&#33;

DOLPHINWORSHIPPER2
    I watch Three&#39;s Company just about every night on Nick (11-11:30-11:30-12:00) at nite as I dose off to sleep. It won&#39;t be the same.

Veteran
    I don&#39;t know why, because of course, I didn&#39;t know the guy -- but since I heard it on the news this morning, I&#39;ve felt a little depressed.

I hate hearing when young people, that live relatively clean lives, don&#39;t engage in dangerous hobbies and seem so active, just die of these weird medical conditions.

Real shame and definately a talented guy. God bless...

All Pro
    Originally posted by huskeralk+Sep 12 2003, 11:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (huskeralk @ Sep 12 2003, 11:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mean Bro Green@Sep 12 2003, 08:20 AM
    Are you kidding me? I loved that movie as a kid. For some reason I don&#39;t remember Ritter being in the movie though. This is really sad. Just like the rest of you I grew up watching Three&#39;s Company. [/b][/quote]
    Its amazing how many movies he was in - Skin Deep and Real Men are classics, along with Problem Child and Bride of Chucky

Bad Santa (2003) -
    Manhood (2003) - Eli
    Man Of The Year (2002) - Bill
    Tadpole (2002) - Stanley Grubman
    Lost in the Pershing Point Hotel (2000) - Christian Therapist (cameo)
    Panic (2000) - Dr. Josh
    Terror Tract (2000) - Bob Carter (Segment "Make Me an Offer")
    Tripfall (2000) - Tom Williams
    Holy Joe (1999) - Joe Cass
    It Came From the Sky (1999) - Donald Bridges
    Lethal Vows (1999) - Dr. David Farris
    Bride of Chucky (1998) - Chief Warren Kincaid
    Chance of a Lifetime (1998) - Tom Maguire
    Dead Husbands (1998) - Dr. Carter Elston
    I Woke Up Early The Day I Died (1998) - Robert Forrest
    Montanta (1998) - Dr. Wexler
    Shadow of Doubt (1998) - Steven Mayer
    A Child&#39;s Wish (1997) - Ed Chandler
    A Gun, a Car, a Blonde (1997) - Duncan
    Loss of Faith (1997) - Bruce Simon Barker
    Nowhere (1997) - Moses Helper (cameo)
    Sink or Swim (1997) - Hank
    The Colony (1996) - Rick Knowlton
    Mercenary (HBO-TV) (1996) - Jonas Ambler
    Sling Blade (1996) - Vaughan Cunningham
    Unforgivable (1996) - Paul Hegstrom
    The Barefoot Executive (1995) - Roger
    Gramps (1995) - Clarke MacGruder
    North (1994) - Ward Nelson
    The Only Way Out (1993) - Jeremy Carlisle
    Noises Off... (1992) - Garry Lejeune/Roger Tramplemain
    Stay Tuned (1992) - Roy Knable
    The Summer My Father Grew Up (1991) - Paul
    The Dreamer of Oz (1990) - Lyman Frank Baum
    Problem Child (1990) - Ben Healy
    Problem Child (1990) - Ben Healy
    Stephen King&#39;s It (1990) - Ben Hanscom
    My Brother&#39;s Wife (1989) - Barney
    Skin Deep (1989) - Zach
    Tricks of the Trade (1988) - Donald Todsen (Cameo)
    The Last Fling (1987) - Phillip Reed
    Prison for Children (1987) - David Royce
    Real Men (1987) - Bob Wilson
    The Flight of Dragons (1986) - Peter Dickenson
    A Smoky Mountain Christmas (1986) - Judge Harold Benton
    Unnatural causes (1986) - Frank Coleman
    Letting Go (1985) - Alex
    Love Thy Neighbor (1984) - Danny Loeb
    Sunset Limousine (1983) - Alan O&#39;Black
    In Love with an Older Woman (1982) -
    Pray TV (1982) - Tom McPherson
    They All Laughed (1981) - Charles Rutledge
    Wholly Moses (1980) - Satan (The Devil)
    Wholly Moses (1980) - Satan (The Devil)
    The Comeback Kid (1980) - Bubba Newman
    Heartbeat (1980) - Bill Grant
    Hero at Large (1980) - Steve Nichols
    Americathon (1979) - President Chet Roosevelt
    The United Cerebral Palsy Weekend With The Stars Telethons (1978) - Co-Host
    Breakfast in Bed (1978) - Paul
    Leave Yesterday Behind (1978) - Paul Stallings
    Ringo (1978) -
    Nickelodeon (1976) - Franklin Frank
    The Night That Panicked America (1975) - Walter Wingate
    The Stone Killer (1973) - Officer Mort
    The Other (1972) - Rider
    Evil Roy Slade (1971) - Minister
    Scandalous John (1971) - Wandell
    Echoes of the Sixties - Himself

Veteran
    It is terrible that a dumb**** like Ozzy Ozbourne would live as long or longer than John Ritter.