Thread: Nice guy Herm, but is he smart enough?

Veteran
    You ever think he might not have the Head coach smarts..........He was never a coordinator or head coach and his HORRENDOUS game and clock management shows it.....why the hell was a non coordinator ever hired anyway........why the hell didnt they go to the no huddle earlier??????????? Crazy..........Why the hell didnt they kick a field goal with 30 seconds left and then do a on- sides- kick?????? Crazy......I dont think he gets it.....He hears Hacketts calls in the headset, he can overrule some of these plays......Why do we always burn a timeout here and there.......and to think the coaching vacancy came down to a proven coordinator in John Fox and a DB coach in Herm........damn...........Bradway isnt a gem either, he hired a non coordinator to keep more power himself in my opinion.........

Banned
    Lets see here:

3 years as the head coach

3 years where the Jets, clearly out-of-shape and lethargic, are NOT ready for the opening weeks of the season.

BUT...2 playoff appearances thanks to late season runs. Something doesn't compute here!

TomShane
    From the NY Post

The man doing the yelling sounded more like an irate Bill Parcells than it did Herman Edwards, the eternal optimist and master of composure.

Yet Edwards sounded as if he'd reached the end of his rope.

<Yawn> Well, Herm is upset. I hope he was screaming into the mirror. The state of this team falls directly on his shoulders. Chad or no Chad, this team is un-f*&king-prepared to win a football game practically every week.

Let Herm scream all he wants and pull that
    bulls&#036;%t &#39;Shrek&#39; crap again. I&#39;m sick of the tolerance for mediocrity around the Jets, and it&#39;s just completely disturbing to watch Herm in his press conferences rationalize not being prepared. Some day the man is going to run out of excuses.

Veteran
    Injuries happen, but there is no denying this guy is TERRIBLE at game management........why didnt we run the no huddle earler??????? and conventional strategy says when down 2 scores (but less than 2 TDs) you kick the FG if time is short to get the score,,thenm on sides kick and throw a few hail mary&#39;s,,,doesnt help to score a TD with 3 seconds left and no time to get ball back...........the guy doesnt freakin get it,,,i really think he is not smart enough to be a head coach..........

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by NY SackExchange@Sep 15 2003, 10:20 AM
    Lets see here:

3 years where the Jets, clearly out-of-shape and lethargic, are NOT ready for the opening weeks of the season.

BUT...2 playoff appearances thanks to late season runs. Something doesn&#39;t compute here&#33;
    NYSE
    that whole thing about bradway/edwards and what they have done in 3 years could be a smokescreen.
    Keep in mind that they inherited not a basketcase, but a good team with a lot of weapons.
    Even though they have ended a few season on a high note, there has been a slow and steady decline both in play and in FO personel decisions. Now, its possible the chickens are coming home to roost.

Very soon these mysteries will be answered as the jets slip into more peril and we see what herm does about it. I would be happy if herm made a ton of changes, in both players and in the power of hackett, but if he does nothing then he is a notch above kotite. Yes, i said that

All League
    Scary thing is, if they do go down and unload, who&#39;s making those personnel decisions?The same imaginative folks who unloaded 3/5s of a good OL(Jenkins, Young and Thomas); 2 solid CBS(Glenn and Coleman) A good Safety(Green) and a Pro Bowl Wr in Coles. And look at the FAs they&#39;ve signed and their drafts-awful.

I know...THE CAP. Still a more imaginative FO would have found a way to keep some of the above. And make some better picks than Thomas(manhandled again yesterday on the rare occasions he got on the field), Harper, Pagel and Askew(did any see the field?).

If we&#39;re gonna rebuild(which is the move and can be done in a sesaon) having this bunch of numbnuts making the decisions is not a positive.

All League
    Herm is better suited to go on a Motivation tour with Tony Robbins.

Banned
    Originally posted by dickkotite+Sep 15 2003, 10:36 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dickkotite @ Sep 15 2003, 10:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--NY SackExchange@Sep 15 2003, 10:20 AM
    Lets see here:

BUT...2 playoff appearances thanks to late season runs. Something doesn&#39;t compute here&#33;
    NYSE
    that whole thing about bradway/edwards and what they have done in 3 years could be a smokescreen.
    Keep in mind that they inherited not a basketcase, but a good team with a lot of weapons.
    Even though they have ended a few season on a high note, there has been a slow and steady decline both in play and in FO personel decisions. Now, its possible the chickens are coming home to roost.

Very soon these mysteries will be answered as the jets slip into more peril and we see what herm does about it. I would be happy if herm made a ton of changes, in both players and in the power of hackett, but if he does nothing then he is a notch above kotite. Yes, i said that [/b][/quote]
    That is true...Herm and Bradway did inherit a good team. While I dont think he is as bad as Kotite, Coslet or Carroll...he doesn&#39;t have any idea what the hell he is doing on the sidelines&#33;

Has there ever been a worse H/C at clock management??? It truly boggles the mind when I see a team, down by 18 points playing with no sense of urgency at all. Especially when the no-huddle was the only thing useful to the offense yesterday&#33; Then, after Vinny&#39;s INT that put the final nail in our coffin...Herm calls a timeout&#33;

Ass Backwards

All League
    Originally posted by Bugg@Sep 15 2003, 12:07 PM
    2 solid CBS(Glenn and Coleman)
    I&#39;m not defending the front office or the coaching staff, because I believe that is where the trouble really is. The deal that unloaded Glenn and Coleman was one of the few good ones. Even with Glenn making the pro bowl last year, the contracts that Tuna left them with made it impossible to pass this deal up.

Rookie
    Herm is just a terrible football coach. He is a nice man and would make a great high school guidance counseler.

Maxman
    You guys are out of control. Way out of control. Seriously try and get a grip. It is not like Herm is the only winning coach we ever had or anything.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Maxman@Sep 15 2003, 03:31 PM
    You guys are out of control. Way out of control. Seriously try and get a grip. It is not like Herm is the only winning coach we ever had or anything.
    OK, thats fair...In your years of experience watchin NFL ball,,,on a scale of 1 (worst ) to 10 (best) where do u rate Herm on clock management???

Maxman
    Originally posted by southernjet+Sep 15 2003, 01:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (southernjet @ Sep 15 2003, 01:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman@Sep 15 2003, 03:31 PM
    OK, thats fair...In your years of experience watchin NFL ball,,,on a scale of 1 (worst ) to 10 (best) where do u rate Herm on clock management??? [/b][/quote]
    This is an area that can use improvement. I am not a huge fan of taking a time out everytime there is a decision to be made (go for it, kick fg etc). But you guys are calling for his head. And that makes no sense.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Maxman+Sep 15 2003, 03:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Sep 15 2003, 03:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -southernjet@Sep 15 2003, 01:33 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman
    @Sep 15 2003, 03:31 PM

OK, thats fair...In your years of experience watchin NFL ball,,,on a scale of 1 (worst ) to 10 (best) where do u rate Herm on clock management???
    This is an area that can use improvement. I am not a huge fan of taking a time out everytime there is a decision to be made (go for it, kick fg etc). But you guys are calling for his head. And that makes no sense. [/b][/quote]
    I understand,,,but what do u think??? give me a # between 1 and 10 for clock management based on what you have seen,,,i would say 1 or 2 at best.....thats because it was a 1 his first year and he doesnt seem to be improving,,,what do u think....

Maxman
    Originally posted by southernjet+Sep 15 2003, 01:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (southernjet @ Sep 15 2003, 01:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Maxman@Sep 15 2003, 03:36 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman

This is an area that can use improvement. I am not a huge fan of taking a time out everytime there is a decision to be made (go for it, kick fg etc). But you guys are calling for his head. And that makes no sense.
    I understand,,,but what do u think??? give me a # between 1 and 10 for clock management based on what you have seen,,,i would say 1 or 2 at best.....thats because it was a 1 his first year and he doesnt seem to be improving,,,what do u think.... [/b][/quote]
    After the personal attacks that you made on me (other thread) I think you are not capable of an intelligent conversation.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Maxman+Sep 15 2003, 03:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Sep 15 2003, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -southernjet@Sep 15 2003, 01:38 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman

I understand,,,but what do u think??? give me a # between 1 and 10 for clock management based on what you have seen,,,i would say 1 or 2 at best.....thats because it was a 1 his first year and he doesnt seem to be improving,,,what do u think....
    After the personal attacks that you made on me (other thread) I think you are not capable of an intelligent conversation. [/b][/quote]
    In other words you wont take a stand on gaugiing Herms skills,,,,I knew you wouldnt..........

Maxman
    Originally posted by southernjet+Sep 15 2003, 01:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (southernjet @ Sep 15 2003, 01:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Maxman@Sep 15 2003, 03:43 PM
    Originally posted by -southernjet@Sep 15 2003, 01:38 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman

After the personal attacks that you made on me (other thread) I think you are not capable of an intelligent conversation.
    In other words you wont take a stand on gaugiing Herms skills,,,,I knew you wouldnt.......... [/b][/quote]
    Oh and I am the one who is Anal? I am being persecuted because I won&#39;t assign a number to a skill set.

I would say that Herm is a 6.84 out of 10 in the Clock Management category. They aren&#39;t exactly running the John Elway 2 minute offense here but then again Mike Martz he is not.

TomShane
    Herm is in over his head. He is just not tough enough to get the job done. Some guys are CEO&#39;s and some guys are middle management. Herm is incapable of making the tough decisions, and being the "bad guy." There is no sense of personal responsibility on this team, there is no fear of a poor performance, and the goal is not to dominate, as it should be, but rather to "compete." That is just not good enough.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I&#39;m not sure there&#39;s any better way to determine quality of coaching than results at the end of a season. By that measure, you have to say that Herm is doing well.

Look at Pete Carroll. Fair with the Jets, ugly with the Pats, but looking like he was tailor-made for the college coaching ranks. Could anyone say that a guy like Carroll would have brought the Jets to the playoffs two years in a row? And for that matter, could Herm have turned the Trojans around (actually, I think he&#39;d be a lights-out college recruiter/coach).

I think I&#39;d only call a coach a failure in one of two instances: (a) after a poor season record, or (B) after a disastrous mid-season - one where he just lost the team.

I read Herm s&#036;cks stuff early in the season last year and "master motivator" stuff all off-season. It can&#39;t be both.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Rah@Sep 15 2003, 01:54 PM
    I&#39;m not sure there&#39;s any better way to determine quality of coaching than results at the end of a season. By that measure, you have to say that Herm is doing well.

Look at Pete Carroll. Fair with the Jets, ugly with the Pats, but looking like he was tailor-made for the college coaching ranks. Could anyone say that a guy like Carroll would have brought the Jets to the playoffs two years in a row? And for that matter, could Herm have turned the Trojans around (actually, I think he&#39;d be a lights-out college recruiter/coach).

I think I&#39;d only call a coach a failure in one of two instances: (a) after a poor season record, or (B) after a disastrous mid-season - one where he just lost the team.

I read Herm s&#036;cks stuff early in the season last year and "master motivator" stuff all off-season. It can&#39;t be both.
    RAH
    you bring up a very valid point.
    BUT, also remember how he inherited a good team with weapons. Remember how all these decent seasons were not without a ton of drama. remember that just like a player, you got to give 3 or 4 years to evaluate and right now, to me , it looks like herm was riding the highs of tunas accomplishments and NOT adding to it. If he were ADDING to it, we wouldnt be looking like one of the worst teams in the league. hey, i dont like saying it but go look at the stats.
    so now we will really know whats up with this silly smiling fool. If he turns it around again and we make the playoffs, send me salt to spread on my hat as i eat it. But, this might be the beginning of the end too.